How to explain cognitive dissonance without offending cults and religion.

by Joey Jo-Jo 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

E.g. (this might offend smokers lol)

Scenario 1

Let's say you are aware that smoking is bad for you and addictive (element 1) so you dont smoke (element 2) - this is congnitive consonance (rational harmony)

Scenario 2

Let's say you are aware that smoking is bad for you and addictive (element 1) but you smoke anyway (element 2) = the mind's natural reaction to this irrational decision is to create anxiety with the person smoking, but the person wanting to continue to smoke will substitute this anxiety with a positive mental idea "well him old so I will probably never get cancer" or "I will quit when I reach my 30's" this irrational excuse (element 3) will substitute element 1 - this is cognitive dissonance.

• sizemik
    sizemik

There's a very good interview with Carol Tavris (Mistakes Were Made But Not By Me) here dealing with CD and self-justification.

Also some good suggestions on this previous thread.

The smoking analogy is valid and often used.

• dgp
    dgp

I understand the point, but I think that the real concern is not offending "cults and religion", but telling the truth to the victim in a way s/he will not be scared away.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

sizemik: Thx, was not aware, will look into it.

dgp: That is the truth, cognitive dissonance isn't just a cult thing, and one my have to tell a witness, not a good idea to say it directly.

This explanation was in a book that I am studying "Psychology" used in University.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit