A glimmer of hope for sinners from the Watchtower! :)

by TimothyT 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Last week I once again had a chat with the sister who still feels she can get me back to the organisation. She touched upon the facts in the bible, namely that God condemns homosexuality and that I cannot break Gods laws and expect him to forgive me so freely. I beg to differ. I came home and decided to pull out a Watchtower which I remembered was EXTREMELY well written and made a very valid point. Here it is: (Watchtower 2010, 15 October, page 11)

15 The second factor to remember when we are faced with a situation that appears to be unfair is that ourviewpointmaybedistortedorlimited. It can be distorted by imperfection, prejudice, or cultural background. It is also limited by our inability to discern motives and to know what is really in people’s hearts. In contrast, both Jehovah and Jesus have no such limitations.—Prov. 24:12; Matt. 9:4; Luke 5:22.

In my case, being gay, I feel that many JWs simply do not understand that this isn’t a choice at all, but it is who I am, and fighting against this is so terribly demeaning and made me extremely unhappy. Therefore, as the paragraph states, unlike humans, Jehovah and Jesus can read my heart and discern my motives, appreciating that I am not some slag but I am simply trying to live my life happily.

17 However, this law on adultery [regarding David and Bathsheba] was given by Jehovah to imperfect judges, who could not read hearts. Despite their limitations, they were enabled by this law to be consistent in their judgments. On the other hand, Jehovah can read hearts. (Gen. 18:25; 1 Chron. 29:17) So we should not expect that Jehovah would have to be restricted by a law he designed for imperfect judges. If he were, would that not be like forcing someone with perfect vision to wear eyeglasses that are designed to correct the vision of those with defective sight?

In our discussion she said that Jehovah would not make an exception for me, and I would be wrong if I thought he would. The truth is though; I think he does make an exception. The reason why is perfectly explained here in their own literature. Jehovah’s laws were written for imperfect men who cannot see what a person truly feels. Jehovah on the other hand can see my issues and can empathise and adjust his judgment accordingly, sometimes removing the judgement when he sees that the person is honest hearted.

There may be hope for us all yet. (John 3:16)

Timmy xx

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Meh, nevermind... I think my question may be interpereted the wrong way so I'm editing it out and I will just be happy for you that you are at peace and content. :)

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, you are free to believe whatever you want, and to interpret Scripture any way you want- that’s what people who aren’t in a high-control group usually do.

And you can’t make a worse job of it than the Watchtower Society has. Not that it really matters- eventually you will discover the reality about the Bible; and how little it matters. You should realize though, that the Watchtower Society is a toxic religion on so many levels, and the further you can get away from it the better. It’s really only those who have relatives still in the cancer who take note of what the Borg does, so as to stay out of trouble.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty
    decided to pull out a Watchtower which I remembered was EXTREMELY well written and made a very valid point.

Isnt that an oxymoron?!?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Jimmy Carter, 39th President of the United States, Baptist:

"Homosexuality was well known in the ancient world, well before Christ was born and Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. In all of his teachings about multiple things -– he never said that gay people should be condemned. I personally think it is very fine for gay people to be married in civil ceremonies."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/president-jimmy-carter-bible-book_n_1349570.html?ref=religion

Timothy: Your friend is correct that the WT organization will not make an exception for you. However, as you can see from the quote above, many Christians will accept you as their brother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit