A reason why most religious theological teachings are sociologically dangerous and damaging

by thetrueone 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...Christ. What he said, taught, and did. All of those things are equally important and bring context into understanding Him and His teachings. Deeds especially. ..." tec, above

The ONLY information that has come down to us about what "Christ" did, came from other people...

"Christ" never wrote a thing.

We only have the words of imperfect men as to what "he" said and did - exactly the same as with the old testament - which "Christ" allegedly quoted from to support "his" ministry - again, according to OTHER men.

Reject the old testament, which laid the prophetic foundation for "Christ's" birth, ministry and death, and you're rejecting "Christ's" "divine" origins and birthrights...

Being an atheist doesn't mean I'm ignorant of the Christian belief systems.

• tec
    tec

Yet Jesus read from those old scrolls as part of his ministry,

Yes, he did. That could mean different things. He could have been reasoning with them from what they understood at the time, so as to accomplish his ministry in the few years he understood that he had. He does not necessarily have to have taken all he read from literally. He might even simply have read from the things that he considered true or containing a true moral lesson... (literal or not)... without validating every single thing that makes up the OT as we have it today. So with these and other reasons in mind, it seems far easier to me to simply listen to the things that He taught... through His words and deeds. All he really needed to do was to convince people to look at Him for Truth.

and Paul had some hateful things to say about women

Yes, and some scholars have interesting things to say about some of those 'hateful things' attributed to Paul. How they seem out of place and were perhaps added later. I'm not a scholar, so I cannot state it so one way or the other. But there are also the purpose and situation surrounding what teachings he did give in regard to the status of women. (such as him not allowing a woman to speak in church or have authority over a man... note that he says in this case that it is he who does not allow it; not that God or Christ do not allow it. He is very specific, which is kind of odd for Paul... at least the older Paul. The younger Paul, still new to his knowledge of Christ, might have had some learning to do) Perhaps he was doing his best to address a specific problem or protect people from a specific problem, and we are only hearing one side of the telephone conversation in his letters, and don't know the whole story. So again, with all of these possibilities, it is still Christ to whom I should listen first and foremost.

And I never called you a liar, but I think you know that.

I wasn't referring specifically to you.

The mind games though---sometimes I get very lost talking to you. Perhaps it is not intentional, but I've said before, it is sometimes like trying to grasp water. Things get very fluid when we have a conversation, and I walk away having NO IDEA where you are coming from or how you got there.

Well, I am trying to make my understanding and view more clear. I am not playing mind games with anyone.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Being an atheist doesn't mean I'm ignorant of the Christian belief systems

There are many different "christian belief systems", Zid. Many do not accept an infallable, inerrant bible. Some do. Some are fundamentalists; some are liberal or moderate. How can you tell me that I have chosen the wrong one, or that following Christ first and foremost is the wrong way to be a christian?

Peace,

tammy

• ziddina
    ziddina

Didn't read - or at least, consider - the rest of my post, did you?

Selective blindness strikes again.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    1....In other words, anyone who believes in something that you consider to be a delusion... can rightfully be compared to your mother? So why the focus on me?...tec
    2....This is all opinion in relation to me, and since you are emotionally involved (in saying that something about me reminds you of your mother),
    then you might consider that your opinion on me is a bit biased as well as unjustified. Just something to think about....tec

One more time for impact tec? tut tut...mind games...and sneaky ones at that.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hah hah hah hah hah!!!

Good one, Still Thinking!!

Yeah, I noticed her manipulative behavior a LOOOONG way back...

But you pinned it down nicely.

• tec
    tec

It wasn't a mind game. It wasn't completely free of being a jab though either, and perhaps unwarranted... though I am honestly at a loss to understand why Zid has made so many jabs at me. But if you think that likening me to a "beeyotch who has surprisingly not choked on all of her lies"... is not some kind of jab or manipulation technique if that is how you describe it, then perhaps you are showing a bit of bias yourself. I did not bring her mother into this, though... though I should have refrained from the jab, and I apologize to Ziddina for it. Not that I will get a single apology for any of the false accusations, or insults, or jabs that have come at me unwarranted. But still, I apologize for it.

Didn't read - or at least, consider - the rest of my post, did you?

Why would you think so? Because I didn't respond to your post line for line. You don't do that for my posts... does that mean you are also guilty of selective blindness?

I already responded to the points you brought up in my response to NC.

Peace, and I do apologize for making any comment about your possible bias in connection with your mother.

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking
    But if you think that likening me to a "beeyotch who has surprisingly not choked on all of her lies"... is not some kind of then perhaps you are showing a bit of bias yourself.

feel free to discuss all the comments zid made...i'm sure there are a few over the top ones. But the issue I pointed out was your denial of mind games. And there they are..well at least a couple of examples. I have seen plenty of this type of comment from you. But it tends to not get noticed by the people it is not aimed at. When you hit...you really hit below the belt....so maybe I am biased...because I don't like these types of comments as much as I don't like the mental illness ones. OK.

• tec
    tec

Still, 1... was valid. I can not understand how I was like her mother, and the reference was vague... just an insult. I should not have said the second one, though, whether I thought it or not. My apology is sincere. I don't think I have ever made a comment like that on this forum. I worry too much about hurting people.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

No worries tec...none of us are pure at heart...me included.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit