Are trustees also elders?

by JW-g/f 8 Replies latest jw friends

• JW-g/f
    JW-g/f

Hello,

I am new to this board. I have never really been in touch with JW until just recently and have a question:

UK congregations: Are the trustees at the same time elders and can a trustee or elder be inactive?

I just found out by co-incidence that someone close is a JW trustee. When I confronted him he said his family are JWs but he is not an active member. Is that possible when being a trustee?

Thanks for your help.

Leeza

• AnonJW
    AnonJW

I beileve that you do have to be an elder to be a trustee, although not all elders are. For instance, if an elder was made bankrupt in business that would disqualify him. There are other reasons why an elder could refuse to be on the board of trustees.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Though many years ago, I was a trustee whilst " only" being a MS ( accounts servant).

When I was DFd I was obviously deleted as being a trustee, though I was never notified of that action being taken.

Maybe your friend was a trustee, but is no longer, without his having been informed.

• St George of England
    St George of England

These days in the U.K. one has to be an elder to be a trustee.

If an elder loses that position he will be removed as trustee, though I personally know of a few cases were it has taken several years for that action to be implemented.

George

• JW-g/f
    JW-g/f

Thank you all!

Well, I still find it confusing that he did not tell me and does not want to talk about it but reading in this board helps me to understand the situation a bit better.

• blondie
    blondie

Not just any elder, if a KH is shared by 2 or more congregations, the trustees must be elders from the congregation that holds the territory the building is on. Some congregations are not diligent about keeping the trustees up to date. In some congregations, the trustees were dead, df'd, moved away, or were in the other congregation (s) that did not hold the territory. In the US it is important to keep this information up to date to retain the non profit status. In this area, the local government sends a form around to up date the information. Many COs check to make sure it is.

• mikes
  • just Ron
    just Ron

In our former hall, one of the elders who was also a trustee got deleted from being an elder. Later on, he was also deleted as a trustee and a different elder was appointed to take his place. He's not disfellowshipped as far as I know, but he doesn't attend meetings anymore. So at least in the US at the present time, a trustee must be an elder and probably also is required to be active.

• JW-g/f
    JW-g/f

Thank you all. I know he is still friends with many JWs who are not only family so I assume he has not been disfellowshipped. He probably simply does not want to admit to the truth.

The funny thing is that from his behaviour and attitudes I would never have expected him to be a religious person. But then again after I have read here I know that being a JW or even an elder does not necessarily mean to be a good person.

Have a nice weekend everyone :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit