The Recovery Process Of Leaving The Watchtower

by Bangalore 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

The Recovery Process Of Leaving The Watchtower.

http://www.jwfiles.com/wt_professional_look_at_jws/recovery.htm

Bangalore

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Thank you for posting this.

Making an exit from the WT is one of the most difficult things I've ever done. It's easy to forget just how bad it can be during the first few months, once you've successfully recovered.

Further, many of the new ones on this forum are precisely in the middle of the storm, and they're turmoil is obvious. I try to be as mindful of this as possible. Yet, I don't always succeed.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I see a lot of truth in the article.

Anyone know of Victor Escalante's credentials?

Is this just a personal experience and personal opinion, or does he have a background in psychology, etc?

Thanks.

Doc

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Thanks for posting this, Bangalore.

Many of you may think that as I never actually became a JW I couldn't possibly know, and of course my experience doesn't include many years or even being born as a JW. Really, only a comparatively short time of almost 2 years, preceded by a longer period of softening up. But it got to within days...

So I haven't experienced a disfellowshipping process, but I have experienced much, much too recently the totally unexpected, out-of-the-blue cross-examination and systematic psychological shredding that a authoritative elders' visit can produce. That gave me the complete cold shower and, thank goodness, the sharp, strident wake-up call that has saved me at the last minute.

Coming back onto this site has been just one thing that's helped. You might think, why do I need help after so short a time in it? Because, incredibly, you might think, those of you who remember me coming here for a few months back in the early summer, since a couple "rescued" me from the situation caused by one sister's behaviour, I had thrown myself totally into the life and activities of the congregation, and seemed to have made new friends. Since many of my old friends had been so stunned or concerned at what I'd done they'd faded away, and the whole pattern of my life had changed.

There is no way I am ever going back into a Kingdoom Hall, but I was so shocked and troubled by some of the things said that I too have experienced some of the symptoms listed on that page. Two good long conversations in the last day or so, one with two really good old friends, and one with another less well-known friend but one skilled in exactly this kind of recovery, have helped me somewhat.

I can add to the helpful links, as a resource these two pages on parts of the process. That elders' visit lleft me traumatised. These pages might seem to some extreme, in the circumstances, but actually even I have experienced some of these effects to a degree.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/109892-dissociative-symptoms-acute-stress-disorder/

http://www.isst-d.org/education/faq-trauma.htm

I'm still working through it all. The JW induction process seems to me to break people down psychologically. I think that process must lie behind many of the "The Bible Changes Lives" stories in the Watchtower.

Perfectly normal-looking people living perfectly normal lives are made to loathe and reject their former selves, friends, hobbies, perhaps families all for this group of smug self-satisfied deluded preachers.

Am I being too harsh? I'm still pretty angry at what happened to me.

• justmom
    justmom

Thanks Bangalore....

I agree. Many may experience most if not all of these emotions!

We've been there. But focusing on the concluding paragraph can be the best remedy for healing. Dwelling on the rest after a normal grieving period is exactly what the adversary wants us to do in order for us to think the grass was greener back down in Egypt with Quail to eat.

Some of us have left for different reasons. If it was TRULY a prayers answer and holy spirit led us out.....then fleeing up to Mount Zion (or attaching ourselves completely to the Christ) is where we are to turn to as Peter said "Lord/You have the sayings of everlasting life"

Allowing our Lord to lead us, speak to us, guide our footsteps, light our path or roadway and follow only Him and not a man-made organization that took many years of some of our lives. Those years do not have to be in vain or anger-filled. Use all the TRUTH (principles of Christ they taught us) not what THEY DID to perfect our spirit and use it to help others still trapped inside that are calling out in pain.

Let our personality be clothed with the true identifying mark. LOVE~~~!

I truly pity those ones that choose to stay inside, but it is not us that does the calling nor the choosing. It is our Father through His son! And I am truly grateful that he found me....in time! There is much work to be done. Lets keep busy for Him and he will keep our heads raised and our spirit strong.

Much Love to you ALL

Justmom

• finally awake
    finally awake

even for those of us who had relatively easy leaving experiences, it was still a very painful experience. thank you for the link

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Glad you all liked it.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit