Verbal definitions exclusive to the WT?

by Chariklo 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

Just what, exactly, do the JW's mean by "shepherding"?

Being a naive ex-/ or rather lapsed Catholic I assumed that "shepherding" calls were the same thing as pastoral visits by a priest, which involve basically a friendly cup of tea/coffee and a chat, or a visit in hospital to the sick.

It's gradually dawning on me that there's not a lot that's pastoral about "shepherding" visits by the JW's. Reading through STFOG, I have a feeling that their brand of shepherds are a mixture of policeman and agents provocateurs.

Similarly with "counsel", and "counselling". In the real, non JW world, to counsel is to give advice, and counselling involves empathetic and skilled listening, with warm intent to help and heal the person. JW counselling, on the other hand, seem to use the word to mean something like "questioning a sinner and making sure that he is found guilty", and then taking measures that, with policemen, would involve placing him under arrest and bringing him to court, and with JW elders mean no less than removing "privileges" from him and then taking measures up to and including disfellowshipping.

Another JW weasel word could be "encouraging"/"encouragement"/"encourage". Just what exactly do they mean by it, when used in connection with elders and elders' visits? I don't think I know, but I have a strong feeling it's not quite what the rest of the world takes it to mean.

Thanks, everyone!

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

Shepherding calls should be that, to help. However, JWs really aren't a religion as much as it is mind control. Using or rather misusing scriptures does not a religion make.

Cults and mind control are well known for loaded language and definitions that mean something different to them than the public. The R&F for the most part see the shepherding calls as what they are...help...until they get one.

They are disguised as help, but it really is garnering information that they might be able to use on you later. If you are having minor issues, you know stuff like your husband beats you, they will offer spiritual counsel and tell you to be a better wife, stuff like that. However if you are questioning the organization at all, it really is a get you to talk so we have ammo to DF you. I know the shepherding calls that I was involved in were all about trying to bully me into baptism (I was 14) and when I wouldn't I was announced from the stage, put on public reproof, basically "avoid her". I used to think my story was unique, however I hear this too often.

There are recordings of shepherding calls ( http://deathorobedience.blogspot.com/ is one) you can listen for yourself. It is just too common of a theme, bully tactics disguised as help aka shepherding call.

The reality is, if you REALLY need spiritual help, the elders are no where to be found (there are exceptions, I have known really decent and caring elders), they only care when they need to boot your behind.

• flipper
    flipper

WT definition of shepherding ? Elders call on allegedly " weak " , allegedly " unspiritual " JW's ( meaning they don't comment, attend meetings regularly , or don't go out in service ) . Then elders make arrangements to call again on these ones to ask intrusive, personal questions about their life - to see if " Satan " is overeaching them - allegedly. Believe me- " counsel ", encouragement " , " shepherding ", it all just means the elders think you as a rank & file JW are deficient and need " help ". When in actuality- they don't need any help at all

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Thanks, Flipper and Blond-moment

Then elders make arrangements to call again on these ones to ask intrusive, personal questions about their life - to see if " Satan " is overeaching them - allegedly.

Flipper, that use of "overeaching" must be unique to JW's...is it? I know "overreaching" as meaning "stretching out too far, e.g, so that one might overbalance. I have never met it before used in this way. I think you mean Satan overshadowing? Taking control of?

Blond-moment, thanks for that link. I'm going to listen to it a bit later on, when I have a bit of spare time.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Whenever I think of shepherding calls, counsel or encouragement from the elderberries all I can hear is a whip cracking, beating us back in line.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Whenever I think of shepherding calls, counsel or encouragement from the elderberries all I can hear is a whip cracking, beating us back in line.

That's the impression I've got. Only recently, though. before that, it all seemed like something in a rosy idealistic glow.

It's a con, pure and simple.

• biometrics
    biometrics

I've had shepherding calls. The elders usually won't mention to they are on a shepherding call, they'll come around under the pretence of a friendly chat, but they'll be steering the conversation toward certain topics.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Is it best just to find all their suggested times inconvenient, for a variety of reasons?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Well since early 2010 you can add the word "generations" to your list.

No other group on earth would ever attempt to say that people with a 99 year age difference are of the same generation because their lives "overlapped" no matter how momentarily.*

-------------------------------------------------------------------

See the Watchtower of Apr 15, 2010, page 10: Holy Spirit's Role in the Outworking of Jehovah?s Purpose

You can also see the same quote attributed to John Barr at the 2010 annual meeting in the Watchtower of June 15, 2010 p . 5. There, Barr presented the latest understanding of the generation.

* Frederick William Franz (September 12, 1893 – December 22, 1992). His life was used in the 2010 District Convention discussing the latest generation teaching to illustrate the life of an anointed person from the FIRST GROUP of this single "Overlapping Generation":

"Since Brother Franz lived until 1992, many present-day anointed ones were contemporaries of his and are part of the 'generation' that Jesus said would not pass away 'until all these things occur'."

See the comprehensive JWFACTS article "Changes to the Generation Teaching" for more details.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit