Existentialism

by frankiespeakin 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism

Existentialism

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search "Existential" redirects here. For logical sense of the term, see Existential quantification.

The philosophersSøren Kierkegaard and Friedrich Nietzsche foreshadowed existentialism.

Existentialism is the philosophy that holds that philosophical thinking begins with the human subject—not merely the thinking subject, but the acting, feeling, living human individual. [ 1 ] In existentialism, the individual's starting point is characterized by what has been called "the existential attitude", or a sense of disorientation and confusion in the face of an apparently meaningless or absurd world. [ 2 ] Many existentialists have regarded traditional systematic or academic philosophies, in both style and content, as too abstract and remote from concrete human experience. [ 3 ] [ 4 ] Existentialism is characterized by its proponents having profound doctrinal differences relative to other philosophies. [ 5 ] [ 6 ] [ 7 ]

The early 19th century philosopher Søren Kierkegaard is generally considered the founder of existentialism. [ 8 ] [ 9 ] He maintained that the individual is solely responsible for giving his or her own life meaning and for living that life passionately and sincerely, [ 10 ] [ 11 ] in spite of many existential obstacles and

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Albert Camus' The Stranger is the best book I have read concerning the philosophy of existentialism.

LRG

• d
    d

I belieive that the human self is the most important.

• mindseye
    mindseye

Existentialism has gotten a bad rap for being a gloomy or nihilistic philosophy. But when delving into it, one finds it is very life affirming. The point is that though much in life may be absurd, one can still create meaning and take responsibility for one's life. It is the ultimate excercise of free will.

The little Sartre I read in college was good. Camus' Myth of Sisyphus was one of my favorites. But I have to hand it to Nietzsche for shaking me out of my post-JW stupor.

• d
    d

I read a lot of Kafka when leaving the Jw's Kafka deals with a lot with Existentialism.

• d
    d

“Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.”
    ? Friedrich Nietzsche tags: convictions , existentialism , lies , truth 51 people liked it like

“Man is nothing else but what he makes of himself.”
    -Jean paul Satre.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The Stranger was a strange book. What was the meaning of it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit