Question about Private/Public Reproof Records

by letsgetout 6 Replies latest jw friends

• letsgetout
    letsgetout

Hello all, I have seen several topics of DF/DA records being kept, but not any on how long they keep private/public reproof records. Anyone know?

Are forms sent to the Society on these instances like they do for DF/DA individuals?

• sir82
    sir82

Every time there is a judicial committee, a file is created, even if the outcome is "merely" reproof.

Judicial files are supposed to be kept for 7 years then destroyed. In actual practice, I think many times they are kept indefinitely.

An exception would be child molestation cases, which are supposed to be kept indefinitely.

The Society is not informed of cases where the outcome is reproof. They are only notified of disfellowshippings.

An exception would be if an elder, ministerial servant, or pioneer is reproved. In that case he would also be "deleted" as an elder / MS / pioneer. When someone is "deleted", the Society wants to know why, and thus they'd know of the reproof.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

What happens to the records kept of inactive ones?

If a cong knows some-one has moved to a new area/country do they send the records to that country's branch or do they keep them until asked? If no-one asks because the person has decided to fade and does not register at the local KH what happens then? If it became known that I was apostate locally could they disfellowship me even though I only went once?

Any-one?

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Due to strict privacy laws in European countries, things are somewhat different over here.

E.g. in Norway, no records are kept... When a notification of a DF is sent to the Society, the reason for the DF offense is spelled out with reference to a bible quiotation onlye, e.g. Matthew 5:3 (example have no real reference). The file are not kept.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

InquiryMan:

I am glad things are stricter in Europe. At least you have some "sense" that records will be destroyed and your privacy is respected to some degree. I don't have as much hope for us here in the U.S. Your privacy means zilch here and I am not just referring to the religion. Anybody who asks for anything to be deleted or destroyed from any organization or data-base is pretty much at the mercy of the efficiency or honesty of the persons there they are dealing with. What if the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing or if things are backed-up elsewhere, etc.?

Unless I myself actually saw something being deleted or shredded, I fear that it may still be around somewhere.

• PrincessCynic
    PrincessCynic

If an active publisher is privately reproved and then moves to another cong shortly after, does the information about the reproof get passed on?

Had an argument with my husband about this once, he thinks that nothing would be passed on if restrictions are lifted but suspect otherwise.

• letsgetout
    letsgetout

Very interesting sir82, thanks for the information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit