School is for fools!

by BreathoftheIndianNose 6 Replies latest jw friends

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

So I'm looking to go to university, as is the norm. What are the most important things to consider choosing a school and location to study? And what would you say are the most important things to do in order to benefit from that education and succeed in that field? I'm really focused on pursing a carrier in the culinary arts.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

First I would look at the career and the pay that you can expect upon graduation and the top wage associated with reaching the height of your career but you also have to somewhat enjoy the career itself. Sometimes we want to pursuit a career that we will really enjoy but reality is the pay may never be that great for us to go ahead with it, or a career that pays a lot but will really hate it. Initially our extrinsic rewards are more important to our satisfaction but once those needs are reached we look to satisfy out intrinsic needs.

Some schools offer better programs than others in specific field of study so you may want to look at that but living costs and tuition fees may play a part in your decision making. Getting too deep in debt may not be the wisest decision so you may want to weigh the pros and cons of spending more to go to one school vs another.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

If you're looking for a career in Culinary Arts I'd say the most important thing to look for in a school is that it has a working dining area, where senior students actually cook and serve like a real restaurant. I'd assume most do, so next would be the school's reputation in that field, and there are always warious ranking agencies and recognitions a school can have (for example, my school's newspaper was a finalist in the national college Pacemaker awards for overall journalism, which is meaningless to anybody outside our field but for an aspiring journalist it gives a good indication of our school's quality in that area).

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I have no experience in culinary art, unless we call scribbling on the receipt from the shop, where I purchased my beans from..... culinary art.

I am a student ...may I reccomend you visit the schools you have in mind, check out the staff, the ethos, their approach (as all are unique). Secondly, you would not move to another city randomly in normal life, so if you can help it dont do it for education either. Visit the areas you would be living in and see if you could live there for 'x' number of years for the degree.

Ask the schools for their stats on employment, pass rate etc. Ask if they have placement schemes or access to jobs schemes etc. I.e. a chance to get your foot in the door with a big local/non-local player.

As for the choice in degree, well done... people will always want and more importantly need FOOD, clothing and housing, second to funeral parlours and doctors. For those that can afford it or get caught pinching oreo's, lawyers are sometimes useful. Everything else is a risky degree or a degree of passion. Either way its better than no degree.

Go do it Follow your dreams, I guarantee you wont regret it x Remember that the people that say "dont do it" have never done it and never will do it, hence they dont want you to do it! That was a big lesson in my early days. Be brave, follow your dreams, it is never a mistake to do so ;)

Snare x

• AnneB
    AnneB

never mind. :)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

If you are in the US, I highly recommend the Culinary Institutes of America in Hyde Park, NY From my understanding, it is considered the number one school. People tell me it is expensive but if you graduate from CIA, you are set for life.

Le Cordon Bleu in Paris is another big name.

My friend's sister graduated from Princeton and then was slated to start CIA. The students are very diverse in age and experience. Her ardor for food cooled, though, when she had to practice knife skills intensely before orientation. It is a practical test if you really have the drive. When I watch cooking shows, they always mention CIA.

If you want to stay in a region, I would do informational interviews with chefs at top restaurants and hotels in your area. I expect specialty web sites or magazines might also rank a school's reputation. I would do the same if there is a cuisine that you know you life. French, Cajun, Spanish-whatever.

I'd reference where James Beard and Alice Waters went to school. The Food Network stars.

I find word of mouth to be of great value. My college life was hell in terms of social scene. When I chose a law school, I placed a great deal of emphasis on the ambiance of the school. College taught me there is more than academic excellence.

If you are near a major city, try eating in some of the better restaurants and talk with the staff. I don't have the stamina to be a chef. When I lived in New York, I met a lot of chefs. I suppose the time you are eating determines whether or not they are available for conversation. The most important thing in this economy is the placement services at the school. Your degree should be able to stand on its own. In the legal field, only people at the top schools are getting jobs. Enrollment is down for the first time. Calculate whether the degree makes economic sense.

I would also look for a school where you could spend a semester abroad, preferably in France.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

What do you want to cook? Are you wanting to eventually open a diner, a seafood restraunt, Italian, Indian? I think you'd want to know where your food prep interest lies before choosing a culinary college.

I do like watching Kitchen nightmares with Gordon Ramsey. That guy is gold. He trainied in France, and that may be the most popular place, but you'd need to do your homework before you zero in on any particular school....imho of course.

And school is not for fools

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit