St Paddy was pretty much a Dark Ages Rick Santorum.

by Low-Key Lysmith 7 Replies latest social current

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

While many of us Yankees will be eating Irish stew & corned beef & cabbage and getting pasted on green beer, Irish whiskey, and/or Guinness, take a moment to ponder what we're really celebrating. St Patricks Day in the US has become more a secular holiday than a religious one, mainly an excuse to overindulge in booze and embrace Irish heritage (whether you have any or not), and basically get your party on and wear silly green costumes, which is all fine & dandy.

Let's take a brief look at what's really being celebrated, however.

St Patrick wasn't even Irish. He was a Briton slave kidnapped and taken to Rome where he was raised and schooled in Catholicism, eventually becoming a bishop. He was sent back to Erin to spread Christianity to what was then, a pagan country. These "snakes" that you hear about that Paddy "drove out of Ireland" were not really slithering reptiles, rather, they were the druids or pagan priests. Thus began a campaign of murder and oppression led by Ol' Paddy and his cross-waving band of thugs across Ireland, killing and harrassing anyone who would convert to his religion. Kinda sounds like the mindset of someone else we know here in our day & age, don't it?

I would be a liar if I said I'm not going to have a few pints of good stout and a dram of Bushmills or three today. But, when I raise my glass, it will be to honor the non-Christians that were harrassed and killed for their pagan beliefs waaaay back in the 5th century.

Beannachtai Na Feile Padraig Oiraibh!

-Breck

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good man yerself !

The history of "christianity" in Britain is much the same, we got the revisionist version at school, that St Augustine came over and converted the heathen inhabitants who were all covered in wode and ignorant savages.

Of course the truth is quite different, Augustine was sent here (I live in England) to sort out the indigenous christianity which was living alongside some pagan stuff, good old Druids and so on.

You never hear about his meeting with the leaders of the christianity that was here, he told them he came in peace, so to come as the Christ would have, without a sword.

"St" Augustine and his thugs then slaughtered all of these guys who did not bow the knee to Rome.

Still, happy St Paddy's , all that is in the past, tonights drinking is to come !

SLAINTE !

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Not to get too detail oriented, but St. Patrick was actually Scottish and was kidnapped by Irish raiders and sold off as a slave back on the emerald ilse. After a number of years he escaped back to Scotland and then persued a life of education and and religion and was drawn to the catholic faith. He later received the sacrament of the preisthood and then was sent back to Ireland by the church where he converted many pagans to christianity. Clearly, the truth of the saints day has been lost to too many pints as it is a favorite drinking day of many. myself included

respectfully,

dc

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith
    Not to get too detail oriented, but St. Patrick was actually Scottish and was kidnapped by Irish raiders and sold off as a slave back on the emerald ilse.

After delving a little deeper, it would seem that you are correct and my facts were a bit off. Here's an interesting piece written by a colleague of mine:

St. Patrick it appears was actually a Scot. (Aye, Laddie…)

According to the definitive Butler’s Lives of the Saints, Complete Edition: “St. Patrick was born in the decline of the fourth century; and as he informs us in his Confession, in a village called Bonaven Taberniæ, which seems to be the town of Killpatrick, on the mouth of the river Clyde, in Scotland, between Dunbaron and Glasgow. He calls himself both a Briton and a Roman, or of a mixed extraction, and says his father was of a good family named Calphurnius, and a denizen of a neighbouring city of the Romans, who not long after abandoned Britain, in 409. Some writers call his mother Conchessa, and say she was niece to St. Martin of Tours. At fifteen years of age he committed a fault, which appears not to have been a great crime, yet was to him a subject of tears during the remainder of his life. He says, that when he was sixteen, he lived still ignorant of God, meaning of the devout knowledge and fervent love of God, for he was always a Christian: he never ceased to bewail this neglect, and wept when he remembered that he had been one moment of his life insensible of the divine love. In his sixteenth year he was carried into captivity by certain barbarians, together with many of his father’s vassals and slaves, taken upon his estate. They took him into Ireland, where he was obliged to keep cattle on the mountains and in the forests, in hunger and nakedness, amidst snows, rain, and ice. Whilst he lived in this suffering condition, God had pity on his soul, and quickened him to a sense of his duty by the impulse of a strong interior grace. The young man had recourse to him with his whole heart in fervent prayer and fasting; and from that time faith and the love of God acquired continually new strength in his tender soul. He prayed often in the day, and also many times in the night, breaking off his sleep to return to the divine praises.”

While a slave in Ireland, he was converted to Christianity… on a hill in the North of Ireland, in County Antrim … (yes, that County Antrim, where they distill the famous whiskey…)

If you would like to actually visit the legendary first home of St. Patrick, you will find it near Ballymena, which is about 30 miles away from the Giants’ Causeway and the town of Bushmills. You will actually see the area where Patrick began his ministry, preached to his first converts – baptizing them in streams such as St Columb’s Rill and where he is said to have performed some of his first miracles. (It’s hardly a wonder that they should make such good whiskey there…) Patrick spent much of his time in the area and would have known it well. This is undisputed.

The British chronicler, Nennius (Nennius was a Welsh monk of the 9th century to whom one of the first histories of the Britons is attributed) speaking of Slemish mountain writes…. “it is from this hill that Patrick blessed the people of Ireland and his object in climbing to its summit was that he might pray for them and see the fruit of all his labours….”

Eventually, Patrick was ordained a bishop. He became Bishop of Armagh, again, in the North. This is the Episcopal Seat for all of Ireland for both the Roman Catholic Church and the Church of Ireland (Anglican.) The Archbishop of Armagh is the Primate of All Ireland and direct successor to St. Patrick.

Both Roman Catholic and Anglican (Church of Ireland) Bishops trace their apostolic descent back to St Patrick through the laying on of hands during their ordination. [An interesting footnote to this is that the Bishop who ordained me priest, traced his own Episcopal apostolic succession and Patrick was included in that line of succession, thus I can trace my own succession directly back to him as well.]

When Patrick died (c. 461 AD) he was first buried near Saul at Strangford Lough where he built his very first church, in County Down. The county gets its name from the town of “Downpatrick”. Most of his remaining relics remain in the area.

Northern Ireland has always been considered to be the ‘land of St. Patrick’…

Like many of the common people and religious of his day, Patrick travelled mostly on foot and stayed pretty close to home. Although he converted many of the Irish, including tribal kings and princes, his ecclesiastical duties from about 428 AD onward were centered in the North. While legend has it that he spent some time in County Mayo (180 miles to the West) it is very unlikely that he ever made it very far South to Dublin and entirely doubtful that he ever visited Cork (some 260 miles South.)

St Patrick is the Patron Saint for “all of Ireland” as he is referred to by the Roman and Anglican Churches as “Archbishop of Armagh and Apostle of Ireland.”

• Berengaria
  • Low-Key Lysmith
  • glenster
  • TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Seems like this post has some 'posting issues' or my server isn't showing the replys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit