Watch Tower Society v. Jehovah’s Witnesses

by sizemik 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sizemik
    sizemik

An interesting follow-up article by Steven Unthank . . .

http://jwnewsnetwork.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/wts-v-jw/

• cedars
    cedars

An interesting if rather lengthy article in which Unthank dismantles the Society's legal "ejector seat" strategy (used during the working with children scandal) of claiming that JWs engage in their own personal ministry and are therefore individually liable, rather than acknowleding the reality, namely that all JWs represent a centralized organization from which they receive guidance and oversight in their work as volunteers.

One sentence leapt out at me, and resonated due to my own recent efforts:

The taxation and business status of the Watchtower Bible and Tract of Australia will be reviewed on July 29, 2012, by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission.

If this really happens, and it seems to have the support of an unnamed Australian senator, then it may result in MORE damage being inflicted against the Society than if Unthank's WWC cases had been successful. Rather than puncturing the Society's pride, this may actually hit them where it hurts the most - in the pocket.

The Society made a series of baffling statements during the recent scandal regarding the way the organization operates. For example, if (as Unthank points out) JWs are engaged in their own personal ministry, then what right does the Watch Tower Society have to pocket the public donations received?

It will be very interesting to see what happens at the end of July. I get the feeling that there is little mood amongst governments to question or scrutinize the tax-exempt status of the Watch Tower Society, but who knows how quickly that mood could change - especially in times of economic uncertainty? Why should an organization that promotes servitude to a cult be hailed as working in the "public benefit", and pocket millions each year in tax exemption and other benefits despite its damaging teachings and practices?

I really hope the mood is changing, and if Unthanks efforts can succeed in this area, it would be a major victory.

Cedars

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it takes the 1st one to be caught filing fraudulent returns to the govt. Then everyone is suspect

• mP
    mP

I always found it strange the church as a completely different name from the religion. The two names dont sound united to me.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i had an interesting conversation with my JW dad the other day--about the charitable status--even he said it is WRONG in the UK that charities can claim back the tax paid by individual donors. he said his donations to the WTS should remain net--and not have the tax clawed back by the society.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

sizemik,

Thanks for notification of this blog article.

My gut tells me Australian authorities will not take it very well to see Watchtower has asserted both sides of the volunteer question (i.e., we don’t have volunteers under the law, but we do tell our followers they are volunteers).

This whole thing will be very interesting to see how it unfolds. Unthank is doing some impressive work.

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• okage
  • okage
  • ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Thanks Sizemilk for posting this thread. Will you be updating this thread after July 29, 2012?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit