Prelude to a disfellowshipping

by rory-ks 63 Replies latest jw friends

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

Welcome rory-ks. I look forward to reading your blog.

• jakeyen
    jakeyen

thanks rolly sullivan

as i really have to login just to say it

i appreciate your post, and your sharing of a very good true life experience

i hope someday ill be like you too not fearing being disfellowship

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Welcome Rory. You are starting a journey that many have started. Please finish the journey; if you do you will find happiness beyond anything you coud imagine.

Good luck and god bless.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Hi Rory! Welcome!

• umadevi
    umadevi

Welcome! Going through your blog now.

• rory-ks
    rory-ks

I made myself not return to the forum until 24 hours were up. It was lovely to wake up to so many replies, and one or two personal messages, too. Thanks all of you for your kindness and support.

Honestly, I feel quite sorry for the local body of elders. Of course, we have known each other for years, and worked together, and now they're not sure what to do with me. I'm sure they don't want to put me through the upheaval that comes with disfellowshipping, but at the same time they have all this stuff that is contrary to most everything that the organisation teaches - how can it be anything but apostasy in their eyes? And there is that one article - "Jehovah's Witnesses and the faulty first century blueprint" - that walks the line between a defence of the Witnesses, and an unabashed attack. Damning with faint praise, you might say. One of the elders that spoke to me I have known my whole time in the congregation, twenty years or so - he was genuinely sad. The other one was a newcomer to the congregation, probably paired with him so as to come from a more impersonal angle. The whole conversation was extremely amicable, but I felt very positive, and I confidently defended my position. It is curious, because I might not have been able to do that several months ago - but the extra time has been favourable to me. Having said that, it was a calm inner acceptance of the consequences that allowed me to go public with the website in the first place. I felt like the man who had built his house upon the sand - when that house falls, the collapse is great. For twenty five years I had built a faith upon the sand of another man's words, and I realised that there would be consequences for doing that. I have come to terms with the collapse, and I feel okay about it - even more so now that the rebuilding has begun with aplomb.

I do have family. My wife - born and raised a Witness - is still active in the congregation. She is being stoic, but inside I know she is hurting. Our two girls are still quite young: One is 7 and quite likes having the choice of being able to go to the meetings, or stay. The other is 4, and just likes to go out. I am not overly troubled by their association - they are free to make their own decisions on these matters, and there is still plenty of time. My wife's parents are Witnesses, so they might well follow the protocol of disfellowshipping, but I'm not too sure - they're just as likely to surprise me. She also has two sisters who we don't see too often, who I am quite sure will uphold the disfellowshipping. And, of course I will lose my workmate. He is (as I said) and active Witness, an elder in his local congregation, and he will cease association with much reticence.

That is, of course, if it all goes ahead. I must say, the lengthy silence is disarming. I'm almost inclined to think they are deciding on inaction - but I almost feel that would set a precedent: Now you can say what you want about the Witnesses and remain unpunished, as long as you are not speaking directly to congregation members. I don't think that is a message they want out there. There is a Circuit Overseer's visit in a couple of weeks time - perhaps they are waiting for that. I'll keep you posted.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well done Rory, and I wish you luck in the future, as you know , it will not be easy, but you are a man of principle and conscience, and like many on here, you cannot continue to support that which is not true.

You state that "as long as you are not speaking directly to the members of the congregation " you remain unpunished. In that Sir, you are mistaken. It may have been so thus far in your case, but put something on your blog that is 100% apostate in their view, and they will DF you for it, unless they are a very unusual B.O.E.

I know personally of cases where this has happened. I write this for the benefit of others too, I would not wish them to think that they are "safe",as it could be their wish to blog but not be DF'd, in which case great care and caution is needed.

In the future it is my prayer for you that you may be able to free your wife and children, if not totally from the religion, then at least from the mind control, may they learn to honestly look at what they are told by men and evaluate it for what it is, some of what the WT presents is actually not too bad !

All the best for the future, we are all here to help if you need it, just to chat is good sometimes, and when you have time, your take on some of the discussions will be appreciated.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Welcome rory-ks.

Would the elders inform you,if an announcement was made? Of course,I guess your wife would hear the announcement.

But,I know in some cases they assume some disassociate themselves by their actions,and read off the same announcement,as no longer being one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I'm just wondering if they may decide to do that in your case,assume your blog is your disassociation letter?

But,I wish you the best,and again,welcome to you.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Welcome to the board.

Bangalore

• kazar
    kazar

Welcome to the Board and please stick around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit