Genesis, Hebrews, the Trinity and three guys walk into a bar

by kepler 1 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kepler
    kepler

Question 41: Genesis, the Trinity and three guys walk into a bar…

Amid the 2012 Republican primary campaigns there is circulating the following story:

A liberal, a conservative and a moderate walk into a bar. The bar tender says "Hi, Mitt!"

Suddenly, I realized I had heard this story before.

In the 1954 case in Scotland of L. Strachan v. E. Walsh, on page 42 of the proceedings, Fred Franz testified as follows on initial examination by an attorney representing Edmond Walsh. L. Strachan represented the British government interest in the petition.

Q. (in examination) It is, of course, common to most, if not all forms of Christian belief that Christ promised a return to earth?

A. That is right.

Q. But I think you have gone farther, have you not, in one direction and have held that return took place in 1914?

A. Yes, it was an invisible return, because Jesus Christ is not the invisible God, and being His image, he is invisible to human eyes, the same as Jehovah God Himself, and no man can look upon Him and live. So his second coming must be invisible and when He comes into the kingdom, that is the invisible entry into this governmental function.

Q. I think this is set out, I think, isn’t it, in No. 15 of Process at page 201?

A. Yes, there is reference to it on that page.

Q. Now is that, so far as your studies indicated, a unique belief among Christian communities?

A. It certainly is.

Q. Do you regard the Trinity doctrine as one for which there is no scriptural authority?

A. No, there is not a bit of scriptural authority for the Trinity doctrine.

Q. As you interpret the Scripture?

A. That is right.

Q. And therefore, do you reject the doctrine of the Trinity?

Q. And therefore, do you reject the doctrine of the Trinity?.

A. Yes.

Q. I think you said in the course of your evidence that your regarded – I mean the association regarded the Holy Spirit as the invisible active force of God. Is that right?

A. Yes.

Q. The force which moves His servants to do His will?

A. That is right.

Q. Now would you look please at page 11 of No 15 of Process. Do you find your rejection of the doctrine of the Trinity there?

A. Yes. I find it on page 111.

Q. That is the conclusion of a chapter which itself is headed “Is there a Trinity?”

A. Yes.

Q. Is that also set out in No. 25 of Process at page 3, top of the page.

A. That is true.

Before proceeding myself, I note that testimony was confusing sometimes in the sense whether Mr. Franz was testifying on his own beliefs or those of the Society. But let us continue with:

In Gen 18:1-5, concerning Abraham

Yahweh appeared to him [Abraham] at the Oak of Mamre while he was sitting by the entrance of the tent during the hottest part of the day. He looked up, and there he saw three men standing near him. As soon as he saw them he ran from the entrance of the tent to greet them, and bowed to the ground. “My lord,” he said, “if I find favor with you, please do not pass your servant by, “Let me have a little water brought and you can wash your feet and have a rest under the tree. Let me fetch a little bread and you can refresh yourselves before going any further, now that you have come in your servant’s direction.” They replied, “Do as you say.”

… and they ate while he remained standing near them under the tree.

“Where is your wife Sarah? They asked him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

While there is plenty else to think about in this chapter of Genesis, just like perhaps all the others, I have to wonder if Fred Franz had considered these passages when he gave his testimony.

There is much to consider in Franz’s testimony as well. A few lines above this entry, the Vice President of the Watch Tower and Bible Tract Society discussed the origin of the name Jehovah's Witness, attributing it to the Hebrews epistle, though unsigned, often attributed to the Apostle Paul. Chapters 11 and 12 enumerate figures from Genesis through the Old Testament who acted in faith, culminating with Jesus Christ himself. But it also was stated in the Strachan vs. Walsh testimony that the line of Witnesses was unbroken from the time of Abel.

In subsequent cross examination by the crown’s attorney [page 94], Mr. Franz was asked:

Q. Do you distinguish between the body known as Jehovah’s Witnesses and the New York and Pennsylvania Incorporations?

A. Jehovah’s Witnesses are the world-wide body. They are international in their composition, whereas the New York Corporation is something which has been incorporated under the membership laws of that stat, and the Pennsylvania Corporation has been incorporated under [p95] the laws of that state.

Q. Then the whole tenets and principles and beliefs of those who subscribe to the views of the Jehovah’s Witnesses do in fact come from the incorporations?

A. Not from the incorporations. They come through the directorate of the Pennsylvania Corporation.

Q. So that without the directorate the body of Jehovah’s Witnesses would be left without spiritual guidance?

A. The primitive Christian Church had a governing body composed of the apostles.

Q. I know about the primitive church..

A. And so Jehovah’s Witnesses today have a governing body which is the Board of Directors of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

Q. Now what is the answer to my question? Without that directorate the body of Jehovah’s Witnesses would be left without spiritual guidance?

A. No, they would not.

Q. Where would the guidance come from?

A. The guidance would come from the governing body. The governing body does not exist because of the incorporation of the Pennsylvania Incorporation, any more than the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ on the day of Pentecost was by the Pennsylvania law.

Q. When did the movement, if I may call it, start? It was about 1870, was it?

A. Yes, that when Charles Russell began his bible studies with a group of fellow students of the Holy Scriptures. [96]

Q. Your fairly said that the purpose and principles of the Witnesses may change from time to time according to the change in light?

A. That is, those teachings which are based on fundamentals do not change, but the superstructure of faith must be over in harmony with the lines of those fundamental doctrines of the Bible.

Q. Tell me if I am right or wrong in this; that in the days of Pastor Russell, I think he was called.

A. Yes.

Q. The Fall of Satan or Christ’s Second Coming was dated for 1876, I think.

A. No. the Fall of Satan was not assigned that date.

Q. Was not something assigned to 1876?

A. No.

Q. You say no?

A. No.

Q. Pastor Russell was followed by Judge Rutherford?

A. As President of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society.

Q. Was there any other President between Judge Rutherford and the present Mr. Knorr.

A. No.

Q. So that is a comparatively new body, Jehovah’s Witnesses?

A. No. It is an old body. It begins with the first Witness of Jehovah on Biblical record, Abel, and continues to the present time.

Q. But there was no person or building to which a person could go prior to 1870 and say,”I wish to join a company or congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses”?

A. It is Jehovah God who makes one his Witness and that depends on the individual’s dedication of himself to Jehovah God through Jesus Christ. Then he becomes God’s [97] by dedication. Then he must serve as his witness.

Q. Is my question susceptible [?] to a simple yes or no? Prior to 1870 was there any person or building to which an individual could go and say, “I wish to join a company of Jehovah’s Witnesses”?

A. No; because the Temple of God is not an earthly building. It is a spiritual Temple, andGod does not deal in Temples made with hands. So it is foolish to speak about a physical building here upon this Earth to which an individual must go to become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Abel did not go to any.

Q. I appreciate your point of view on church buildings, but prior to 1870 was there an earthly organization in the sense that has existed since 1870?

A. No. All the Scripture show there would not be. The Scriptures show that God’s people would be temporarily in a state of captivity to the great mystic Babylon, and they would be deprived of their privileges.

--------------------

When I reviewed Hebrews 11 and 12, I went to examine the notion of Abel as a witness and the term's subsequent use with other principal figures of the Old Testament. As is quite often the case when I perform these exercises, however, I usually find something different than what I was looking for.

In the Word-Study Greek-English NT by MacReynolds and all, Heb 11:13-16 is translated as follows:

All of these died ub faith without having received the promises, but from a distance they saw and greeted them. They confessed that they were strangers and foreigners on the earth [14] for people who speak in this way make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. [15] If they had been thinking of the land that they had left behind, they would have had opportunity to return. [16] But as it is, they desire a better country, that is a heavenly one. Therefore, God is not ashamed to be called their God; indeed he has prepared a city for them.

The corresponding beginning of [16] in the NWT: “But now they are reaching out for a better [place], that is one belonging to heaven.

‘epouraniou in the English subtext to the Greek was “on heavenly”. Strong number 2032 gives all six uses in Hebrews as “heavenly”. A couple of “in heaven”, “of heaven” in other books or epistles. No “belong to heaven” there or elsewhere.

The NWT at 3:1 uses “of heavenly”; at 6:4 “the heavenly”, at 8:5 “the heavenly” things; 9:23 “heavenly”; 12:22, “heavenly” Jerusalem.

The anonymous translators of the NWT NT must have stumbled on something that they didn’t like.

• kepler
    kepler

An "epilogue".

Judging from "No comment", I suspect that I fumbled the ball.

Internal reaction might have been, "Just what are you implying!?", or simply, "What was THAT all about?"

Admittedly, for one topic I ended up touching on several things, resorting to a transcript of a 1954 trial in Scotland to build the case. I don't know how widely known this case is in the community of readers. Also, in quoting from the transcript, I thought it best if I did not lift quotes out too tightly. In so many instances people are accused of taking quotes out of context and twisting them beyond anything resembling intent.

So, here are some further remarks.

1. The 810-page transcript title is "Court of Sessions, Scotland, Lord Strachan, Proof L.C., Douglas Walsh, Tuesday 23rd November, 1954". I mistakenly carried Walsh above as "Edmund". In petitioning for a sweeping interpretation of the United Kingdom's exemption form service laws for members of the ministry, VP Frederick Franz plus JW officers Suiter, Covington and Hughes travelled to Scotland and testified in court in behalf of a local publisher and minister [Walsh] in a Scotland congregation in a class action case. When the four or five court witnesses were examined by their representing attorney, they were given softball questions that provided the basis for their petition under the circumstances of United Kingdom law (distinct from legal precedents established in the US or elsewhere). These provided, for example, definitions of practices and belief which I judged as more straightforward than what I was presented when an Elder and his assistants came to my house with "What the Bible Really Teaches" as a governing study text. But when these officers were cross-examined by an attorney representing the "crown", if that term would be appropriate, the questions had more of an edge.

Among the legal officers present were James Lathan Clyde, MP, representing the Ministry of Labor and National Service; Mr. Leslie and Kissen as counsels for the defense [Walsh] and John Cameron with two assistants for Strachan.

As a document made of re-scanned court transcripts, this PDF located somewhere in etherspace is a 99 megabyte file. It is well worth reviewing. In fact, what it probably needs is re-scanning or re-typing into a more convenient, smaller file form. For while many of the critiques of Jehovah Witness believes or Biblical interpretation are caught in the Catch-22 created in their origin in dissent literature, quoting from or examining the public utterances of these four or five witnesses cannot be dismissed in the same way.

2. Obviously, I started this thread with somewhat oblique references to the doctrine of the Trinity. From my own point of view of not having ever been a JW, I cannot imagine what goes on in one's mind when the subject is even discussed. To tell the truth, for me, living 17th centuries after the formulation of the Nicene creed, it is an idea that does not come naturally to me either. Yet I would not burn metaphorically burn at the stake anyone who argued this proposition either way. From the standpoint of Scriptures there is at least recorded evidence for something beyond unity in the very first chapter of Genesis ( "let us") and the whole of that non-synoptic Gospel of John. It was only of late that peculiarities of chapter 18 in Genesis came to my attention: While chunking TV channels, I caught a couple of scenes from a several decade old Dino De Laurentis film, titled "the Bible", which was really only focusing on incidents in Genesis. Cryptic in portrayal, but there it was.

3. Frederick Franz made a number of interesting assertions as a witness in court; just in the segments excerpted above, and many more elsewhere.

A. I would have felt better about his Trinity assertion if, based on his claim of decades of work as a biblical and comparative religion researcher, he would have mentioned the curious instances of scriptural evidence of a Trinity or something more than One - but he didn't. He said there was NO evidence. Not a trace. I know this incident in Genesis chapter 18 is not abundantly clear, but then ten chapters prior we have an incident with a serpent in a tree and everyone just knows that was Satan because....?

B. Secondly, he said that Christ had returned to Earth in an invisible form because he was now the mirror image of Jehovah and therefore his visual presence on Earth could not be viewed by mortals. I don't recall in Dispensationalist literature prior to 1914 how this matter was addressed or resolved, but look again at the evidence in Genesis 18. Abraham spots the Lord headed for his tent. He was a frequent visitor, so we are told.

C. I suppose it was Mr. Cameron who inquired of Franz whether there was any place that between the time of Abel and the 1870s whether there was anywhere where an interested individual could sign up to be a Jehovah's Witness. Franz did get a little testy about this and then said something I thought was pretty remarkable, considering all these sequences of dates, desecrations and desolations:

God does not deal in Temples made with hands...

Q. I appreciate your point of view on church buildings, but prior to 1870 was there an earthly organization in the sense that has existed since 1870?

A. No. All the Scripture show there would not be. The Scriptures show that God’s people would be temporarily in a state of captivity to the great mystic Babylon, and they would be deprived of their privileges.

Yes, for a tidy period of 2520 years, we are given to understand, of a historical plan that was not to exceed 6000. If Franz was the guy who was 2nd seat on the flight deck, I was glad that I was not on board his craft.

D. So in examining Hebrews and the notion of witnessing, testifying and acting in faith: it was my conclusion that the NWT text was deliberately revised in translation at 11:16 so as NOT to reflect a final heavenly destination for the faithful. The witnesses enumerated would be RULED by heaven, but they would be on the ground, on Earth.

And the man who was testifying in Scotland probably made sure of that final editorial correction himself. Assuming that Hebrews was written before Revelations, and Revelations had a city along with 144,000 of the anointed, there had to be no confusion about who was going to heaven and who was going to remain ...

on a paradise earth.

Paradise is a word of Persian origin by the way.

paradise

late 12c., "Garden of Eden," from O.Fr. paradis, from L.L. paradisus, from Gk. paradeisos "park, paradise, Garden of Eden," from an Iranian source, cf. Avestan pairidaeza "enclosure, park" (Mod.Pers. and Arabic firdaus "garden, paradise"), compound of pairi- "around" + diz "to make, form (a wall)." The first element is cognate with Gk. peri- "around, about" (see peri-), the second is from PIE base *dheigh- "to form, build" (see dough). The Gk. word, originally used for an orchard or hunting park in Persia, was used in Septuagint to mean "Garden of Eden," and in New Testament translations of Luke xxiii.43 to mean "heaven" (a sense attested in Eng. from c.1200). Meaning "place like or compared to Paradise" is from c.1300.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit