Victorian State Government announces inquiry into sexual abuse among religious organisations

by sizemik 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sizemik
    sizemik

The Victorian Premier, Ted Baillieu and Attorney-General Robert Clark made the announcement at Parliament House at 1.15pm yesterday.

Some would prefer a Royal Inquiry (see article), but either way, things could get uncomfortable in WT world down the track.

An inquiry was one of the key recommendations of an earlier inquiry into child protection by retired judge Phillip Cummins.

This was the same inquiry Steven Unthank made submission to in person, which was fairly well received. The efforts many others have gone to in order to add weight will surely have also contributed. A number here have made a contribution in various ways and can feel gratified by this progress.

The full Herald Sun article is here.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for posting, and thanks to all who have worked hard to get this far. This could have a huge effect on the policies and practices of organizations and groups , like the W.T, who have been, and in the WT's case ,still are, very lax in this area.

The sooner solid, real, active measures and programmes are in place to protect the vulnerable the better, shame on those who have allowed to happen what has happened.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

And the WT will say..."we don't have priests or clergy, so you can't touch us".

we all know they put 'clergy status' on and off like a costume to suit the event...

Oz

• mind blown
    mind blown

Thanx for posting Sizemik...let's hope the ripple affect will hit other countries too!

Not too long ago Pastors Daniel and Laura McCluskey from the Church on the Word in Phoenix have been arrested. The pastors were both arrested Tuesday and booked on one count each of failure to report sexual abuse.

http://www.faithtrustinstitute.org/blog/marie-fortune/81

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m pretty sure we would all like to see a great outcome of this ,but from what I have seen so far it`s the Catholic Church that everyone in the media seems to be honing in on. True the R.C.Church is a far much bigger organization , going back centuries , and they seem to be the main targets of these inquests , what goes on in little sects, like the Mormons/ Salvation Army / Jehovah`s Witnesses / etc.... who cares!!!, their minority groups .The general public who read the media aren`t interested in minority religions , but hey, the Roman Catholic Church , that can get the people riled up ...,as politicians we can make a name for ourselves , and get media attention,and of course tackling the gig guys sell newspapers.

It`s all about" entertainment" good publicity ? bad publicity ? It doesn`t matter, newspapers pander to the masses.

It`s either my 15 minutes of fame or what sells newspapers.

smiddy

• sizemik
    sizemik

Interesting interview with Victorian Attorney General published today . . . regarding the Parliamentary inquiry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93TX11fM0Gc&feature=share%27%2C%29

• steve2
    steve2

Appreciate the update.

Related to this, I heard from someone inside that my NZ and Aussie JW relatives are not bothered by this investigation, looking upon it as an opportunity to show the orgnaization is squeaky clean. They are aware that "some opposers" have generated media interest but other than that it's business as usual. I have also heard that congregations are being told that the procurement of the relevant registrations is purely a matter of conscience. The Watchtower is neither preventing nor promoting registration (convenient I thought...)

• sizemik
    sizemik

" . . . inquiry . . . to look at broader systemic issues within religious and other non-governmental organisations"

It'll be interesting as to which rocks they look under.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit