marry on "in the lord" question

by lostinthought 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lostinthought
    lostinthought

I work for a guy that knows how I feel about the JW religion, another young women, who is also a JW works for him also. He likes to pick her brain regarding some JW beliefs and he will often come back and tell me what they discussed . She is really not the sharpest tool in the shed so he has given up trying to discuss things like evolution with her. She is only about 20 years old and is dating a brother and is seriously talking about marriage, so this is a topic she understands. She told him the JW belief of marry only in the lord, he went on to tell her that he believes the scripture to mean marry someone who is a good person. He came back and asked me what I think, so for the first time after my awakening I took good look at the text and I really don’t think it should be taken so seriously, but I kinda believe the text to mean maybe a person should marry a believer in god, but then again the text is talking about widows and how they should remain single, so does that mean that widows shouldn’t marry -- I really don’t think so – JW’s deliberately ignore the second part of that text…anyway so my question is what kind of “punishment” does one receive if they marry a person who is not a JW?

• sd-7
    sd-7

Such an individual would face the consequences of their unwise decision--the heartbreak of living in a religiously divided household, with one mate serving Jehovah God and the other ignoring Him. What a tragic outcome!

--sd-7

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

My first wife was a jdub, and she made my life holy hell. My 2nd wife is a baptist but doesn't go to church and my life has been nothing but marital bliss. The brothers can't do a damn thing about it if you marry someone outside the BORG, you will just have to endure the talks that come across the platform about marrying only in the Lord. It's not a disfellowshiping offence.

If you are a fader like me you don't need to worry about the talks because you won't hear them. You couldn't pay me to marry another jdub period.

Kojack

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well,they can give a "marking" talk about you,and advise others to limit their association with you. But,for most single people,especially older singles,life in the org is pretty lonely. So,they weren't likely inviting you out with them before you were married,so who needs them.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This shows the extent of JW/WT mind control, a JW reads Paul's advice and thinks it means only marry a similarly mind-controlled JDub.

If you are planning to stay a JW then it probably should be looked at that way, as SD7's parody above says, but as with all of the Bible, Paul's words were written for his time and place, the milieu being under the yoke of Pagan Rome, and Christians being a brand new and not very well liked cult.

To try to live ones life by a book that is at least 2000 years out of date is silly, in the 21st Century.

• Fernando
    Fernando

A person following a religious organisation is going in the opposite direction to someone following Jesus.

Did Jesus lead people to or away from the elders and Governing Body in his day?

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

If you don't, or no one finds out you did, commit a dirty sin (fornicate) before you tied the knot then there is NOTHING they can do; however you will have to endure a possible reproof, lots of finger waggling and countless pious stink-eyes.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

WT MAY 15, 2012, page 5

7 Dedicated servants of Jehovah
    disobey him if they marry someone
    who is not a baptized Witness of Jehovah.
    The Israelites who lived at the
    time of Ezra disobeyed God when
    they married foreign wives. The
    Scriptures are clear about whom a
    Christian should marry. It would be
    wrong to try to find an excuse not to
    obey God’s requirements. (Ezra 10:10;
    2 Corinthians 6:14, 15) So a baptized
    Christian who marries someone who
    is not baptized does not obey God’s
    requirements on marriage and can
    lose privileges in the congregation.
    It would not be reasonable to expect
    blessings and at the same time pray:
    “Jehovah, I chose to disobey you, but
    please bless me anyway.”

All they have to do is make sure that they don't have any privileges before they marry their non-believer and the 'punishment' is of no consequence at all.

• blondie
    blondie

While quoting Deut. 7:3,4 which has to do with marrying Canaanites not other non-jews, the WTS skips over:

(Deuteronomy 21:10-13) 10 “In case you go out to the battle against your enemies and Jehovah your God has given them into your hand and you have carried them away captive; 11 and you have seen among the captives a woman beautiful in form, and you have got attached to her and taken her for your wife, 12 you must then bring her into the midst of your house. She must now shave her head and attend to her nails, 13 and remove the mantle of her captivity from off her and dwell in your house and weep for her father and her mother a whole lunar month; and after that you should have relations with her, and you must take possession of her as your bride, and she must become your wife.

And remember, it was considered a good thing for Esther to marry a non-jew.

And nothing negative was said about Naomi's 2 sons marrying non-jews, Moabites.

(Deuteronomy 23:3, 4) 3 “No Am′mon·ite or Mo′ab·ite may come into the congregation of Jehovah. Even to the tenth generation none of theirs may come into the congregation of Jehovah to time indefinite, 4 for the reason that they did not come to YOUR aid with bread and water in the way when YOU were going out of Egypt, and because they hired against you Ba′laam the son of Be′or from Pe′thor of Mes·o·po·ta′mi·a to call down evil upon you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit