Scriptural Grounds for divorce.....

by stuckinamovement 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

I was watching a dumb show with my dear wife. In the program a wife tried unsuccessfully to kill her husband. I remarked to my wife "if you ever did that I would divorce you!" She responded with a laugh "fine, too bad you wouldn't have scriptural grounds!"

You know she's right! How crazy is that? This religion is really a piece of work.

Siam

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Oh fornication trumps murder on the naughty scale.

NC

• yknot
    yknot

err.....

There are not 'scriptural grounds for divorce' (you can get divorced for less than adultery) and since a spouse can choose to forgive adultery it ain't hard and fast.......

There are only scriptural grounds for remarriage......

Chap 4, section 20 from the 'shepherding' says:

20. If a Christian contemplating separation,
    the elders can point out what the Scriptures say.
    (1 Cor. 7:10, 11) They can explain there a few
    exceptional situations that some have viewed as a basis
    for separation. (Iv pp. 219-221; w8811/1 pp. 22-25)
    If the Christian is considering obtaining a divorce,
    the elders should explain that divorce does not free
    him to remarry unless adultery occurs. (Matt. 19:9) In
    addition, the extreme step of divorce may make it
    more difficult to reconcile. Elders should not encourage separation
    or divorce; neither should they forbid
    it. Separation and divorce are personal matters, and
    each Christian will to accept the consequences
    for his decision. (Gal. 6:7) However, the elders may
    determine that a publisher's decisions in this area
    disqualify him or her from receiving special privileges
    normally given to those viewed as exemplary.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Thank you for the correction ynot. You are right. The problem is that many will view divorce and remarriage through the same prism.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The human folly of trying to emulate the social moral standards of a civilization that existed 3000 years ago

• finally awake
    finally awake

crazy isn't it? you aren't free to divorce and remarry if your wife tried to kill you, was caught, convicted, and sentenced to 20 years in jail - but you *can* get divorced and be free to remarry if she put her mouth on some other guy's weiner.

• caliber
    caliber

No spiritual law exists that “demands you stay in your loveless marriage.” But what did Jesus Christ say about marriage, divorce, and remarriage?

The Lord said this: “And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality [i.e., fornication], and marries another, commits adultery” (Matt. 19:9, ESV ).

Some understand 1 Corinthians 7:15 as another “exception,” allowing remarriage if an unbelieving spouse divorces a believer. However, the context does not mention remarriage, but only says a believer is not bound to continue a marriage if an unbelieving spouse wants to leave

Agreed with Yknot....

There are only scriptural grounds for remarriage.....
  • NOLAW
    NOLAW

No remarriage allowed in such a case. Divorce only.

• flipper
    flipper

STUCKINAMOVEMENT- It is bizarre isn't it ? Shows you how messed up the JW cult is. Reminds me of a funny joke my wife has told me ; she has told me, " Flipper ! If you die , I'll kill you ! " LOL ! So- I try not to die really hard. We both have morbid senses of humor

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Stuckinamoveent, I was in that situation. My jw husband punched, kicked and strangled me, drove into oncoming traffic and did anything else he could to terrify me. He was forcibly committed to mental institutions twice. Per the elders: I was to either remain in the marriage or stalk the guy who was threatening to kill me until he decided whether to commit adultery or murder. He would have continued to have power over my life as long as I was married to him. And he wasn't the type to be alone. I fied for divorce, made a false confession of adultery, and proceeded to lose most of my possessions, my car, my home and my family.

You're right...this cult really is a piece of work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit