Biblical precedence for opposing viewpoints within the Congregation

by Momma-Tossed-Me 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Often the WTBTS uses the gathering of “older men” in Jerusalem as support for the organizational structure used today. This essay will examine the validity of that claim by way of logic and reason.

Logically an argument could be formulated that this meeting was not a regularly scheduled or organized group that held weekly or monthly meetings to discuss things related to the early Christian Congregation but that is a thesis to be explored on another day.

Using the NWT Bible as a reference for this argument is the key, as this will speak volumes to the organization in question and those who claim membership therein. A close examination will prove that the discussion regarding circumcision was held in public and included persons who may or may not believe in the ransom of the Christ. Yet, they were in attendance which would indicate that the organizers of the event valued their opinion, otherwise an invitation would not have been extended. The scriptures will set the stage:

Acts 15:1,2 - And certain men came down from Ju·de´a and began to teach the brothers: “Unless YOU get circumcised according to the custom of Moses, YOU cannot be saved.” 2 But when there had occurred no little dissension and disputing by Paul and Bar´na·bas with them, they arranged for Paul and Bar´na·bas and some others of them to go up to the apostles and older men in Jerusalem regarding this dispute.

The attendance of Paul, Barnabas, and the apostles is no suprise, but the recorded role call includes “some others” and “older men” which is who this essay will seek to identify using the NWT. Notice who meets Paul and Barnabas upon their arrival:

Acts 15:4 - On arriving in Jerusalem they were kindly received by the congregation and the apostles and the older men, and they recounted the many things God had done by means of them.

The apostles, the congregation, and older men were already at the venue in anticipation of this meeting. Interestingly, a new group has been invited to attend this meeting namely, “The Congregation.” So this meeting was open to the public and apparently an open forum convened in an effort to get some resolution to this important issue regarding circumcision. Once again the older men are also mentioned, which is what the WTBTS would like the reader to focus on solely. In the very next verse a little known fact is brought into the sunshine of Biblical truth:

Acts 15:5 - Yet, some of those of the sect of the Pharisees that had believed rose up from their seats and said: “It is necessary to circumcise them and charge them to observe the law of Moses.

Perhaps the assumption could be made that Pharisees would not be at the first meeting of the “Governing Body”? Yet, the Bible tells us that they were seated at the venue and were given the floor to speak regarding their concerns about the fledgling congregation. The men could be converts, but the scripture reveals that these attendees were former believers, “…Pharisees that had believed…” So these persons were men who now denied the ransom of Christ and perhaps reverted back to the old Jewish Faith based on the argument they put forth. After taking this statement made by the Pharisees into account the deliberation began:

Acts 15:6,7 - And the apostles and the older men gathered together to see about this affair. 7 Now when much disputing had taken place, Peter rose and said to them:

Nowhere in the text does it indicate that there was a venue change at that time and this will be confirmed later in this essay. Notice the reference to the older men again who the WTBTS would like the reader to focus on, not the other attendees and participants. This discussion again was held within earshot of an audience which was comprised of the congregation, others and, as we have now learned, Pharisees in attendance. Peter makes a very powerful statement after the deliberation which is very relevant to Christianity but is not the subject of this article. After this notice what is recorded:

Acts 15:12 - Atthat the entire multitude became silent, and they began to listen to Bar´na·bas and Paul relate the many signs and portents that God did through them among the nations.

After hearing those powerful words from Peter all in attendance became silent, and a multitude would indicate a large audience not just a handful of older men and apostles as presented by the WTBTS. When considering the evidence surrounding this meeting your perception maybe changing. Consider this as well:

Acts 15:22 - Then the apostles and the older men together with the whole congregation favored sending chosen men from among them to Antioch along with Paul and Bar´na·bas, namely, Judas who was called Bar´sab·bas and Silas, leading men among the brothers; 23and by their hand they wrote:

Notice here that the Apostles, older men, and the congregation sent these men as well as wrote the letter. Obviously, the audience didn’t take turns writing parts of the letter but as with most groups the audience had to agree with the content and then approve the release. In verse 25 it states, within this letter, “… we have come to a unanimous accord …” speaking to the issue at hand, as well as expressing solid support in the decision to send the letter. So the older men are not the only ones who had the authority at this point in history, nor an anointed remnant, nor a governing body, but a large cross section of those groups as well as the people who choose to attend this meeting had a vote as well. Public interaction is what our system of government today is based on and an argument could be made that this originated from precedent set within the Bible.

Within this essay an examination of the scriptures was made with regard to the gathering of “older men” and others in Jerusalem to discuss the issue of circumcision. As in many other instances the WTBTS has chosen some element of this experience to focus on rather than the actual point for which it was recorded. The reader can probably come up with some other Biblical experiences where this has happened as well such as birthdays, blood transfusions, the flag salute, involvement in politics, philanthropic endeavors, and many more. Going beyond what is written seems to rule the day in an effort to prop up doctrine that is highly suspect when properly scrutinized using the logic and reason given to us by the very God that they claim to represent. Clearly, this proves that the secrecy and omission of the congregation within the decision making process by the WTBTS and Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses runs contrary to recorded Biblical precedent. The reader should thus ask, “Of what benefit to the “true congregation” is it to adopt a structure that truly runs contrary to the Holy blueprint recorded by God?”

• okage
    okage

I like this examination of the Watchtower's claims of the necessity of a governing body. I'm going to reread the source material and study up on it so as to use it as an arguing point in debate.

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

Excellent. Thank you very much for the research and time you put into this. I will be putting it to use.

• alanv
    alanv

Yes thank momma, really interesting. It just shows how all of us should read an account properly and all the way through, not just pick out odd verses as the gov body have done.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Good food for thought, thanks.

• vanyell
    vanyell

Nice essay.....Very good dissection...

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

You are welcome. It was very enjoyable to put together as a older friend of mine who is now out of the org and not internet savy brought this to my attention. All I did was put it to pen and paper.

• jam
    jam

Momma; Great Essay, I love it, The school of

Theology, and for free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit