Theo Min School and Public Speaker Training Outdated...

by Confucious 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confucious
    Confucious

I used to think that the Theocratic Ministry School was extremely valuable.

And I think it does have it's value.

But I think public speaking has changed so dramatically the last few years.

Last time I went to the KH... the public speakers were speaking at a very "low" level.

I think part of the thing the current crop of religious speakers (like Joel Osteen, etc... They are so dynamic.

And even speakers like Tony Robbins...

I think the style of speaking for Witness speakers has become old school.

Granted - yes... they have an audience that is "obligated" to listen to them. But they have not evolved at all as public speakers - and probably is getting worse.

Most public speakers aren't glued to an outline...

Just a thought...

• TOTH
    TOTH

In my experience, the WT has always been critical of anyone who puts any real feeling into the way they present their material. I can still remember brothers visiting from other congregations being SCOLDED by the local elders for raising their voices or being too emphatic. But what can one expect from closed minded numb-nutted fools who told us that the Washtowel and Asleep magazines were, "THE NEW SCROLLS" to be used in the new order.

• Confucious
    Confucious

I think I noticed it more the last time I went to the KH.

Actually the OLDER talks - the one in the 70's - where we used to have boot leg cassettes... those were the best.

It was really hard to sit through now.

• yknot
    yknot

Depends on the man.....

Our WT conductor could give lessons to the GB he soo good!......outline, he don't need no stinking outline (ditto for our previous CO).

Our COBOE...... he manages to mangle even a straight outline presentation......he just a nervous nelly. A 14 yr old dubbie bred boy could deliver better then him.

REMINDS ME.......I propose that SD-7 rewrite the outlines for parody!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Where is SD7? His stuff was priceless !

The Theo. Min Sch was not very good at teaching technique, unless you were the kind of person who picked up on things that were not spelled out,

I remember a couple of good speakers over the years, and hundreds of piss poor ones.

The best advice I ever heard given was by a C.O ,who was Scottish, and he was remarking how dull a lot of talks were and said :

"If ye cannae put fire in ya talk, put ya talk in the fire !" (provide your own scottish accent as you read this)

I guess it is very difficult to get enthusiastic over the same old same old, also the outlines are really, as our Scottish C.O would have said "Dour"

• White Dove
    White Dove

As a sister giving a 5 minute talk every 6 months, I learned absolutely nothing except to move my hands around when I spoke.

When I took a college level speech course, I got a 'C', everything being so new to me.

That oxygen deprived red speech book taught nothing compared to the college class.

The class taught me how to write and deliver a speech.

The KH "class" taught me that in that 5 minutes I was up there, I needed to move my hands more.

No comparison.

• designs
    designs

WD- As a former Theo. School Conductor the only counsel I can give is if you wear a tight skirt keep your knees together or else you'll give the Elder and his 12 year old assistant a clear shot to China

• Confucious
    Confucious

Lol... oxygen deprived red book... That was kind of my point White Dove... Anyone that does public speaking in real life - can't really get by on what they teach you at the Theo School. It's really inadequate.

And most of the public speakers today aren't glued to a podium anymore.

• ssn587
    ssn587

Maybe if they had telepromters they would be classified as good speakers too. I learned absolutely nothing by being in the school and dropped out after awhile. I got tired of hearing really lousy talks and then the student being told they did a good job (say wha???). In smaller congs. you see the same people over and over again, some of them never seem to learn anything, and the others are just as bored with the talks as we are/were listening to them.

• White Dove
    White Dove

My skirts were theocratic skirts: T-length and floral!

I was righteous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit