Well, gee....

by Calico_Cat 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Calico_Cat
    Calico_Cat

I've been reading In Search of Christian Freedom this past few days (my hublet and I bought ISOCF, COC and two of Carl Jonsson's book--which my hubby love to read).

Anyways, I've finished reading the Legalism chapter and was kinda amused at the real story behind the change in baptism questions in the 80s. I was baptized in '77 and my hubby got dunked in '89.

So, I basically can walk away from it all--and get this, I can threaten to sue the elders because I wasn't baptized into the organization. But my hubby have to DA himself because the JW is his ecclesiastical authority. What a piece of crock LOL! We laughed about it last night. One thing my hubby has over me is that he doesn't have family in this cult while I have over half of mine.

• moman
    moman

Just be happt your out!
    Freedom is a precious thing.
    I hope you can reach your family, but be cautious, their Borg shields go up fast!

• TheStar
    TheStar

I find it interesting that both you and your husband got out of the Borg together. Especially since you have half your family in it. How did it start? Did he start questioning the society first or did you? I'm knew around here so forgive me for not knowing your story. I ask because I'm in a similar situation. Only I'm the one that doesn't have any family in the borg but my husband has all of his family except for his father. He's not listening to reason since I've been pointing out all the inconsistencies and out right lies. I know he has a lot to lose and thus one of the reasons he doesn't allow himself to acknowledge the facts. I don't know how to reach him.

• Calico_Cat
    Calico_Cat

Hi Star,

Don't push your new found truth to your husband. I took it one day at a time and let him see the destructiveness of this cult.

He was serving as a MS when we abruptly stopped attending the meetings. He got tired of the constant nagging by the CO and elders to do more. This was when I just had my baby and our son was constantly sick at the time. And during those sick days, no one from the congregation even called except one elder who never failed to ask about our service hours every month.

The thing about my husband is that he questions everything and always incredulous at new spiritual things so its very easy to sway (haha) him.

I am like your husband--family in the truth, did all the right things like pioneering, serving at Bethel (some branch in Asia). I never questioned anything.

What got me was the generation change. And that started it all. I guess my husband was ripe at the time for the picking and the time was right when I questioned this change. And that paved the way for our departure.

Don't get me wrong--I am not fully out yet although inactive. I still have family and I want them out. I cannot accomplish this if I decided to make it formal. I'm plotting out a way for them.

Just be yourself and let him know that whatever path you take--you'll always love him unconditionally. Thats what I told hubby. And show that love. Pretty soon he'll be able to compare your brand of love from the JW's.

Good luck.

• TheStar
    TheStar

Thanks for the advice Calico. It's so tough for me. Sometimes I don't know how I'll get through.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit