Awkward Silences

by TOTH 13 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Blondie,

I, for one, am glad you have a voice here. I have learned a lot from your Sunday WT TM over-views!

xo

tal

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

My dad always used profanity, even when he became a witness (he used to be a sailor). He never cursed in front of other witnesses, but he did at home all the time. Especially when he was talking about brother so and so he didn't like. One time when I was about 6 years old there was this brother my dad didn't like named brother Colhorn. My dad's pet name for this brother was "brother Cornhole". LOL. Anyway, one saturday we ended up in the same car group as brother Colhorn. Well, I got mixed up when it was time for me to say a greeting to this guy. I said "Good morning brother Cornhole!"...I'm pretty sure everyone in the car group knew what the word 'cornhole' meant. My dad's face turned red and he quickly corrected me saying "It's brother Colhorn Chris"...After that there was an awkward silence. Nobody said anything else until they had to decide who was going to the next door. I think they all just chalked it up to me just mixing his name up by accident. I wonder what ever became of ole' brother Cornhole anyway?

Chris-

• TOTH
    TOTH

LMAO! My dad used to say cornhole too! He used to cuss a lot at home too. It's somethng that I do often as well.

My wife's dad was never big on cussing but in their family the word joder/jodido is used as a word to describe annoying behavior or an annoying person. In MOST Spanish speaking countries it is the height of offensive and insulting language. Joder means to Eff someone or a jodido is an effer. So one of my wife's aunties was sitting at lunch with her kids during a dc. One of them was being bratty so she called him a jodido and the group of fellow lunchers fell silent. She looked around and asked, "Is that a curse word?" LOL

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

If you want to see awkwardness and silence in action just attend a co-ed witless gathering.

It makes an uncomfortable middle school dance look like a rockin' time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit