The fiction of the C.T Russell connection.i

by Phizzy 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It has been shown on here that none of the unique doctrines of the WT/JW religion come from Charles Taze Russell, so the present Org. has no theological connection with him.

The historical connection with him is really a fiction too, what Joseph. F. Rutherford did was seize control of the WT Corporation, and ownership, and the chief writer and editor positions, of the Watchtower magazine.

As soon as JFR got the power he started to sideline Russells work, he had to be subtle, those that had supported his coup were still in thrall to CTR, and their support was not without its reservations for Rutherford. He advocated straight away that congregations study together the Watchtower magazine, rather than Russells writings, which could be read at home.

This way all the Bible Student Congregations that remained affiliated were reading the thoughts of Rutherford alone. Straight away he claimed that "The Society" was God's Sole Channel and anyone outside the movement could not be saved. He had started his very own cult.

So, the question arises, why does the WT continue the fiction of a connection to Russell ? As has been shown, Russells ideas were not really his own, so if the interest was to truly show the growth of the modern movement from its start they would have to go back further than him.

C.T Russell was it seems loved by many and respected by even more, preachers of other denominations even compared him with other great preachers who had gone before, Spurgeon and Moody etc . So could it be that the WT likes to maintain the connection with CTR as a much more cuddly figure from history than Rutherford ?

Identification with Russell has not been without its problems, but can you imagine what it would be like if the JW's claimed that the modern movement was started by Rutherford, and the spotlight was therefore put upon him ?

That would be disastrous, so, what is essntially a fiction, the Mantle passing down from Russell is embraced by the WT as the lesser of two evils, and to draw attention away from Rutherford, and they get away with it, because until you look closely it seems to be true history.

As with most of the WT's claims, it is far from the truth.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I thought other denominations derided Russell. Where did others compare him with Spurgeon?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

There is slight connection with Russell not because he was one the president of the WTS. and lead editorial writer but because of 1914

Russell arrived at that date in one way ( Pyramidology ), Rutherford arrived at that date another way, both were unscriptural bullshit

but had valuable commercial appeal for literature.

Yet in the GB's recent video they state that both men were preachers of the Truth.

I guess crass charlatanism is preaching the Truth then .

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

SBF, I think mostly other religions did deride Russell, they didn't want to lose members to him obviously, the comparison I refer to was reported in Newspapers carrying articles about him,in the early 1900's, I don't think they felt that he was of the same stature perhaps , but that he drew the crowds.

I still feel that the way the WT presents Russell as their founding father is a convenient fiction to cover over the murky Rutherford seizure of the Org.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think his can be overstated, after all every movement betrays its founder to some extent.

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

Actually, Russell being the first president is fiction as well.

William Henry Conley was the first president, Russells father was VP, Russell himself was the Secretary. It's all fiction.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Russell had several derivations for the 1914 date and pyramidology was only a minor, supplementary indicator for him. The WT's present intepretation of the "seven times" bears only a superficial resemblance to Russell's interpretation. So, yes, Rutherford is really the founder of the JW movement - which is really a breakaway from the Bible Students who owe their origins to Russell. The only real continuity between Russell and Rutherford is the "trade mark" name Watchtower.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Because witlesses want the warm fuzzy nostalgia when things go their way and a scapegoat to blame when they don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit