Questions for Thinkers, Part Deux

by SweetBabyCheezits 111 Replies latest social humour

• N.drew
    N.drew

Oh! I mean only in my imagination. Can I imagine your a stick in the mud if you imagine I am a babbler? You weren't talking about me? How imbarressing OMG. Sweets can fix that! Does it count if I KNOW it's mispelled?

• N.drew
    N.drew

I can't help it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have yoga. Gotta go!!!

• N.drew
    N.drew

So there's You and there's Christians. What the hell am I?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Yep...ask a straight question...get 3 pages of wibble...

• tec
    tec

Now I thought the op was cute... but since there are some who use such things to try and disprove God or paint him in a bad light, or just to trip christians up:

a)When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

Psalm 40:6 "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire; but my ears you have pierced; burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require."

Even better in this translation: easier to understand.

"You take no delight in sacrifice or offerings. Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand -- you don't require burnt offerings or sin offerings."

Also Hosea 6:6 - which is one Christ quoted.

"I desire mercy, not sacrifice."

b)I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

Though the NIV says servant over slave; in E x odus, it seems that woman has to become the wife of either the man who purchased her, or his son if he selected her as his son. If he does not provide her with food, clothing and her marital rights, then she gets to go free.

Different times and a different way of life then.

In any case, the golden rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you, takes care of this. If one were a Christian, and looking to and following Christ... one would not own slaves; as He did not own slaves.

c)I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

Christ had no problem with the woman who touched his cloak and healed herself through her faith in Him, regarding her bleeding. He had no problem with anyone 'unclean' for that matter.

d)Lev25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

See above as regards to the golden rule. Not only that, but Christ said that the greatest will be the least, and the least the greatest. He also said to follow Him... and that meant to serve others. Not enslave them.

e)I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

f)A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

"What goes into a man's mouth does not make him unclean; but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him unclean."

and

"Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye? First remove the plank from your own eye..."

g)Lev21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

The flesh counts for nothing. It is the spirit that counts.

... though seeing, they do not see; and though hearing, they do not hear...

(In other words, a physical defect means nothing... but the inability to see truth or light or love for whatever reason, that means something)

h)Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

First clean the inside of the cup, and the outside will also be clean.

and

Go, learn what this means: I desire mercy, not sacrifice.

i)I know from Lev11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

See all the many things above.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking
    but since there are some who use such things to try and disprove God or paint him in a bad light, or just to trip christians up:....tec

I don't need to paint God in bad light...the bible does that all by itself without my help.

to trip christians up? I wouldn't want to stumble anyone....LOL... it was a simple question that she refused to answer...why?

How difficult is it? You answer the question when asked by saying the whole bible is not inspired...N.drew remains silent. But likes to call people liars.

All you have proven with ALL of that tec is that the bible contradicts itself....and by the way...you still never clarify which bits are inspired and which aren't. You just offer vague answers...like I look to christ....none of that answers anything...it's just more wibble...you put whatever meaning you like to those versus...and pass them off as truth.

But what do you expect when the bible is wibble....here's a bit of wonderful biblical wibble for you to enjoy...

"And thou shalt take the other ram; and Aaron and his sons shall put their hands upon the head of the ram. Then shalt thou kill the ram and take of his blood and put it upon the tip of the right ear of Aaron, and upon the tip of the right ear of his sons, and upon the thumb of their right hand, and upon the great toe of their right foot. [Ex. xxix, 19, 20.]

Inspired.....or not?....what would Jesus's/tec's interpretation of that be I wonder. I wait with baited breath....

• tec
    tec

I gave a list of reasons why I was going to answer as I did; I didn't say that YOU were trying to trip anyone up. I was thinking of the question that you asked of course as part of my reason for answering; but I was not applying any motive to your question.

All you have proven with ALL of that tec is that the bible contradicts itself....and by the way...you still never clarify which bits are inspired and which aren't. You just offer vague answers...like I look to christ....none of that answers anything...it's just more wibble...you put whatever meaning you like to those versus...and pass them off as truth.

There is nothing 'wibble' about it. It is very clear. I cannot possibly go through the bible and state what is scripture and what is not. If Christ thought that should be done, then He would have done it or commisioned someone else to do it. But no, he said to look to Him to see His Father. He said to look to the Holy Spirit for guidance, and that the spirit will lead us into all truth. Not the bible, to which he said woe to the scribes about and admitted that some laws given were in allowance to the hard-heartedness of the people; not because it was the will of God. Not when he warned that people got lost searching the scriptures thinking that in them they would find life... instead of coming to Him, who IS Life.

So why look back to find truth? It is wrong to do so. It is certainly wrong for me to do so. I do not need to have every verse read and memorized so that I can say which is scripture and which is not, never mind scribal errors (innocent or not) and translation errors? I have never been asked by Him to do so, and everything in me screams that it is wrong to put the emphasis back on sight, and writings that have been passed down and mistranslated, etc... over putting faith in the spirit. It is moving backward, when we should be moving forward.

Looking at Christ is simple and straightforward, and truth. He is the image of God. God said to listen to His Son.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking
    It is very clear?
    he said to look to Him to see His Father
    He said to look to the Holy Spirit for guidance

Yes it is....he said all of this in the bible...which contradicts itself..which you say not to look at...which is where he said it...where you said not to look...where is where he said it...but don't look there....but thats where you will find where he said it..................

And those bad bad scribes....can't trust what they say..............EXCEPT if they are saying it about what CHrist said....then we can trust that....I know that because..................hmmmmmmmm...........the bible says so.

That truly deserves an honorary PHD on the wibble thread.

• tec
    tec

Actually, he did not say it in the bible. He said it... people witnessed it and wrote their testimony down. Those writings were simply placed in the bible. (Can't help it that men did that and then labelled it as one book.) But those gospels and witness accounts to Christ tell us about him. We can also get to know him in part from his words and his deeds, that others recorded for us. But we can KNOW him in full, from the Spirit.

And I said, if anything contradicts Christ, then look to Christ first and foremost to know the truth. Because HE is the image of God. Even if you solely looked at the bible, how can you draw any other conclusion? He cannot be called the Truth, and something that contradicts him also then be truth. So even if you are going purely upon the bible (which does not claim to be inerrant); then the conclusion is in the 'finale' and that is in Christ.

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

And those bad bad scribes....can't trust what they say..............EXCEPT if they are saying it about what CHrist said....then we can trust that....I know that because..................hmmmmmmmm...........the bible says so.

Nope.

I can reason that something is probably true when different witnesses state the same thing; and when all witnesses portray the same spirit in Christ. I can KNOW that something is true when He confirms it to me, in spirit.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit