True Peace and Security - books

by Lady Lee 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have a question that has puzzled me for a long time. I would love to have some explanation because I cannot think of one.

I left the JWs in 1985. The year after they released a book called "True Peace and Security - How Can You Find It?". I got a copy of this book several years after it was released so I am unaware of the information about it.

In 1973 the JWs released a book with a similar title "True Pease and Security - From What Source?".

In examining the two books they are almost identical. Chapter titles are identical except for the first chapter. But even in that chapter the paragraphs are almost identical - word for word.

What was the purpose of releasing the same book with a slightly altered name and few changes?

Were the r&f informed that this book was a revision and not a new publication?

Were the r&f encouraged to buy this book and study it even though they already had the first book?

Was this book used in the book studies meetings as study material?

I recall that the first book was used in the book study meetings. And I recall that years earlier we were given another book to study a second time - I forget which. Many of the r&f who already had the book did not buy a new copy. Those who did not have an old copy or thier old one was too marked up bought the new copies. I distinctly recall a lot of questionning why some paragraphs were different in the two books. We finally concluded that this was "new light" and shrugged it off. No wonder some of those books were so hard to understand - was one of those deep prophesy books if I recall.

We all know that the WTBTS edits their own material and never makes that public knowledge. Is this book an exception to that?

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• Kep
    Kep

I left in 1995.
    I remember this revised book, and we did have it as book study material.
    I never thought to double check it with previous release.
    Maybe, by changing the cover and a couple of things here and there, all the newer members would be overjoyed at this later and updated version.
    I guess it keeps the printing presses working as well.

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

I'll give you a clue, it was the same with the Truth That Leads To Eternal Life book. If it has to do with the Anointed, they are changing the wording,,,
    ,,,,,guess why?

Norval

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I sort of expect that new printings will be changed to reflect "new light" but I have both copies of this True Peace book and it just boggles the mind - they basically changed the title and a few words here and there and got everyone to buy the book again - talk about putting one over on people.

and I would not be surprised at all if few people noticed

When I get my scanner up and running - or a new one I will scan pages from each so you can compare

Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Lady Lee,

You said:

they basically changed the title and a few words here and there and got everyone to buy the book again - talk about putting one over on people.
    That happened to me from Prevention books too. They put a new cover on a book about Foods for Healing and it was the same darn book i already had.

Pat

WTBS: Quit peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Anyone know of other books they have done this to?

So far some of you have mentioned the Truth and Prevention books. I know about WT changes. Any others?

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I know that any time a book was 'revised' we felt some wierd desire to 'purchase' oops, I mean 'obtain' the latest book. Like it somehow mattered that they had changed 2 phrases in the book ... more money in the coffers of the WTBTS!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit