Modern, contemporary style churches just Jesus worshippers?

by yadda yadda 2 3 Replies latest jw friends

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

After I left the JW's about 5 years ago I decided to visit a few other churches out of curiosity. I visited some big contemporary style churches, you know, the ones with bands and loads of young people. I wasn't surprised to see so much emphasis on Jesus of course but what struck me was the almost total absence of any emphasis or praise given to the Father.

Naturally they believe in the trinity and that Jesus is God so they probably don't think anything of all this emphasis being on Jesus to the exclusion of the Father but it's not what we see in the new testament is it. Jesus and Paul rather clearly saw only the father as God with Jesus as the Son of God. Its really only in John's writings that some concept of a trinity is hinted at (John 1:1 being the strongest).

I'm not intending to start a trinity discussion. The point is, shouldn't all Christians focus at least as much on the Father as Jesus. Where is the scriptural case for the inordinate emphasis on Jesus that we see in the modern style churches today. I was on a website for one of them today and there was not a single use of the words "God" and "Father", just Jesus Jesus Jesus.

JW's deserve criticism for not giving as much honour to the Son as the Father (John 5:23) but it seems that many modern churches are similarly just as guilty of minimising the Father. No one seems to have the balance right. I noticed on my visits to these churches that the only time the Father gets mentioned is in their prayers.

• barry
    barry

I beleive the Holy Spirit is the forgotten member of the godhead. How often are prayers directed to the Holy Spirit? and remember he is another comforter our lord promised to send and was sent at penticost.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Of all the churches I've been to over the years (and I have been to many) there is a mixture. Some use God's name (Jehovah), most don't, the one I attend now occasionally prays to the Holy Spirit (which I find a bit unusual), most focus on Jesus.

• designs
    designs

I attended Calvary Chapel, Baptist and Presbyterian each had its own flavor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit