Interesting discussion of JWs going on at Daily Kos

by BizzyBee 9 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Someone started a thread about jumping ugly with JWs who woke her up ringing her doorbell on a Saturday morning.

Then this thread was started by an ex-JW defending (or setting straight) misconceptions about JWs and politics:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/25/1077510/-Some-facts-about-and-a-partial-defense-of-Jehovah-s-Witnesses#comments

• baltar447
    baltar447

Ugh, I really deplore reading articles like this from people that don't recognize it to be a cult.

• baltar447
    baltar447

And that has got to be one of the worst comment systems I've seen ever.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I like to see those with an uninformed, but tolerant POV about JWs get a glimpse into the reality of the cult. Couple of comments from ex-JWs (and a shout-out for JWN):

• As a child, my JW family tried to convert me (13+ / 0-)

Numerous times. Against my Roman Catholic parents' wishes.

As a teenager and adult who ultimately chose to voluntarily attend their "bible studies", this was-and-is the M.O.:

1) Go out on "field service"(door-to-door proselytizing)
                2) Try to establish a bond with the "householder"
                3) Suggest a "bible study" with Watchtower material (never just the Bible alone)
                4) Get the "study" to convert to through denigration of their current religion and love-bombing at the Kingdom Hall.

It is all about conversion. Nothing else. For the rank-and-file, that is.

The more "studies"(past converts and potential converts), the more bragging rights a publisher (active JW) has. And brag about it they do.

If anyone wishes to know more about the conversion practices of JWs, a great website to consult is Jehovahs-Witness.net/.

I like to keep up on the JWs, because it is a dangerous cult, and I still have family members that are still in it.

• Technically this is true and sounds benign however (3+ / 0-)

it leaves out the very real harm done by the Jehovah's Witness religion. Its adherents are literally brainwashed from a very young age into a world-view that forbids independent thought, secular education beyond high school, and friendships with non-believers. It restricts employment, leisure pursuits and auto-didactic curiosity.

Furthermore, their blood-transfusion policy has needlessly denied many people, mostly youngsters, the opportunity to access medical care that likely would save lives threatened by disease and accidents resulting in thousands of deaths.

Most of all, however, it has utterly and heartlessly destroyed family relationships because of unrelenting sanctions against association with non-believers, whether mothers, fathers, children, grandparents, spouses, and siblings through the practice of "shunning."

Depression, suicides, pedophilia and alcoholism are rampant. Many, many, many JWs are "in" and going through the motions only because they do not want to lose the fellowship of their families.

Once you are "in" you cannot leave without severe consequences, which are not revealed until it is too late to have second thoughts.

I speak from first hand experience. Please do not soft-pedal the evil of this cult.

• I was rasied as a witness as well. (3+ / 0-)

this part;

(There is a whole lot of convoluted explanation about this that I do not care to go into.)
      made me lol. that shit about living forever aint logical. It don't work.

I left "the truth" at age 16 when my mother kicked me out of the house for willfully disobeyed her orders to not play basketball after school with the "worldly kids".

She packed my clothes up in garbage bags, and dropped me off at my fathers house.

I was so bitter about this, that I didn't talk to her for over 10 years. We were a very close-knit family, so this was a very painful thing for me at the time. Still is. I was cut off from everybody I knew.

She ended up drinking herself to death, dieing at age 54 of liver failure.

My step-dad was recently disfellowshipped for having premarital sex with a women that he fell in love with. I think it was the first time I ever saw him truly happy was when he was with that women. My Mother was awful to him.

Just thinking about this stuff makes me bitter and angry.

I'ts been 22 years since I've been to the Kingdom Hall.

</form>
  • wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea that article was a big piece of crap

• talesin
    talesin

It's always good to see that some of us (exJWs) are vigilant in tearing down the myths, as shown in your second post showing the comments section, BB.

As for the article, I snorted when I read this:

They do not encourage or respect the accumulation of wealth,

Perhaps the literature does not, but where I grew up, the elders who controlled the region were WEALTHY. From talking to my parents over the past several decades, it is clear that people in the congo still popularize those who have money, and the poor are just FS assets.

t

• Duderino
    Duderino

That website is crap i cant believe people are dum enough to waste time there not a sign of intellegence.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Duderino: " That website is crap i cant believe people are dum enough to waste time there not a sign of intellegence."

Not to feed the troll, but what are the odds that someone would misspell both "dumb" and "intelligence" in the same sentence?

• talesin
    talesin

@ hemp lover,, you missed "cant", not to mention grammar and punctuation ... hehehe

t

• Terry
    Terry

Hemp Lover! Where the heck have you been?

Good to see you back!

Yes, calling something "dum" has a certain self-inflicted irony about it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit