Was Nicodemus considered to be 'anointed'?

by Lyssa 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lyssa
    Lyssa

I am a Bible Believing Christian. I have done hundreds of hours of research on Jehovah Witness beliefs in order to properly witness to them. My research is on going. I was reading John 3 the other day, and the thought came across to me... how do Jehovah Witnesses see Nicodemus? Do they see him as one of the 'anointed', the 'Born Again'? There's a point to this question, but I was wondering if anyone could answer that for me before I get to it?

• Ding
    Ding

Lyssa,

I've sent you a PM. You access PMs by clicking on the little envelope in the upper right corner of the screen. If you get an error message, go back and click on it again.

• jam
    jam

Lyssa; I can not recall if JW,s beleive Nicodemus was of

the anointed, but I have A question for you. Since we are

talking about Nico, was he making light of Jesus when he ask

those two silly questions? John 3;4. "How can A man be born

when he is old." He should have stop with the first question, but

no, "can he enter A second time into his mother womb and

be born"? Ok, was he serious or suffer from slowness of the mind.

Nico were one of the leading sects within Judaism. A man

who was respected by the other Jews and enjoyed social,

political, and religious power.

I beleive that,s why in John3:2 he came by night to see Jesus.

To be seen with, let alone going to see A new street Preacher

who was doing and saying some unorthodox things.

Yes he was making light of Jesus. True?

• Ding
    Ding

I don't think Nicodemus was mocking Jesus.

I think he was totally mystified by the comment that unless a person is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.

He didn't get that the new birth was a spiritual experience.

He was like a JW who takes "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God" to be a statement about literal flesh and literal blood rather than a metaphor for the natural, spiritually unchanged person...

• jam
    jam

It,s interesting that the Jews had no concept of

spiritual things. Nicodemus was well versed in the law.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

He thought Jesus was referring to reincarnation.

NOLAW

• Ding
    Ding

No need to get down on Nicodemus.

After 20 centuries of church history, the WTS still has no idea what Jesus was talking about...

• Lyssa
    Lyssa

I absolutey don't think Nicodemus was mocking Jesus. I think he was too thick to understand what Jesus was saying. He barely understood earthly things. Jesus said how could he understand heavenly things then? I think Nicodemus was trying to understand, and that's why he asked the question again. I actually rather like Nicodemus. He's a great story in the Bible.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

The funny part about the question of "can he enter A second time into his mother womb and be born" is that it is a play on words based in the Greek language only. The same play on words doesn't work in Aramaic, which is the language that Jesus spoke.

• Band on the Run

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit