hoodies

by outsmartthesystem 0 Replies latest jw friends

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Look....honestly, I dislike Geraldo Rivera just as much as the next guy. But I don't see a big problem with what he said about the "hoodie" being what killed Trayvon Martin. Is it a completely accurate statement? No....of course not. I think it is quite apparent that the Zimmerman was a racist with an itchy trigger finger and therefore he is to blame..........but I think the hoodie played a roll.

Hoodies are viewed rightly or wrongly as being a "thugish" style of clothing. It is simply a matter of stereotyping. I don't agree with sterotyping but all of us do it. Some to higher degrees than others and some to more ignorant or dangerous levels than others.

You may be the most timid and sweetest black kid in the world....but if you don a hoodie....the general populace is likely going to view you as a thug or gangsta without even knowing you. Similarly, you could be the most timid and sweet white kid in the world, but if you drive a pick up truck with a confederate flag on the license plate.....the general populace is going to view you as a redneck racist. All in all, it is quite sad that as a population....we judge people based on how they look or what they wear. But it is reality. And right or wrong (I believe wrong) it needs to be accepted as reality. If you want to wear a hoodie....certain people are going to judge you as being a punk without giving you a chance. Likewise if you insist on wearing a confederate flag t shirt....certain people are going to judge you as being a racist without giving you a chance. Being pre-judged like that could result in as little as getting an unfavorable look from someone. It could result in your being denied a job opportunity. Or in extreme situations.....it may very well contribute to a much worse situation as we have seen. I think the message Geraldo tried to convey is this "if you want to wear a hoodie....go ahead....but please be aware that there are a lot of intollerant people out there that may pre-judge you to be a thug because hoodies are, in their minds, synonomous with gangster life. You have freedom to wear what you want....but along with freedom comes consequences whether those consequences are justifiable or not."

Flame away!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit