Cult V Cult

by fadinfast 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fadinfast
    fadinfast

The"InvestigativeJudgment"-ABible-BasedDoctrine? Wt 97 7/15 p26

OCTOBER 22, 1844, was a day of great anticipation for some 50,000 people on the East Coast of the United States. Their spiritual leader, William Miller, had said that Jesus Christ would return on that very day....thereafter recalled that day as the "Great Disappointment." Yet, disappointment soon gave way to hope. A young woman named Ellen Harmon convinced a small band of Millerites that God had revealed in visions that their time calculation was right. She held that a momentous event had taken place on that day-Christ had then entered "the most holy place of the heavenly sanctuary." More than a decade later, Adventist preacher James White (who had married Ellen Harmon) coined a phrase to describe the nature of Christ's work since October 1844. In the ReviewandHerald of January 29, 1857, White said that Jesus had begun an "investigative judgment."

WhatIsIt?

The Adventists reason this way: Ancient Israel's priests performed a daily ministry in the temple compartment called the Holy, resulting in forgiveness of sins. On the Day of Atonement, the high priest performed an annual ministry in the Most Holy (the temple's innermost room) that resulted in the blotting out of sins. They conclude that Christ's priestly ministry in heaven consists of two phases. The first began with his ascension in the first century, ended in 1844, and resulted in the forgiveness of sins. The second, or "judgment phase," began on October 22, 1844, still continues, and will result in the blotting out of sins. How is this accomplished? . But the SDA publication AdventistReview admits: "The term investigative judgment is not found in the Bible.": Daniel chapter 8 is linked with Leviticus chapter 16. This premise is weakened by two main problems-language and context. First, consider language. Adventists believe that the 'cleansed sanctuary' in Daniel chapter 8 is the antitype of the 'cleansed sanctuary' of Leviticus chapter 16. This analogy seemed acceptable until translators learned that "cleansed" in the KingJamesVersion is a mistranslation of a form of the Hebrew verb tsa·dhaq′ (meaning "to be righteous") used at Daniel 8:14. Professor of theology Anthony A. Hoekema notes: "It is unfortunate that the word came to be translated becleansed, since the Hebrew verb usually rendered cleansed [ta·her′] is not used here at all." It is used in Leviticus chapter 16 where the KingJamesVersion renders forms of ta·her′ as "cleanse" and "be clean." (Leviticus 16:19, 30) Hence, Dr. Hoekema correctly concludes: "If Daniel meant to refer to the kind of cleansing which was done on the Day of Atonement, he would have used taheer [ta·her′] instead of tsadaq [tsa·dhaq′]." Yet, tsa·dhaq′ is not found in Leviticus, and ta·her′ is not found in Daniel. The linguistic link is missing.

Among Dr. Hoekemas best known works are: [from Wikipedia] where he "correctly concluded"

§ The Four Major Cults: Christian Science, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormonism, Seventh-Day Adventism (1963, ISBN 0-8028-0445-4)

§ What about Tongue-Speaking? (1966)

§ Holy Spirit Baptism (1972)

§ Amillennialism (1977)

§ The Bible and the Future (1979)

§ Created in God's Image (1986)

§ Saved by Grace (1989)

Check the dates they knew what they were referencing, but I believe as in most cases, they thought no one would check to much, or 'correctly conclude' that he was not concluding correctly. FF

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I just can't believe some dude living in the 1800's charted the course for me to be involved in a cult for the first 35 years of my life...

Then again, I probably would have never been born had it not been for that same dude living in the 1800's with his "end times" bull.

Gotta look at both sides of the coin.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It's funny how when I was "in" I knew JW's were on the cult list. Somehow that was persecution from Satan? Now I look at it as we were on that list because they are a cult

• barry
    barry

Hebrews chapter 9 has our Lord entering the most holy place at the ascention. Look at the context in hebrews 9 everthing there is in refference to the day of atonement. 1844 or a two phase ministry of our Lord is not included here. Barry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit