Sound familiar? (Park) Romney, Mormon Apostate

by GLTirebiter 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

BBC has an article about Mitt Romney's cousin, a former "high priest" who left the LDS church and is critical of it.

"I became convinced that it's a fraud," Park Romney told the BBC, explaining his reason for leaving the Mormon fold.

"There's compelling evidence that the Mormon Church leaders knowingly and wilfully misrepresent the historical truth of their origins and of the Church for the purpose of deceiving their members into a state of mind that renders them exploitable," says Park.

One thing that particularly agitates them is "shunning" - allegations that former church members are denied access to family members who remain in the church.

Park claims this has happened to him.

"I am alienated from my family," he told the BBC.

"Their doctrine, their protocol and their culture as enforced by bishops encourages the families to disassociate themselves from the apostate."

Mormon Church elder Jeffrey Holland denies shunning occurs.

"We don't use that word and we don't know that practice.

• james_woods
    james_woods

So what???

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I like the blatant lie at the end, "we don't know that practice" . I can just see a JW using semantics that way if you did not use the correct term.

Mormons do shun, as do JW's, they just don't call it that.

By the way, I bet you can think of a good place to park Romney.

• poppers
    poppers

I got a couple of Mormon missionaries to admit that shunning does sometimes happen, though they claim that it shouldn't happen. It seems to me that if the church says it shouldn't happen then it wouldn't happen .

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

They don't shun!

They just lovingly ignore and exclude you until you see how wrong you are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit