Watchtower 1954 = "Jesus had NO Beard and nice short hair?? What?

by Witness 007 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

1954 - 1968 Jesus appeared in all publication pictures as a clean shaven short haired "Witness" man....remember?

Watchtower 1954 p.511 Q.F.R "Why do Watchtower books now show Jesus with short hair and no beard? ....because he is shown that way in representations that are older then the traditional EFFEMINATE looking pictures..."

Having a beard is effeminate?????? Maybe in rural Greece!

Watch 1968 p.286 "BIBLE evidence and a recent review shows that Jesus DID have a beard...." The light getting brighter? Why didn't they check the "bible evidence" in the 1954 article?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

they strive soooooooo hard just to be different. Sometimes it just gets plain stupid

• FrankRaven
    FrankRaven

According to jewish customs in those days, it was forbidden for men to be clean shaven(face) and to cut one's hair short.And even in the bible it tells us that Jesus never broke any jewish law.Anyone say other wise never read history,unless that one is stuck in the Watch Tower writings

• smiddy
    smiddy

I was told that to have a beard was an evidence of rebellion,eg.hippie movement ,anti-establishment ,etc.and so I beleive the illustrations were to enforce that idea and to protect the image of jehovah`s christian ministers. ( and remember they were competing with the mormons who had a clean cut image.)

smiddy

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Having a beard is effeminate?????? Maybe in rural Greece!

Okay, that comment is begging for some Leonidas...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think the real Jesus, if he existed, looked exactly like Leo's dream feller above.

Of course in Art Jesus has been shown in all sorts of ways, a sort of dreamy androgenous guy with a wispy beard in some pictures.

I think the depictions show what kind of Jesus the artist or his patron wanted, sort of "lets make god in our image" and that is exactly what the WT did for those beardless years, they would have shown him in a "Suit and Tie with polished Brogues" look, if they could have got away with that.

They are still doing a similar thing within the restraints they have laid upon themselves, all 1st Century christian men are depicted with neatly trimmed hair and beards, the women with pioneer type haircuts and super long dresses, and they both have a ministry bag if possible.

Laughable.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

My daughter thinks this guy looks like Jesus

• Londo111
    Londo111

In the Cult Mind: Beard=Russell, No Beard=Rutherford.

Therefore, Jesus was depicted in a way that reflected the image of the Cult Leader. The Society might not have even been c onscious of that, but it was probably a mostly Subconscious dynamic.

Not looking like the cult leader=Beard=Rebellion.

• biometrics
    biometrics

At least he wasn't carrying copies of the Watchtower and Awake!

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Amelia,

Maybe he does look like Jesus. I doubt JC ever wore eye liner...

JV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit