The lying upper class??

by darthfader 11 Replies latest social current

• darthfader
    darthfader

Interesting Article:

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/02/shame-on-the-rich.html?ref=hp

The team's findings suggest that privilege promotes dishonesty. For example, upper-class subjects were more likely to cheat. After five apparently random rolls of a computerized die for a chance to win an online gift certificate, three times as many upper-class players reported totals higher than 12—even though, unbeknownst to them, the game was rigged so that 12 was the highest possible score.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Wow... I was hoping to get some interesting insights on this article... I guess everyone agrees with it completely :)

Cheers

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

how else did you think they got there...

• Razziel
    Razziel

I want to know... does privilege promote dishonesty or does dishonesty promote privilege? Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I have read this before. There could be several reasons, but one could be that SOME educated people think that they're smarter than everyone else and that they can cover their tracks with spouses and others.

dc

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

incidently, ignorant people lie plenty too...ei-lying for the 'TRUTH'

• LV101
    LV101

I think this is a huge problem w/all of society -- the lying/conniving and have always had bad situations w/the lower end of the scale who are angry that someone has more. Some think upper class are so busy (are negligent w/their money) they won't notice (shopping orders, construction, maids, on and on). There's always someone w/their hand out wanting something from those that have more.

People are liars ---

• darthfader
    darthfader

Looks like this story keeps on giving and giving...

http://news.yahoo.com/rich-people-unethical-224915381--abc-news.html

At last, an explanation for Wall Street's disgrace, Bernard Madoff 's Ponzi scheme and other high-society crimes and misdemeanors: A new study published in the Proceedings of that National Academy of Sciences found that wealthier people were more apt to behave unethically than those who had less money.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Nice guys finish last.

• james_woods
    james_woods

May I just say that this is one of the most class-prejudicial topics that I have ever seen on JWN.

It takes Obama-style class warfare to an entirely new level - people who are successful are automatically dishonest by this theory.

Baloney.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit