Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine endorses Rick Santorum

by mindseye 8 Replies latest jw friends

• mindseye
    mindseye

Don't know if this bit of pop culture made it's way around jw.net yet, but Dave Mustaine of Megadeth has been in the news. Mustaine was brought up as a Witness, but seems to have left pretty young. He's now a born-again Christian, and has made all kinds of off-color comments throughout the years about everything from Mexican immigrants to homosexuality. The latest is that he's tacitly endorsing Rick Santorum:

Dave Mustaine confirms Idiocy Twice in One Week

An interesting quote from Mustaine from the article: "It's pretty clear that they're taking prayer out of school ... I collect books and I have some really, really old schoolbooks, and God is mentioned on every single page. They're taking God out of the schools to dumb us down."

Also found this article about Megadeth bassist David Ellefeson who went to Seminary and discussed theology with Mustaine:

MEGADETH Bassist: DAVE MUSTAINE And I Study Scripture Together

A quote: "Dave and I never dispute scripture but rather we study it together," Ellefson said. "Dave is actually very well versed and read on scripture, especially the Old Testament."

Some other gems from Dave Mustaine:

In response to the British government's criticism of homosexuality, Mustaine said: "More power to them. It says in the Bible that men should not lay with men like they lay with women. I mean I don't wanna f--k up and not go to heaven."

An answer to a question about fellow rockers Judas Priest having an overt homosexual image, "I don't wanna talk about this. The last thing I need is a bunch of homos picketing us."

Usually people follow their intellect when they leave the Witnesses. Looks like Mustaine actually traded down.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Nearly as disgusting as when the frontman of Steppenwulf went all born again on us...

• designs
    designs

We are at least 100 years from seeing the final nail in the coffin of Religion in America, our great grandchildren will still be dealing with these superstitious people.

• james_woods
    james_woods

We are further away than 100 years from that, designs. I do not think that religion will ever be eliminated from society - and not just American society either - society in general.

It is simply delusional to think that society can totally rid itself of what seems to be a built-in prediliction for this superstition. Look at the attempts in the Soviet Union and Communist China - it simply did not work.

Perhaps a better goal would be to hope for religious tolerance (that is, tolerance for others within each religion itself) than for total elimination of religion.

The JWs would be a fertile ground to start with that (they need it badly) - or, maybe not...(they being one of the most intolerant religions on earth)

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

In a strange sort of way, I hope this helps Santorum get the nomination.

• james_woods
    james_woods

In a strange sort of way, I hope this helps Santorum get the nomination.

I understand completely.

I still support Newt Gingrich, but that looks like a lost cause now.

I still think the powers that be have it loaded up in favor of Romney.

I in turn hope this makes the majority of Republicans realize that Mormonism may not be any weirder than the Santorum take on Catholicism.

• undercover
    undercover

I in turn hope this makes the majority of Republicans realize that Mormonism may not be any weirder than the Santorum take on Catholicicsm.

You can hope... but don't hold your breath.

Middle America conservatives ain't ready for a Mormon president. It's just too culty...

Santorum alone is wacked with his religious mumbo-jumbo, but ultra right-wingers eat that shit up...

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I liked him better when he was getting kicked out of Metallica for too much drug use.

• xchange
    xchange

"...They're taking God out of the schools to dumb us down."

I think he meant to say "...to smarten us up."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit