Article: Reveal News-California court guts child abuse ruling against Jehovah's Witnesses

by AndersonsInfo 47 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader
    I read this and feel physically nauseated. And they will no doubt be saying that they let Jehovah fix it. They play by their own rules and condemn everyone else who uses those same rules. That letter of recommendation would be enough for me to see the unconscionable nature of the cult if I didn't already know they were vipers lying in wait.
  • sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

This will be viewed as a victory by almost all JWs. The court ruled that the only real problem was the supervision during field service. A jw will say that's a congregation problem and not an organization problem. Easily they will blame imperfect elders. Also this ruling more or less upholds their database as legal and keeping it a secret is ok.

I posted awhile ago that these lawsuits won't do much harm to the wtbs and I still think that. This case especially was going to bring them to their knees many thought. Don't be surprised when this very thing happens in the Lopez case.

• done4good
    done4good

Yep. I stand corrected on this. This is not a good verdict by almost any means, (for now). The appellate court fell into line with currently accepted law, and once again chose not to impose so called "unnecessary" restrictions on a religious group. Typical abuse of first amendment "rights" in America. Maybe a more progressive country could help a bit here???

Longer term, social evolution will have its way.

d4g

• Heaven
    Heaven

Now, three years later, an appeals court has eroded her courtroom victory even further by ruling that the leadership of the Jehovah’s Witnesses had no duty to warn congregants that a confessed child molester was one of their own.

This... right here ... is why parents should keep their kids away from ALL religion.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2
    @Heaven and that same statement validates their database as acceptable, which was one of the big arguments against them.
  • Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Evidently the congregation is considered "clean" if all the cigarette smokers are disfellowshipped. Child molesters, drunks and wife-beaters are welcome as flowers in spring.

The WT protects criminals who ruin children's lives. Any good they may have ever accomplished is wiped out by that one factor.

Marina

• steve2
    steve2

Joe - good question. Let me guess an answer: This ruling will likely not be appearing on jw.org.

Whilst a vistory of sorts for the organization, it's not the kind of victory that the GB will feel constrained to crow about.

Even the GB would realize this requires very carefully-worded PR sanitization.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2
    anyone on any pro JW message boards to see their comments on this?
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

A shameful victory through "theocratic warfare!" Jeehoobie must be so proud.

DD

• millie210
    millie210

After having a day to think about this I am wondering if this might not have a good outcome I didnt see earlier...

By upholding the judgement against the Org. while also lowering the payout amount makes the judge look "fair" to the harshest critic.

JWs planned to spin this two ways

a) the legal system is in the hands of Satan and is persecuting us (if they lost)

g) We are on Jahs side! (if they had a clear win - which they didnt)

So their usual way of hopping right or left wont work this time. If they rejoice over being found negligent what does that say?

If they rejoice over the payout being lowered that makes them look like money matters- which they try to pretend doesnt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit