Does prayer have any effect?

by The Quiet One 56 Replies latest jw experiences

• N.drew
    N.drew

I believe God has a family. Whether or not God is a real person it makes sense that God will do right by His family first. Just like you.

• cofty
    cofty

it makes sense that God will do right by His family first

In other words god will heal the athletes foot of a christian but the child with cancer can fuck off.

Your god is pathetic.

• N.drew
    N.drew
    In other words god will heal the athletes foot of a christian but the child with cancer can fuck off.

Nope, wrong again!

We're not talking about Christians. We're talking about angels.

• N.drew
    N.drew

God is a spirit. Spiritual welfare ALWAYS comes before physical welfare because forever is real.

• cofty
    cofty

Nope, wrong again! We're not talking about Christians. We're talking about angels

Oh that makes more sense then doesn't it?

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I believe that prayer is focused energy. So, meditation is the very same thing. You're just focusing your own energy that you have within yourself toward the outcome that you want. This why praying/meditating for a million dollars doesn't work.

I don't pray, but I do use grounding and focusing techniques when I need to write something that is important and needs to be coherent and intelligent. Some people might laugh when they see me at my laptop with 2 lavender candles lit, an amethyst stone, and essential oils on my forehead... But this is what grounds, centers, and focuses ME. I believe everything has energy (not divine, but scientific). Some of my best writing has been done in this manner because it just assists me in focusing MY energy on the outcome and how I get there. To me, prayer is only different in that it is focused on a PERSONAGE. But it's still YOUR OWN ENERGY that causes your prayer to be "answered" or not. It's your level of focus and willingness to work along with your wants that will determine the outcome in the end. Again, this is why prayer isn't going to get you a shitload of money or a brand new house or that Ferrari that you want. But, the focused energy and your working along with your own desires might just help YOU to make that come true for YOURSELF.

That's why I get pissed when people credit God or Jehovah with so much. When I was taking classes and working 2 jobs after my ex kicked me out, people said that "Jehovah was providing" and that "I owed so much to Jehovah". Really? Where was he when my ex was kicking me out and taking my children? Where was he when I was homeless? Fuck him! I did it all my damn self! I did the late-night study sessions, the overnight shifts that led into full-day shifts the next day with no sleep, plus meetings and service. I did it. ME! All on my own, with my own energy and my own stamina. I can proudly raise my head high and know that I did it on my own, no invisible sky daddy needed.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

Leaving WT: I always said tha about prayer. A striking similiarity to the placebo effect and that is what I believe prayer is. JW's, in particular seem to throw prayer into EVERYTHING. Think you coundn't POSSIBLY have preached to that man without that Holy Spirit? Think there's NO WAY you would have survived that procedure without God? People seem to think their helpless without it. Of course, some believe stronger than others and it's entirely up to them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit