History of Witnessing in the UK.

by Chariklo 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Chariklo, am excited about finding out what you're up too.....and if I can help, count me in!

• bigmac
    bigmac

the reference to Glasgow caught my eye.

my first mother-in-law was from Glasgow--and as far as i know--was born into the religion. had she still been alive--she would be in her 90's now.

i only knew her from the mid-60's to the early 80's. she was fanatical. i understood her mother was a jw too. it means that side of my family has 5 generations in the religion. overlapping of course.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It seems the Bible Students were active in Glasgow very early indeed, from the 1880s.

Interestingly Morton Edgar did not break with Rutherford straight away but apparently only after 1928 when Rutherford rejected Pyramidology.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Hi, Big Mac, I might have known your mother in law cos I was a special pioneer in the mid sixties in Clydebank. I knew lots of the Glasgow folk.

And carry on googling, folks. There are some fascinating documents turning up online. When I did my research it was way back before the internet and Iwas fortunate to have been given a complete set of Russell's Studies in the Scriptures. To find other books I needed to trawl around second-hand dealers. Then I came across a retired Methodist minister who seemed to be a magnet for old books and knowing my research and wanting to help, he kept a look-out for stuff that might be relevant. Every now and again I'd get a phone call and he'd say something like, "Harp of God, do you want it?" I acquired a lot of junk from Norman, but he also came up with some real gems.

Btw, another title to look out for, though not particularly related to the Wt in the UK, is "What Pastor Russell Said," eidted by Leslie W Jones and published by the Bible Students' Bookstore in 1917. It's a compilation of answers Russell gave to questions people asked him. As I recall, it doesn't add anything to Russell's own writings but it gives a good insight into the character of Russell. It's not difficult to see why he was held in very high regard and affection. Highly intelligent guy - and a bit of a smartarse. Head and shoulders above any of his associates. Shame he got it all completely wrong!

Rob Crompton http://snigsfoot.blogspot.com

• Earnest
    Earnest

Hi slim, just dipping my toes into JWN every now and again at the moment but hope to take up the cudgels again in the not too distant future.

You will be pleased to know I have found a PDF of the Memoirs of John Edgar in the documents that Barbara Anderson has kindly made available on her website. In the PDF document entitled 1862-1950 Watchtower John and Morton Edgar it includes both Memoirs of Dr John Edwards (written by his sister) and The Preservation of Identity in the Resurrection by John Edgar (1919) as well as a number of other Edgar articles and publications.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit