Crazy Captcha

by scotoma 9 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

I don't know where to post this but I had to go through about 50 Captchas before I could get one right.

Can it be set for degree of difficulty?

I even had one with hebrew characters.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I hate captcha's

• Emma
    Emma

I'm ignorant. I have no idea what this is. Is it bad for me to admit this?

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

A captcha is a test to prevent automated bots from posting on forums or joining various websites. They typically have a garbled word that a human can make out but computer algorithms have difficulty recognizing.

Whenever you see a box with "enter the letters above", and the letters are some crazy characters in random fonts and colors with lines through them, etc... it's a captcha.

Unfortunately, it's a sort of 'cat and mouse' game - spammers are anxious to break the captchas, and are getting better at it... so the puzzles have to get harder and harder over time...

- Lime

• Emma
    Emma

I learned something new; thanks so much, Lime.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Did you know that there are actually services employing third-world people to break these for spamming purposes?

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

There have been some that I have found impossible to figure out. Now, some websites even have time limits for getting them right. I have seen some set at 10-15 seconds before you have to completely start over again.

Here is a website of some funny Captchas.

Here

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

You can actually cheat with Captcha.

There are always two phrases, but only one needs to be typed correctly - the other one (usually the one with foreign characters/upside down letters etc) you dont even have to try and spell.

That at least works for me, and makes it easier.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

There are always two phrases, but only one needs to be typed correctly

You sure about that one? There's usually one word I can see clearly but the other word I can't, then I get an incorrect and another Captcha.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    There are always two phrases, but only one needs to be typed correctly
    You sure about that one? There's usually one word I can see clearly but the other word I can't, then I get an incorrect and another Captcha.

This is only true of reCaptcha - one of many captcha systems. I believe reCaptcha is changing this, however - as spammers are now acheiving something like a 70% success rate when algorithmically attacking reCaptcha.

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit