'The Land of Decoration' by Grace McLeen

by freshcrepes 2 Replies latest jw friends

• freshcrepes
    freshcrepes

I did a search for this author and book on this forum but couldn't find anything, so apologies if this has already been posted. I'm surprised it hasn't got more attention here.

This book was published last month in England - I heard about it on the radio where it said that the author is an ex-Jehovah's Witness.

I haven't been able to confirm this anywhere else except to say that the author grew up in a fundamentalist religion.

On reading the book, while not explicitly stated, it's quite clear that the main character is a Witness.

I highly recommend it - it's a novel about a child who creates a world in her room made out of various objects. She starts to believe that things that happen in the fake world have effects in the real world.

Familliar Witness doctines & practices are tightly tied in with the story, it's not just incidental that the child is a witness.

I think many of you would love the book - it's beautifully written. I identified with the main character a great deal and found reading the book to be quite cathartic. I don't think I've ever identified so personally with a character. Since witnesses are not mentioned directly it doesn't feel like an 'expose' or a memoir of an upbringing in the religion. It gave me the sense of seeing the phrases and doctrines from an outsider's perspective, which makes them seem very, very weird. Early on the child is talking about how happy 'the brothers' were after they built their 'kingdom hall' and it just sounds bizarre, like something from Dan Brown!

• Will Power
    Will Power

I just finished the book, and I agree it is beautifully written.

It is called fiction, but the way the author narrates through the perspective of a young girl (10) it brings to light the struggle of wishing the big A would come to fix all that is wrong with her world.

If you liked "The Room" or if you grew up wishing the world would "hurry up and end"....you'll probably like this book.

wp

• Ice cream
    Ice cream

I know 'Grace' ( not her real name ). My brother who is the same age as her and went through school with her brought the book round for me to see the other day. I used to pioneer with her father. From what i can gather from scanning through the book it is partly based on her upbringing and part fiction. We had the tuesday group in her house when she was about the age that she is in her book. Some of the people at the KH are real, the guy with the stutter is, the old lady in the wheelchair aswell, she just changed their names slightly. She's done great, good for her!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit