Wactch Tower Society Corporation and Attorneys Vested Interest At Heart

by mind blown 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mind blown
    mind blown

We already know who's really running and has vested interest in the Watchtower Society of Jehovah's Witnesses, it all makes sense to me now. But orindary JW pulishers have absolutey no clue. It's no wonder the WTS sends JW's to law school and has thier own in house firm.

Control, Selling off property, New KH Remodeling Scemes, terms as Kingdom "Hall", The "Society", "New Order", Watchtower "Society" and who are these "Shareholder Corporation Members" in acticle twelve that the WTS Charter speak of. These Early Chirstian Pilgrams got hip to Capitolizm at it's finest.

http://www.witnessesuntome.com/1945_Charter_of_WTBTS.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo6Ry0Mu6pE

******************************************************************************

NOTE: Below I found this telling post on JWN by thinker, in which shows the real foundation of the WTS below. Also Brother Bohnet designed Russells Pyramid Monument.

Most powerful people have a number of underlings to do their "dirty work". This is the story of one of those underlings:

The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York, located at 25 Columbia Heights in Brooklyn, New York was incorporated in 1909 in the State of New York as a Private Company, by Charles Taze Russell and several of his followers. Previously they incorporated as the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society under the laws of Pennsylvania as a Nonprofit corporation under the date of December 15, 1884.

The United States Investment Co. Ltd. was incorporated June 24, 1896 in Pittsburg, PA.

From the records in Pittsburg:

"'Article 1. Names of Subscribers: John A. Bohnet, Ernest C. Henninges,Chas. T. Russell.

"'Amount Subscribed by Each: Bohnet $5.00; Henninges $5.00; Russell $990.00.

"'Article 3. For purpose of buying and selling real estate, patent rights, stocks, bonds, and other securites, merchandise, building homes, etc.

"'Article 4. Name of Association is U.S. Investment Co., Ltd.

"'Article 6. Officers--… C. T. Russell, Manager.'

As I see it, Russell wanted to start a corporation and needed two "straw men" to make up the required number of three for incorporation. One would assume he would choose two men that he could trust. Note the name John A. Bohnet and the date of 1896.

In 1905 a Watchtower booklet called "Features of the Plan of God" is written by J. A. Bohnet.

Bohnet's 1910 letter to the Russell in the Watchtower:

The Watch Tower
    , October 1, 1910, page 307
    MIRACLE WHEAT AND MIRACLE RYE

Two grains of this wheat were given to the Editor, who, in turn, handed them to a brother in the Truth, who reported that the two grains produced 1,312, which, planted, produced five pounds -- one grain having fifty stools of well-developed stalks or straws. The brother planted the miracle wheat alongside of some ordinary wheat, and reports that the miracle wheat heads are from three to five inches long and from three to five grains to the mesh, whereas with the common wheat the heads are from two to three inches in length.

Another brother obtained some of the miracle wheat and, out of the first crop, presented the Editor a peck of the same. This was entrusted to another brother, a farmer, who has just handed the Editor $100 proceeds therefrom, with the following report: --

As you remember, I secured also a peck of the miracle wheat from a brother in the Truth as a donation to yourself (because he first heard of the miracle wheat through THE WATCH TOWER).

Brother Kuesthardt advertised the wheat in his paper, and the money sent you is the result of the sales at $1 per pound.

Your brother in Christ,

J. A. BOHNET

In the year 1911 J.A. Bohnet, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Samuel J. Fleming, of Wabash, Indiana, each having a quantity of Miracle Wheat, together presented to the WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY the aggregate of about 30 bushels with the proposition on their part that the wheat should be sold at $1.00 per pound and all the proceeds arising from the sale thereof should be received by the WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY as a donation from them, to be used by said Society in its religious work.

1911:

Attacking Pastor Russell "for sailing under false pretenses," Rev. E. L. Benedict of the Mason M. E. Church today declared the evangelist had made a fortune by selling books and wheat, using his religion as a means to raise money.

We are informed that his man, Mr. Bohnet, sold $100,000 worth of miracle wheat at $1 a pound, and while Pastor Russell claims not to have sold the wheat, yet Mr. Bohnet has his office in Pastor Russell's church and Pastor Russell got the money for the publication of his tracts.

Russell's Reply:

"Miracle Wheat" is a new variety of wheat discovered and so named by a farmer at Fincastle, Va. I copied an item about it from a newspaper in my religious journal, which carries no advertisements. Three years later one of the readers wrote me that he had bought some of the miracle wheat at $1.25 per pound and found it very prolific--up to 3,000 grains from one seed. He sold some of it and donated to the society of which I am the president.

The following year he and another donated 18 bushels, fixed the price at $1 per pound and asked that it be mentioned in my journal and that we bear the trouble of mailing it. I merely gave their reports and a copy of a report by United States government expert. The wheat was sold and in all $1,800 was thus donated by these two friends to the work done last year amongst the heathen. No one ever complained of the wheat, and all were offered "money back" if not satisfied.

Notice how Mr. Bohnet is described as "one of the readers". By this time John Bohnet had been Russell's business partner for 15 years! Six years prior to 1911 Mr. Bohnet had written a booklet for the Watchtower, Features of the Plan of God. Yet Russell describes him as just another reader of Watchtower literature!

In 1911, the market price for wheat was 59 cents to $1 a bushel. In Charles Taze Russell's Hicks Street Tabernacle, "miracle wheat" was being sold for $60 a bushel, or $1 a pound.

The "miracle wheat" came into the hands of the Watch Tower Society when the president of the United Cemeteries Corporation of Pittsburgh gave J. A. Bohnet "permission" to plant the Stoner wheat on his land and expressed his willingness to donate the crop to the Watch Tower Society. Inasmuch as the United Cemeteries Corporation---of which Russell was a trustee-was later found to be a dummy corporation for Watch Tower assets.

The Watch Tower
    , June 15, 1911, page 178

A DONATION OF MIRACLE WHEAT

Brother Bohnet
    writes us that he has gradually accumulated a crop of miracle wheat from the few grains he obtained as a start. He prefers that the first opportunity for obtaining this wheat shall go to THE WATCH TOWER readers. He will sell it for $1 per pound, including postage, and give the entire proceeds to our Society. All orders for this wheat should be addressed, Miracle Wheat Bohnet, 17 Hicks street, Brooklyn, N. Y. This will keep mail on this subject separate from his personal mail and from ours.

Brother Bohnet
    promises to be ready to ship this wheat by August 1. He says miracle wheat should be sowed one-fourth as thick as common wheat. Ordinarily it should produce from ten to fifteen times as much proportionately to the amount sown. To save keeping account, money should accompany the order. WATCH TOWER readers will have the preference up to August 15, after which orders will be attended to indiscriminately, so long as the supply holds out. This wheat should be sown in the fall.

The Watch Tower
    , August 1, 1911, page 226

MIRACLE WHEAT IN DEMAND

The notice in THE WATCH TOWER of June 15 that Brother Bohnet has "miracle wheat" in abundance now, and that he will sell it at $1 per pound and donate the entire proceeds to our Tract Fund, has brought in many orders. These will be filled between August 15 and September 1. No limit as to supply has been noted. Sent by Express, prepaid, the price will be twenty-two pounds for $20; fifty-five pounds for $50; larger quantities at the latter rate. The merits of this wheat over the common variety have been mentioned in previous issues of THE WATCH TOWER.

Russell denied that the U.S. Investment Co. was a Russellite Co., that he was the President or manager of it, that he was stockholder in it, or that he had any interest in it whatever. He also claims that this U.S. Investment Co. had long ago become defunct. In the People's Pulpit, a Russellite paper, Vol. 3, No. 13, in the second column, near the top of page two, you will find the "Pastor" explaining to his readers about this company. He says, "I have not one dollar invested in it; nor have I been even nominally connected with it."

1912:

On September 23, 1912, the Eagle ran a cartoon called "Easy Money Puzzle."

Russell sued the Eagle for libel, demanding $100,000 in damages for "injury to his reputation, good name, fame and standing."

The case was brought before Justice Charles H. Kelby and a jury in the Kings County Supreme Court.

One of the juicier allegations made against the Watch Tower Society was that it had coerced an insane man, Hope Hay, into contributing $10,000 to its funds. William E. Van Amburgh, secretary-treasurer of' the Watch Tower Society, acknowledged that Mr. Hay was in an "insane asylum" and that the Watch Tower Society was footing his bills, but denied that Mr. Hay had not given his money of his own free will.

The jury of twelve men was out for less than forty-five minutes before it returned a verdict of not guilty in the Eagle's favor.

The evidence that weighed most heavily with the jury was that of Mr. Van Amburgh.

"But your annual report of the Watch Tower does not show that your society gets anything from its affiliated corporations?"

"No, sir. It is not a detailed report."

Persistent prodding by the Eagle's attorneys revealed the existence of two dummy corporations, the United States Investment Co., Ltd., and the United Cemeteries Corporation.

"And did you not take title to property as a dummy for the Watch Tower Society?"

"Yes, sir. I took title to a farm near Pittsburgh some years ago. The money was that of the Watch Tower Society. I deeded it to the United States Society, which, in turn, signed it over to the United Cemetaries Company."

"Why do you not do all your business in the name of the Watch Tower Society; that is why do you need the dummy corporations?"

"Some people seem to think that a religious corporation should do no so-called secular business whatever," said Van Amburgh, who had compounded his troubles by saying that the reason he held the title to substantial properties used by the Watch Tower Society was that the Investment Company did not deal in mortgages. "They do not see the propriety of it-No, let me change that answer-I mean that the United States Investment Company and the United Cemeteries were in existence before I ever came to Pittsburgh, and we have continued to use those companies for their convenience ever since."

1913: Russell refers to Bohnet as just a "friend of the Society":

The Watch Tower
    , February, 15, 1913, page 62

"AS DECEIVERS AND YET TRUE"

Some of our readers purchased seed from Mr. Stoner at $1.25 per pound and approved it. In 1910 one of the friends of our Society, who had raised some of this wheat, sold it for seed at $1.00 per pound, and donated the proceeds to our Society. In 1911 the same friend, having raised more seed, asked that THE WATCH TOWER give the benefit of this to its readers at $1.00 a pound post-paid, and appropriate the net results to the furtherance of its work. Another friend, who had some of the same seed, also donated similarly, the total amount being twenty bushels.

For the accommodation of our readers, we allowed this seed-wheat to be put up in pound packages and mailed from THE WATCH TOWER Office, just as the U.S. Government handles such seeds at Washington. We did the business at the request of others and in their interest, and credited them on our books with the results, setting aside to them proportionately voting shares in our Society. We made no claim for the wheat on our own knowledge. We merely gave the report of the Government expert, of the originator, and of our friends who had tried the wheat. We merely acted as intermediary.

Sincerely, and undismayed, I remain a servant of God.

CHARLES T. RUSSELL.

Brooklyn, January 29, 1913.

1915:

A GREAT BATTLE IN THE ECCLESIASTICAL HEAVENS

COPYRIGHTED, 1915 BY J. F. RUTHERFORD NEW YORK CITY

UNITED STATES INVESTMENT COMPANY

"Much ado has been made by his enemies about business corporations with which Pastor Russell is connected, particularly with reference to the UNITED STATES INVESTMENT COMPANY.

The fact is that this company was never a corporation in the strict sense of the word. It was a limited partnership organized under the Statutes of Pennsylvania. Its capital stock was $1,000. Pastor Russell furnished that $1,000 out of his personal means.

This company was organized for the purpose of taking title to certain property which it did take over and afterwards disposed of, and every dollar that was received therefrom went into the treasury of the WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY, and was used for its religious work.

Pastor Russell did not receive one cent profit therefrom, nor has any other person ever reaped any pecuniary profit therefrom.

This company has been out of existence for more than two years, and does not own anything today, even its capital stock being expended by the WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY in its religious work.

There is no corporation in existence anywhere in the world in which Pastor Russell owns a single share of stock, nor in which anyone else holds any stock for his use or benefit."

1917: "Knowing that the law required three members of the Board to be residents of the State of Pennsylvania, and that the appointment should be made in Pennsylvania , I went to Pittsburgh, and on the 12th day of July, 1917, there appointed Dr. W. E. Spill and Brother J. A. Bohnet, of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and Brother George H. Fisher, of Scranton, Pennsylvania; and Brother A. H. Macmillan, of New York, as members of the Board of Directors.

Each of the above named brethren signed a written acceptance of such appointment. We then had a full and complete Board of seven members, to-wit: Brothers Van Amburgh, Pierson, Spill, Bohnet, Macmillan, Fisher, and Rutherford. All of these brethren signed a statement consenting to a meeting of the Board of Directors, agreeing that meeting of the Board of Directors should be held July 17, 1917."

On 1917 July 17 Rutherford claimed that since the Society charter provided for the election of directors annually, only the three officers of the board (having been elected officers that January) were truly board members. He therefore appointed A.H. MacMillan, G.H. Fisher, J.A. Bohnet, and W.E. Spill to the board positions occupied by Ritchie, Wright, Hirsh, and Hoskins.

The annual election of Society officers and the first election of the Board of Directors came 1918 January 5, during the Pittsburgh convention January 2-6. R.H. Barber nominated for director: J.F. Rutherford, W.E. VanAmburgh, A.N. Pierson, A.H. MacMillan, W.E. Spill, J.A. Bohnet,...

*******************************************************************************

NOTE: I don't have proof but if my suspicions are correct I'm wondering if the WTS own these companies as dummy companies? From a past post on JWN:

From mind blown @00Dad on your second link, did you happen to see these noted on that post? What the heck is "Fine Times"???

Does anyone know about this "Fine Times" company?

Ben July 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

Brennen, and Porter,
    A company named Fine Times that owns a number of properties in Brooklyn Heights has a few Watchtower people who are partners or employees. Fine Times bought a number of derilict properties and made an attempt to clean them up and turn them around I hope that they were successful but who knows they bought high at the boom then the crash who knows how thing went? [I THINK Fine Times is a part of the Jehovah Witnesses.]

Ben July 21, 2010 at 10:55 pm #

Donald Brennan,
    For some more information about Fine Times find me at[email protected] I can give you some names and adresses all public records

AND:

From:mind blown @00Dad I just did a google seach for this "Fine Times Inc." here's what came up... http://www.manta.com/c/mm5wrlz/fine-times-inc (in case link doesn't work) http://www.manta.com/c/mm5wrlz/fine-times-inc

I also did a domain name search as well email search and who it's registered to. The info is pretty well shelded under this http://www.domaincrawler.com/12.3.51.210 however, notice on this page "Fine Times Inc." is also linked with this company armoniainvestments.com which is a major real estate firm. I wondering if the WTS owns Armonia Investments or just does real estate business with this company....?

Ha.....as you can see I have lots of time on my hands today! What's that saying? Idle hands .......lol

If anyone out there has time and can check this out? It could be nothing or a whole lot of something.....

• mind blown
    mind blown

PS: Sorry, when I was doing researh, one thing just lead to another. I had no intention of making this a conspiracy theories type thread though it seems that way. My intent was to show the corporate side of the WTS which is hidden from the rank and file. Though it seems the WTS initally wasn't an officail secret society, it sure seems to me they've sure turned into one now

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

All the dubies need to know is written for them in their official version of history called Jehovah's Witnesses proclaimers of God's kingdom...

oz

• reslight2
    reslight2

A few facts concerning Charles Taze Russell and "Miracle Wheat":

Charles Taze Russell did not, himself, sell any of the Miracle Wheat at all. Kenneth Stoner (who was NOT associated with Russell or the Bible Students), the discoverer of the wheat, had sold the wheat at $1.25 a pound. It was Mr. Stoner, not Russell, who named the wheat "Miracle Wheat".

In 1910 one of the Bible Students, who had raised some of this wheat, sold it for seed at $1.00 per pound (25 cents less per pound than Stoner had been selling it), and donated the proceeds to the Watch Tower Society. In 1911 the same Bible Student, having raised more seed, asked that THE WATCH TOWER give the benefit of this to its readers at $1.00 a pound post-paid (25 cents less than Stoner had been selling it), and appropriate the net results to the furtherance of its work. Another Bible student, who had some of the same seed, also donated similarly, the total amount being twenty bushels. Russell did not set the price for the wheat; Russell did not originate any claims for the wheat; Russell simply printed the government report as it had appeared in the newspapers, and printed reports from farmers who had used the wheat.

Everything that was said respecting the wheat was fully proven at in the court case of Russell vs. the Eagle by expert witnesses, interested and disinterested, and their testimony was not shaken. It was also shown that farmer Stoner and his business partner, Mr. Knight, made no sales of this wheat under $1.25 per pound until September, 1911; and that they had a written contract between them that none of the wheat was to be sold at any price until the following year — 1912. Suddenly in September, 1911, they changed their plans, considering that they had wheat enough accumulated, put the price down to $5.00 per bushel, about the time that the wheat was announced in the Watch Tower at a dollar a pound. This The Eagle’s attorney claimed was proof of fraud on the part of THE WATCH TOWER — sufficient excuse for the slanderous assaults of The Eagle upon Russell.

In order to win his suit against The Eagle, Russell needed to prove malice on the part of The Eagle. It was in vain that Russell's attorney sought to show the jury The Eagle’s malice — that it really was attacking Russell along religious grounds; that it had set itself as the champion of certain clerical enemies of Russell, and was seeking to destroy Russell's influence and, if possible, to drive Russell from Brooklyn. In the court-room sat about twenty-five who were ready to testify on behalf of Russell, who had come long distances at their own expense to have an opportunity to speak a word in Russell's behalf. Through some intricacies of the Law respecting evidence, these were unable to be heard in Russell's behalf. At any rate, Russell lost the case because of not being allowed to prove malice on the part of The Eagle.

Instead, the Court gave The Eagle’s attorney the privilege of saying all manner of evil against Russell falsely. He was allowed to picture Russell, as The Eagle had done in its cartoon — as a thief and robber, masquerading in the garb of a minister of Christ. He was allowed to ridicule the “Miracle Wheat,” although Russell had nothing whatever to do with it, nor with the naming of it; and notwithstanding the fact that its superiority was proven.

For a more detailed documented report regarding Russell and Miracle Wheat, see:

Charles Taze Russell and the Miracle Wheat Story – Part 1
    Charles Taze Russell and the Miracle Wheat Story – Part 2
    Charles Taze Russell and the Miracle Wheat Story – Part 3
    Charles Taze Russell and the Miracle Wheat Story – Part 4

Stoner's "Miracle Wheat" gradually faded away evidently because farmers failed to head Stoner's instructions for keeping the strain separate from other strains. Today, however, due to the work of Norman Borlaug, a new stable strain of "Miracle Wheat" exists.
    http://ctr.reslight.net/?p=629

Russell, however, was certainly not a member of any of man's "secret societies". The message he proclaimed would not be in harmony with such ideologies. The tens of thousands of pages of his works prove that he was not in support of any of man's "secret soceities", exceot that Russell did express that to belong to Christ is to belong to a secret society, since the world does not recognize Jesus nor do they recognize the followers of Jesus.

See:

Who May Know God's Secrets?

Whereby Ye Read- Understand

Nor did Russell believe that "the church" could be recognized by any "outward organization", such as the "Jehovah's Witnesses" organization. Russell did not believe in such an organization.

Russell stated:

I hold, and few, if any, will dispute it, that the one catholic or general Church of Christ is that mentioned in the Bible -- "the Church of the Firstborns, written in Heaven." If this be admitted, my next proposition is that the Lord in Heaven records as members of His true Church all the saintly - whether Roman Catholics, Anglican Catholics, Greek Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, or Presbyterians, etc. -- and none others.

Have we not here the one Church, catholic, universal, the only Church which the Bible recognizes? In the past we have been too narrow and have supposed that God was as narrow as ourselves. It was on this account that Presbyterians, Roman Catholics, Anglicans, Baptists, Methodists persecuted and were persecuted, each thinking itself the true Church. Are we not all getting broader conceptions of our God and of His Church? Do we not see that we were mistaken in calling the outward organization the Church of Christ instead of remembering that the Lord alone writes the names of the Church, that He alone reads the hearts, that He alone is the Judge, and that He alone has the right to blot out the names of reprobates?

St. Paul wrote against sectarianism, already manifest in his day-some saying :"I am of Paul"; others, "I am of Peter"; etc. The Apostle asks, "Is Christ divided:" ( 1 Corinthians 1:10-13 ) He explains that these sectarian names signified a spirit of division that failed to recognize the true Head of the Church, His true representatives and His true members. The entire foundation of divided Christianity would disappear and the true Church of Christ be speedily manifest, if true catholicity were acknowledged. -- Bible Students Monthly , Volume 7, Number 9 (1915), Under the title, "The Catholic Church -- St. Peter's Kingdom Keys."

Christian love,

Ronald

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Does anyone remember that the annual meeting of the WT Corporation of PA (I think) used to be announced in the WT mag every year? I remember that. I kinda think they used to meet in the month of Oct. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

• factfinder
    factfinder

yes! I do remember there being notices of the annual meeting of the WTB&TS in the w each year.

Thinking about how the w was in the 70's and comparing it to now the only thing they have in common is the name.

True-the color illustrations are nice, but it was a much more interesting magazine back then.

They were not hiding things like the new gb does.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I guess I always thought they needed a corp in order to do business and because they announced their meeting, did not see the sinister side of it. I have thought that they were nothing more than a printing corp using religion as a front for years. From what I am reading here, I sense that they are worse than I imagined.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Why even bother to promote Miracle Wheat in the Bible Students literature? What does wheat have to do with Jesus or a bizarre chronology.

Something tells me that a neutral reporter would report very different facts. One would expect a Russell supporter to proclaim Russell blameless. Also, one would expect an apostate to highlight Russell's venality.

It sounds like a scam to me. Imprudent, obviously.

Russell did not seem to have good boundaries between his personal investments, choices, and WT propaganda. I cringe more reading about Russell than about Rutherford. Some of it can be the very dated writing style and culture. Russell comes across as a demigod.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Great bg info on miracle wheat and Russell's involvement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit