The Movie 'Doubt'

by the-illuminator81 0 Replies latest social entertainment

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Saw this movie last week with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams and thought it was great. It's about a catholic school where the priest is suspected to have an unhealthy relationship with one of the boys.

BTW, spoiler alert for the text below ;-)

Apart from that whole storyline, which is of course of interest for ex-JWs, there is another very moving moment at the end of the movie when the headsister (meryl streep) confesses to the other sister (amy adams). After much trouble the headsister finally was able to get rid of the priest to protect the boy. She forced the priest to apply for transfer.

Now you have to imagine that this nun is of course much like a JW with a big faith in God. She must've felt that she was doing God's will when she forced the priest to leave the school. But then she received the report that he was assigned to an even bigger school, even after she reported what she had seen to her superiors. So that's when she confesses to the other sister about having doubts, very large doubts, in tears.

I was very moved by this scene because this is exactly what I felt (although in an entirely different perspective with different cause). It was very therapeutic to see this in a movie. I even had the chance to tell my wife (who is still JW) why meryl streep was having doubts.

Another thing that this movie made clearer to me was that it seems that often the people leaving the WTS are the people who took the faith the most serious. I took being a JW a lot more serious than my wife, but I'm out and she's still in. In the movie, the biggest hardliner catholic (meryl streep) is the one with the biggest doubts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit