Baptism

by new one 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new one
    new one

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask a question as regards Jw baptism. I already know that just before the actual baptism the soon to be Jw has to answer 2 questions, but what I'd like to know is this: During the actual baptism do the Jw's stick to Matt 28:19 "baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd also like to know if it would be possible to speak privatly with one of the more experianced members. I've recently being having discussions with my old study conductor and there's a few things I need some help with, I can't put to much about that on here just incase.

Chris.

• Sulla
    Sulla

They do not. This is the reason why many Christian churches do not recognise a JW baptism as a valid Christian baptism.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Welcome, new one. Here's a thread that might answer your question: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/medical/190981/1/Validity-of-JW-Baptism

If you use the search function, you can find just about anything. Cheers.

• Scully
    Scully

Watchtower changes Baptism Questions

"At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ's example.

The first question is: On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is: Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism."

Watchtower 1985 June 1 p.30

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

What a great question. I also asked the same thing to a sister in my congregation before I was disfellowship. I told her that I felt my baptism was invalid because it wasnt done in the manner that Jesus said. She told me that it was totaly correct, but I dont see how because it was done differently from what Jesus said.

Timmy x

• Ding
    Ding

Several decades ago, you might hear a JW say, "I wasn't baptized into an organization."

Not any more.

Now they are.

As Ray Franz came to see, the organization supplants Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

IMO, by claiming to be "God's sole channel of communication on earth" they supplant the Father as well.

• new one
    new one

So at the moment their dunked the baptizer says 'I baptise you in the name of the father, son and Gods spirit directed oranisation?

Thanks for the replys so far : )

• new one
    new one

If it's true that Jw's dont get baptised as instructed by Jesus, then thats the end of my duscussions with my old study conductor. I know in the gander scheme of things it might sound trivial, but it's really been bugging me.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/baptism.php

There's MANY other things that will bother you through some research. :)

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

NOTHING is said AT THE TIME you are dunked. Trust me. I was 16 when I was baptized. I remember it well. I listened intently to hear if anything was said when others were dunked and .....nope. Nothing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit