Funny story! I guess that settles it.

by BreathoftheIndianNose 8 Replies latest jw friends

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

So about 2 years ago I decided to put an end once and for all to the myth about JW's being a cult. If I could prove it to myself that we weren't, I could prove it to those annoying people at the doors who say JWs are a cult as well. It was really hard to find a deffenition that proved that we weren't a cult. After lots of studying and after sifting through about five dictionaries with cult deffenitions that sounded way to close to JWs, I found a dictionary with a deffenition that kind of showed we weren't a cult. So I devised a great quiz/game that I thought would help me and others better understand what a cult acctually is and why JWs don't fit into that category. It was your basic: match the definitions with term/word game. So I decided to try it on my pioneer mom first. "Mom," I said, "k, I'm gonna read off the definitions and you have to choose what what term/word fits with the definition. You can choose between 3 terms/words: Cult, Sect and Religion. Ok? ONLY those 3 words. Got it?" "Ok, I got it." "Here's your fist definition mom." Then I read off the deffenition for CULT, that's right, Cult. What was her answer almost before I could even finish reading the deffenition? Without even flinching, she exclaimed, "Oh, Jehovah's Witnesses!" It wasn't even one of the options. The game totally backfired, not what I was aiming for. That experience always stuck with me and haunted me all my remaining Jdub years. So I guess that settles it. My mom says JWs are a cult, without even skipping a beat. So, they are.

• biometrics
    biometrics

Welcome. And what was the definition of cult you read to your mum?

• TOTH
    TOTH

Mom is wise and KNEW what you were up to!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Very funny!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

That's funny!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Is your mom still in?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

LOL!

Yet like cult-members, we all believed we weren't in a cult!

• sizemik
    sizemik

It shows the power of semantics . . . take out the weighted buzz-words and the truth emerges in all it's glory.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit