Share your success story about raising kids outside of the JW religion.....

by QuestioningEverything 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

This is in response to a poster/troll who said that the JW life is the only way to raise a responsible, moral young person.

I have 3 sons--19, 18 and 14. The oldest two just finished up their first year in college-not community college(nothing wrong with that) they are at a state university. One made the Dean's list both semesters. My youngest is in the National Jr. Honor Society. They haven't been to jail, gotten anyone pregnant and are polite, respectful young men.

Raising them outside of the restraints of the JW religion was one of the best choices I made as a parent.

Please share your parenting success story....

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

My son graduated last summer with an MA from Glasgow University and since then he's been teaching at a college in Spain.

My mother, a JW died recently without ever having met him.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Wow-very impressive, Rob. He sounds like a terrific young man. Sorry your mom didn't have the chance to meet him.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Hi, QE. She had lots of chances - but I was the very worst kind of apostate!

• JeffT
    JeffT

When we left in 1988 our children were 13,12 and 3. Oldest has had some bumps in his life unrelated to JWism. He's doing better and will get back ins school soon. Daughter has had a reasonably successful career in teaching and musical theater. She's currently working on an MA in pyschology. Youngest son will graduate with a degree in Environmental science in June and get married in July (we love Monika, they are a perfect fit for each other). All in all I'm pretty happy with how they've done. Since they have a habit of not listening to me unless it suits them, and can't take credit except for teaching them to think for themselves.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Most "worldy" kids I knew growing up now live happy, healthy and somewhat successful lives.

All witless kids I know, who left, now live happy, healthy and somewhat successful lives.

Everyone I grew up with, who's still in, is REALLY screwed up, unhappy and broke ass mo-fos.

Hmm I see a pattern.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

My older one got BS paid by full scholarship and a year away from getting MA in pyschology with curreny GPA is 4.0 at age 21. Most of all, she is kind, curteous, hold good moral standing, mature and really good with money.

My younger one just finished her freshman year at the University and working part time job. She's also good with money, kind, pleasant young lady. she also occasionally volunteer at the local Soup Kitchen.

• jam
    jam

Four kids. The two boys left we me, the two girls

in with their mother. The youngest son, 6 years in

the coast guard (radar operator), he is out now enroll

in college. The oldest son, one year left for his Bachelor' degree.

The two girls (JW,s), The oldest went to school to become A nurse

and the youngest daughter became A claim adjuster.

I am happy that my two girls that are JW,s wont be cleaning

toilets soon.

• biometrics
    biometrics

One thing I am now ashamed of, was taking my three year old son to the back room to smack him for being disruptive during the meeting. Looking back I now know he had some type of hyperactivity disorder where he just couldn't sit still. This was most likely caused by certain foods he was then eating. Smacking children as young as 18 months was actively encouraged in the congregation I was in, and I was congratulated for "disciplining" my child.

Since leaving my relationship with my eldest son has really taken off. There's less stress, and I'm able to spend more time with him on weekends, teaching him things at his pace rather than fitting things around the Watchtower's onerous schedule. We go for walks in the bush and he talks, asks questions, and we generally always have a great time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit