A reason why most religious theological teachings are sociologically dangerous and damaging

by thetrueone 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious
    This is not a problem of extremism its also a problem for the nice little old lady who goes to her nice little conservative church on a Sundy and prays that her nice neighbour might get saved.

That particular instance is pretty benign. Now if the granny tells her grandchildren that their daddy is going to burn in hell for leaving their mommy that poses some unique problems. You need to attack the delusions that are harming people, not the right to have delusions. Pick a fight you have a chance at winning. If you treat religion like it's a hive collective and search to destroy it's heart you will die trying. It will just be a bunch of broken hearts because it's too much to ask from some people to not believe or to feel second class because they don't have empirical evidence of their deity.

In the first century the Roman empire crucified thousands of people for rebellion around 70 AD. Why do you think they felt justified in treating these people this way? Rome was a learned state and they skyrocketed in awareness of their environment. Only because they provided a perfect way of life for a select population caused by hoarding war technology. To the Roman citizen there appeared to be two classes, learned and unlearned. Unlearned people did not get to stand up for what they believed in because they were operating on false assumptions. Examples were made out of them.

Religion is poison.

The Roman's were poison.

-Sab

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

fundamentally fallacious because such a deity would reside outside of our universe and therefore is not provable.

Ummm ... yesterday Sab. you stated that you supported Yahweh and Jesus as your held to deities but here you just postulated that

the biblical texts of these deities are fallacious and not provable. ????

Weird yesterday you were quoting texts right out the bible, which today your holding the position that those men and their words were nothing

but expressions of imaginative fiction.

• cofty
    cofty

That particular instance is pretty benign - Sab

The nice benign christians and muslims make it possible for the extremists to prosper.

Nice little old christians believe that their god prefers christians to atheists. This is corrosive to human relationships.

Nobody thinks there is an almighty who prefers people to knit to those that don't or who even privately imagine that knitting god will eternally torment non-knitters after death.

If religion was as important as knitting I would have no problem with it.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Did you post this on the wrong thread Sab or are you just having anti-athiest rants all over the board?

The video in the original post in the very beginning has a man asking a question, "If there is no God..." and the rest of the video is the answer Hitchens gives and then is applauded. The man who asked the question is obviously abstaining from applauding. I was underwhelmed with his response as I suspect he was.

Christopher Hitchens is saying that there is no captain to life and there never was. Therefore he gets to put on the captain hat and save the world. Is that off topic? By the way why do you always get to decide what's on topic and what's not? Do you have some sort of laminated badge or something?

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

Read the thrread title and then read the post in question Sab.

What's all this "captain" stuff?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The problem is NOT religion but human character. For example, I doubt the Nazis were all Christian believers. Serial murderers may be atheist. Warmongers may be atheist. Look at Stalin and Mao for examples. I can't think of a positive or negative trait that exists only among believers or atheists.

Today is Easter. I rejoice in the Risen Christ. Call me an ignorant slob. I don't think so.

Hitchens and Mahr are one note stories. Just as Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell (the Pope, too) are one note people. I wonder where the venom comes from. They have every right to not believe for themselves and to address their disbelief in the public forum. There is an animus present that detracts from their arguments. Why must everyone not belief? Or is it a shtik that keeps them employed?

What happened to tolerance and respect for other views. Mahr has good points. I laugh. Next, he is in bitter, crazy heaven. I am repulsed.

I am well educated. Graduated from the top schools in the United States. Yet I believe. Intelligence has nothing to do with it. Temperament may have a lot more to do with it. HItchens can be profound but so can the Pope.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

COFTY: Any belief system that divides humanity into god's buddies and god's enemies is corrosive to human relationships.

Well said!

It would be bad enough if it were true, it's tragic beyond words that it is not.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Ummm ... yesterday Sab. you stated that you supported Yahweh and Jesus as your held to deities but here you just postulated that

I support what the Roman Catholic church put together which was not theirs to put together, but the whole world's. Of course being the ROMAN Catholic church they made sure they had their caesar and minions all the while knowing that their own prophesied Messiah would come and topple it all down. Their whole religion is a mind f*ck. However, the book they put together is a marvalous work that contains ancient self evident unalienable truths. To find these truths the document must be studied rigorously and cross referenced with other systems of religion before and after it. The Bible is an attempt to "end the book" on humanity so to speak. Likely the purpose to life has been on the minds of a lot of people througout history creating a supply and demand. That's why enties like the Watchtower exist, they are gleaning off the Catholic Church's religious discovery: people need God. Which is compelling evidence to his existence.

Weird yesterday you were quoting texts right out the bible, which today your holding the position that those men and their words were nothing

I know my way around the Bible and it aids my points. All professed deities and religions are real until disproven in my book. The exact opposite of atheism. I have noticed that I make more friends this way too.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Read the thrread title and then read the post in question Sab.

I am choosing to focus on Hitchen's words. Stop ordering me around.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

BOTR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit