What is latest WT quote on donating blood ?

by Phizzy 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I no longer have access to WT lit or CD, as I burned all my bound volumes one day in disgust, and don't have a CD.

So could someone kindly post the latest on donating of blood, not simply that it is forbidden, but the latest where they say why they hold this position.

If I remember rightly, it was based entirely on the O.T injunction about "pouring out" the blood of a slain animal, but I need to be sure before I question JW's on this.

Many thanks in advance, if you are able to help.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

It all depends on who ou are,what station you hold and who is watching..Knock yerself out,do what is best for YOU...

• finally awake
    finally awake

*** w05 3/15 p. 18 par. 8 “You Were Bought With a Price” ***

8 Consider the example of Elena, a young Christian in Spain. She had several classmates who were blood donors. They knew that Elena, one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, would not donate blood or accept blood transfusions. When an opportunity arose to explain her position to the whole class, Elena volunteered to give a presentation. “Frankly, I felt very nervous about doing this,” Elena explains. “But I prepared well, and the results were surprising. I won the respect of many of my fellow students, and the teacher told me that he admired the work I was doing. Above all, I felt satisfied that I had defended the name of Jehovah and had been able to explain clearly the reasons for my Scriptural stand.” (Genesis 9:3, 4; Acts 15:28, 29) Yes, as slaves of God and of Christ, we stand out as different. However, we may well win people’s respect if we are prepared to defend our beliefs respectfully.—1 Peter 3:15.

*** w00 10/15 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers *** Occasionally, a doctor will urge a patient to deposit his own blood weeks before surgery (preoperative autologous blood donation, or PAD) so that if the need arises, he could transfuse the patient with his own stored blood. However, such collecting, storing, and transfusing of blood directly contradicts what is said in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Blood is not to be stored; it is to be poured out—returned to God, as it were. Granted, the Mosaic Law is not in force now. Nevertheless, Jehovah’s Witnesses respect the principles God included in it, and they are determined to ‘abstain from blood.’ Hence, we do not donate blood, nor do we store for transfusion our blood that should be ‘poured out.’ That practice conflicts with God’s law. *** km 11/06 p. 4 How Do I View Blood Fractions and Medical Procedures Involving My Own Blood? *** Why are some procedures involving the medical use of my own blood a personal decision? Although Christians do not donate or store their own blood for transfusion purposes, some procedures or tests involving an individual’s blood are not so clearly in conflict with Bible principles. Therefore, each individual should make a conscientious decision as to whether to accept or to reject some types of medical procedures involving the use of his or her own blood. These were the most recent mentions I could find, although none actually spell out *why* it's supposedly wrong.
  • ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

finally awake said,

These were the most recent mentions I could find, although none actually spell out *why* it's supposedly wrong.

Perhaps your second reference did touch on the reason why; Questions From Readers, w00 10/15 pp. 30-31, said...

"...such collecting, storing, and transfusing of blood directly contradicts what is said in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Blood is not to be stored; it is to be poured out—returned to God, as it were."

I think this is what Phizzy suspected would be the reason.

But, to go from draining blood from a killed animal in the field prior to eating it, to making it a medical injunction that says blood should never be stored for any reason, as the Watchtower does, is a huge leap. It is just plain wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit