Beliefs Tied to Geography

by OnTheWayOut 87 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Ziddina, you chose to focus upon what you think is silly about my beliefs, but you ignored what I said about your facts not applying to me. How does this fit into your perspective about believers?

It takes greater courage to realize that one is actually going to die, than to say that one is going to be momentarily inconvenienced while one's "self" - be it soul or consciousness - transmutes or transforms into another form of life...

This is opinion, right? Because one could also make the statement that it takes greater courage to realize that one is going to answer for all that he/she has done in life, rather than simply breathe your last and be done with it all.

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

FHN - You sound like you had an amazing upbringing!

Peace,

tammy

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

you nor anyone else can absololutely prove there is no god.It's a little sad that you can't just admit this. You can theorize that there is no god. You cannot prove it. ... You cannot prove you are right.

One thing I have faith in - each time I come back to JWN - there will be a heated thread going on about the existence of supernatural powers. And another thing I have faith in - someone will use the same old argument about not being able to prove the negative ...

The only reply to that is this:

• tec
    tec

JNFB - I think you missed the place where Zid said that she could disprove God. The statement you quoted was in response to that.

Peace,

Tammy

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

No I saw it - doesn't matter though- that's the typical cop-out of these discussions.

The geography point of the OP is pretty much irrefutable. Add that to the fact that people believe simply because they want to believe. They want to believe that the ideas and belief systems that permeated their cultural background and environment and ultimately stuck deep down inside them as an emotional attachment, are true.

Whereas many non-believers also really want to believe, but refuse to rationalize away the utter lack of testable evidence to back up such beliefs. They want to believe, but they're unable to let emotional attachments blind them to ancient myths and their unverifiable accounts (as nice as feel-good as some may sound) in old copies of copies of books that have been completely debunked.

Some often want to believe so bad that they believe they hear voices which have scientifically been proven as mere chemical imbalances or simply imagined (http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/cme/content/article/10168/1534546). Clinical studies and diagnoses are then dismissed as not applicable to them.

But the ones that just admit - "I want to believe - because it feels good or right or helps me emotionally stay connected to my surrounding environment I grew up around" I absolutely respect such ones. I truly understand.

However when believers say they know their god(s) is absolutley 100% true and alive in a spirit world - without providing any verifiable facts, its hard to respect that. Moreover - it will never convince those wanting to believe but can't. It actually reeks of desperation, and observers are left with the conclusion that the only ones such persons are trying to convince are themselves.

Nonetheless, I'm glad there are a multitude of believers in all kinds of non-existent intelligent life. I wouldn't want it any other way, it makes life super interesting, especially with the ladies. I read that church is one of the best places to meet girls. Its said that women love that stuff. Astrology, Jesus, Karma, movies like Ghost - and of course all those Paranormal flicks... I'm all for them. Screw rationality - scary demons make chicks want to snuggle, and more. So in real life I don't knock it. I embrace it all. And let me tell you ... it's been enlightening.

So my new motto, as illogical as I may actually find belief in the supernatural - I say to others, especially the women:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUYuIVbFg0

or even better - Journey, Supernatural beliefs, and Glee - chick crack X 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_DaoA_mheM&feature=related

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am sorry y'all. Once my thread turned into the impossibility of proving the nonexistance of God, I just didn't want to stick with it.

The point wasn't that all religions are wrong. I might think that, but the point was that your set of beliefs is hugely based on where you are born.

That doesn't mean that atheism is correct. Many people were born into the atheist Soviet Union too. I could imagine some of our most devoted Christians being born in China or Iraq preaching their undying faith in Buddism or Islam.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "You seem to think of yourself as a superior intellect. ...
    My mother and her dad exposed all of us kids to Hinduism and Buddhism from the time were tiny.
    My dad's maternal grandfather was full blooded native American. Dad embraced that kind of spirituality. Belief in an intelligent, higher power wasn't something shoved down our throats, not even in the Episcopal Church.
    Our home was big on science. We had a series of books on evolution, the universe, the human body, the earth and more.
    Dad's career was in oceanograpy. He was a big evolutionist. [Zid: But, oddly enough....] Neither of my parents were atheists. ..." FHN

Ah - huh...

For someone that you perceive as thinking that I have a "superior intellect", I have never bragged - or claimed - that: I was exposed to any other religions in my early childhood; embraced any form of "Native American" spirituality - which, incidentally, picked up that concept of a "single, supreme being" ONLY after conquest by white Christians - odd coincidence, that; had books on evolution/astronomy/human biology/geology prominent in my parents' house - and if your home DID have those books, then WHAT on earth happened to YOU??

Nor do I brag - or claim - that my father was involved in "oceanography"; nor an "evolutionist" who somehow WASN'T an "atheist"...

Have you ever looked up ANY of those books I've recommended? Read any of those sites I've linked - especially the ones discussing the great age of goddess worship......???

Your posts NEVER provide hard evidence - just YOUR OPINION and sometimes skewed ideas of what science is - see your post #21025 on page #2 of this thread, where you obviously could not distinguish between factual scientific information - data - and the conclusions drawn by scientists FROM such data - hypotheses....

"...I also recognize that not all scientific "data" is fact. Enough of it is hypothesis..." FHN

And quick - without looking it up - what are the most significant teachings of Buddhism? PRIOR to 100 B.C.??? What are the MOST significant teachings of Hinduiism???

Can you answer that, without having to look it up???

Being acquainted with "yoga" is common in the U.S., especially since the 1960's. Being acquainted with the teachings BEHIND yoga, is something else entirely.

You constantly fail - or refuse - to realize that your idea of "deity" has been shaped by Christianity and the bible, despite any apparent early exposure to "yoga" and "Hinduiism" - and apparently you've never actually researched the EARLIEST beliefs of your own Native American ancestors, prior to the arrival of Christianity...

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...but you ignored what I said about your facts not applying to me. ..." tec, post #8089, page #4

First of all, generally speaking, "facts" apply to everyone.

"as in proving there is no God of Christ/and earlier, Israel. ..." tec, post #8057, page 2

"Jesus" has never shown up in any SECULAR accounts contemporary with the time period in which he supposedly "lived". Many of the events that supposedly "happened" in that time period, like Herod "killing" all the baby boys within a province or area of Judea, ALSO never happened...

Which pretty much eliminates "him" as a real person, from the historical record. Don't bother yammering about Napoleon; he affected enough people and was written about by enough sources that he's pretty much established as an actual, historical person.

As to that "god" of Israel, as I said to that Jehovah's Witness woman who came to my door, wouldn't you agree that the OLDEST deity is most likely to be the TRUE DEITY???

And that totally cuts out ALL of the Bronze-Age Middle-Eastern deities, as well as all of the Greco-Roman deities and a great many more...

That which is oldest obviously came first, and yet you cannot - or refuse to - see that.

To which I would add another line to the OP of this thread - not to derail the thread too much... [Sorry about that, On The Way Out... ]

Not only are one's beliefs tied in to the location where one was born, but also firmly tied to the TIME PERIOD in which one was born.

As in... If Flying High Now and Tammy were both born in the area currently called "Israel", TWO HUNDRED THIRTY THOUSAND YEARS AGO, they would be worshipping this, instead of the bible god [who wouldn't come along for nearly 229,000 years...]

The "Berekhat Ram" female figurine.....

• ziddina
    ziddina

Just 'N From Bethel - I just got around to reading your post....

Brilliant!!! r

• tec
    tec

First of all, generally speaking, "facts" apply to everyone.

I know. And that is why your 'facts' aren't actually facts, Zid. Because they do not apply to me. And if not to me, then others as well.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit