untitled

by The Searcher 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The evening before Jesus died, he instigated two distinct and separate covenants; firstly, a new covenant which replaced the Mosaic Law covenant and was to be celebrated with wine and unleavened bread. Secondly, a covenant for a heavenly priesthood who would administer kingdom benefits to the earth. A covenant is a legally binding agreement between at least two parties, and nobody can be a beneficiary of a covenant unless they are signatories and party to it. Who were the parties to the new covenant, and what were its terms and conditions? To establish the truth about the new covenant, it is necessary to examine the details of the old one. By doing so we will clearly see the Scriptural parallels, and crucially, also come to an accurate knowledge of how each and every one of us is viewed by Jehovah and Christ Jesus. Having descended Mount Sinai with the Ten Commandments in stone, and God's laws in his heart and mind, Moses proceeded to mediate the Law covenant Jehovah was offering to the vast nation of people before him. The Bible account informs us at Exodus 24:3,"Then Moses came and related to the people all the words of Jehovah and all the judicial decisions, and all the people answered with one voice and said: "All the words that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do." "All the people" accepted the covenant; there were no divisions made between 'natural' Israelites and the vast mixed crowd who came out of Egypt in the Exodus. Exodus 12:48,49 clearly tells us; "And in case an alien resident resides as an alien with you and he will actually celebrate the passover to Jehovah, let there be a circumcising of every male of his. First then he may come near to celebrate it; and he must become like a native of the land. But no uncircumcised man may eat of it. One law is to exist for the native and for the alien resident who is residing as an alien in YOUR midst." (Read also Acts 10:34)

Those not born Israelites were accepted by Jehovah as part of His holy nation, based on their faith in, and acceptance of, the covenant arrangement.Nowhere in the Hebrew Scriptures is there even an inference that non-Isaelites were excluded from any aspect of the Law Covenant. The opposite is true! Any doubts about this Bible truth are obliterated when reading the accounts of Rahab and Ruth. Both of these women were from pagan nations, and yet Jehovah saw fit to not only give them both husbands from amongst His chosen people, but incredibly, to use them to help produce the Christ. When Moses received the unanimous acceptance by everyone present, he then proceeded to validate the covenant by means of a blood sacrifice for everyone. (Exodus 24:8) Having concluded the Law Covenant with everyone present, Jehovah now instructed Moses that He had chosen a certain small group from the assembled multitude for a special purpose. That small group was the Levites, and they would act as priests for the whole nation and take the lead in pure worship. (Exodus 40) The priesthood covenant was not ratified by a blood sacrifice. By being participants of the Law covenant, each individual was able to worship Jehovah on His terms and also gain forgiveness of sins from year to year, by their acceptable sacrifices. When Jesus replaced the Law Covenant with the New Covenant, he plainly explained to all 12 of his apostles, Judas included* , that they were to drink the wine because "this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins". (Matthew 26:28) He said that his "blood of the covenant" was to be poured out in behalf of many, not just 144,000. Judas partook of the emblems of the New Covenant, Jesus dismissed him, and only then concluded a separate covenant, one for a kingdom . (Luke 22:17-30) Like Moses, Jesus did not use any emblems or ritual to inaugurate the priesthood covenant. Participants of the new covenant, through Jesus' sacrifice, have their sins forgiven permanently by Jehovah and have the hope of everlasting life, either on the earth or in heaven as priests. (Heb. 10:12) Having an understanding of the covenants helps to make crystal clear the simplicity of Jesus' words at Luke 22:30 and John's words at Revelation 7:4 concerning those taken out of Israel to judge those who are left. * Luke's spirit - inspiredclaims that he "traced all things from the start with accuracy , to write them in logical order", are simultaneously agreed with and refuted by sip.187par.1 and it-2p.130. (1 John 4:1 )

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

The evening before Jesus died, he instigated two distinct and separate covenants; firstly, a new covenant which replaced the Mosaic Law covenant and was to be celebrated with wine and unleavened bread. Secondly, a covenant for a heavenly priesthood who would administer kingdom benefits to the earth.

You could only have reached such a conclusion by reading the New World Bogus MisTranslation. As if all Bibles weren't bogus to begin with.

After that false premise, there wasn't much point in reading any further.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

And by the way, the idea of an elite special group to lord it over the rest is the basis of every evil that has ever transpired in this god-forsaken world. Such an ideology needs to be and will indeed be eradicated from human consciousness. It is completely contrary to the truth:

The Law of One.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I quit reading when I finished your first sentence.

If I want BS I'll go back to the JW cult.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

If there's something Scripturally wrong, I'm prepared to examine the evidence if you will provide it; if you can offer anything apart from vitriolic responses based on personal experiences, I'll discuss it. Some people are bitter here rather than constructive. If someone's got a better understanding of Bible truth then share it with us all.

• irondork
    irondork

I don't take issue with anything you have posted, even though my understanding may be a little different. I would just caution you on the use of the words "bible truth" when stating your opinion.

I have what I believe to be bible truths that I hold to and am ready to share them with anyone who wants to listen. However, one of the most important lessons I learned since my exit from the WTS is that NO ONE can rightfully lay claim to possessing absolute bible truth or should present his or her opinion on the scriptures as if with authority on the subject. The last person on earth who was qualified to do that died about 2000 years ago. Everyone since is just doing the best they can with limited resources.

In the meantime, it is my opinion that we should preface our scriptural conclusions with something like, "it is my opinion."

• irondork
    irondork

The roomie and I were talking about this subject just the other day.

I think the bible is clear that there will be those "bought from the earth" who will serve in the capacity of kings and priests. Wether the number 144,000 is literal or figurative, I don't know and for myself, that part is not important. That and arrangement has been made for this select group of priests is hardly a new concept, given the Levites role in ancient Israel. Personally, I kind of like the idea that God would set up a government system that includes representatives (of sorts) from earth.

The only thing I am very suspicious of regarding this whole subject is with those who would walk around claiming to be part of this group - especially if they presumed to already have some elevated status right now, on earth.

1 Corinthians 4:8 - YOU men already have YOUR fill, do YOU? YOU are rich already, are YOU? YOU have begun ruling as kings without us, have YOU?

To state membership in this group is an extraordinary claim that demands extraordinary evidence. Since the apostles died off there has been no shortage of men and women from every corner of the world laying claim to being one of these chosen ones. Until I see them glow or walk on water or turn water into Samuel Adams... I ain't buying it.

• finally awake
    finally awake

Are you suggesting that everyone should partake of the emblems?

• irondork
    irondork

If that question was directed at me, I think the answer is yes. Where we go after the resurrection has nothing to do how we commemorate the Lord's evening meal.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

@ finallyawake I feel the same as irondork - everyone who exercises faith in Christ's ransom MUST partake of the memorial emblems. It was one flock of indistinguishable sheep. I have attached below my Scriptural reasons for coming to that important conclusion. I decided to present it in the format of a study article which me and my wife could do together. If you have ANY constructive criticisms on any of the points made, please feel free to clarify them.

Jehovah's Nation

"Abraham is surely going to become a nation great and mighty, and all the nations of the earth must bless themselves by means of him." - Gen. 18:18

1 T he promise which Jehovah made to Abraham was very profound, yet simple to understand and to the point. The 'seed' spoken of in Genesis 3:15 which would undo Satan's works, would come through Abraham's lineage. That 'seed' was Jesus alone. (Read Galatians 3:16; 1 John 3:8)

But Jehovah, who never exaggerates, also made this vow to His friend, "And I will constitute your seed like the dust particles of the earth, so that, if a man could be able to count the dust particles of the earth, then your seed could be numbered". (Gen.13:16) Much later, Jehovah repeated His promise, this time using two further examples to stress to Abraham just how many his seed would be. "I shall surely bless you and I shall surely multiply your seed like the stars of the heavens and like the grains of sand that are on the seashore.’" (Gen. 22:17) By using these three terms, 'dust particles of the earth', 'stars of the heavens', and 'grains of sand on the seashore', and by saying, "if........then your seed could be numbered", it becomes very clear that Jehovah was not referring to a fixed number.

Jehovah's Nation Appears

A previous reasoning explained in the Watchtower said, "Abraham was told that his seed would multiply and become "like the stars of the heavens" and the grains of sand on the seashore. (Gen. 13:16; 22:17) In other words, in Abraham’s time it was impossible for humans to know how many would make up this seed. However, the exact number of his spiritual seed was eventually revealed. In addition to Jesus, it was to number 144,000". (w081/15p.21par.6) A clearerunderstanding of the Scriptures makes it clear that this line of thinking was not in harmony with God's purposes. This article will closely examine and explain who Jehovah's nation really is.

The following statement from the Watchtower 15th March 2009, page 22 paragraph 10, is a Scriptural fact; "In the initial outworking of those promises, Abraham’s seed became the nation of Israel". That nation was taken into a covenant relationship with Jehovah at Mount Sinai. If we are to have a clear and true understanding of Jehovah's will and purposes, it is of supreme importance for each and every one of us, that we know exactly who made up that nation.

5 The Watchtower 982/1p.19par.6 conflicts with what the Scriptures show was God's will for those who wished to serve Him; "Further, other sheep lay hold of the new covenant just as foreigners of old laid hold of the Law covenant. In what way? Not by becoming participants in it, but by submitting to the laws associated with it and benefiting from its arrangements". The Law Covenant which Jehovah concluded with the nation of Israel is spoken of in Exodus 19. In verse 8 it says, "After that all the people answered unanimously and said: "All that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do." Notice, that all the people agreed; none were excluded. In Exodus 24:3, this is what occurred; "Then Moses came and related to the people all the words of Jehovah and all the judicial decisions, and allthe people answered with one voice and said: "All the words that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do." Again, 'all' the people answered with 'one' voice". No exemptions, and no divisions were made. When Moses received the unanimous acceptance by everyone present, he then proceeded to validate the covenant by means of a blood sacrifice.(Exodus 24:8; Read Ezekiel 47:21-23)

6 All participants would be willing subjects to all of the terms and conditions, as well as the benefits. It can be seen from the previous verses that non-Israelites were included in the Law Covenant. Nowhere in the Hebrew Scriptures is there even an inference that non-Isaelites were excluded from any aspect of the Law Covenant. It used to be explained that exclusion from the kingship and the priesthood were proofs that 'alien residents' were not included in the Law Covenant. A clearer appraisal of God's word show us that this also was incorrect reasoning. The priesthood was limited to members of the tribe of Levi - no one in any of the other 12 tribes could become priests; as for the kingship, two non-Israelite women had part in producing the 'seed'. Having concluded the Law Covenant with everyone present, Jehovah now instructed Mosesthat He had chosen a certain small group from the assembled multitudes for a special purpose. That small group was the Levites, and they would act as priests for the whole nation and take the lead in pure worship. (Exodus 40)

1, 2. (a)

3, 4.

5, 6.

7 Jehovah confirmed and demonstrated His total acceptance of alien residents by granting two non-Israelites the wonderful privilege of being part of the Messianic lineage - Rahab who was a Canaanitesss, and Ruth who was a Moabitess. Note what one article had to say about 'aliens' who wanted to serve Jehovah: "Shortly before Israel marched into Canaan, Moses said: "Be glad, you nations, with his people." (Deuteronomy 32:43) Many foreigners responded. "A vast mixed company" had already followed Israel out of Egypt, witnessed Jehovah’s power in the wilderness, and heard Moses’ invitation to rejoice." (Exodus 12:37, 38)

8 Later, the Moabitess Ruth became an ancestress of the Messiah. (Ruth 4:13-22) The Kenite Jehonadab and his descendants and the Ethiopian Ebed-melech distinguished themselves by adherence to right principles when many natural Israelites were unfaithful. (2 Kings 10:15-17; Jeremiah 35:1-19; 38:7-13) Under the Persian Empire, many foreigners became proselytes and fought with Israel against her enemies".—Esther 8:17, footnote. (w98 2/1 p. 12 par. 16 Jehovah Is a God of Covenants)

Acceptable to Jehovah9 As the apostle Peter stated, "God is not partial, but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him". (Acts 10:34,35) Simply put, anyone could become part of God's chosen nation and party to His covenant, along with the rest of His people - the Scriptures prove it beyond all reasonable doubt! Having established the Bible truth that alien residents were included in the Law Covenant, and not just 'beneficiaries', it becomes obvious (as is overwhelm - ingly proven by Rahab & Ruth) that such ones were counted as part of Abraham's seed, welcomed by Jehovah. __________ 7-9. What Bible evidence proves Jehovah's conditional acceptance of anyone to become part of Abraham's seed?

10 Jeremiah 31:31-34 says, "Look! There are days coming," is the utterance of Jehovah, "and I will conclude with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant; "For this is the covenant that I shall conclude with the house of Israel after those days," is the utterance of Jehovah. "I will put my law within them, and in their heart I shall write it. And I will become their God, and they themselves will become my people." "And they will no more teach each one his companion and each one his brother, saying, ‘KNOW Jehovah!’ for they will all of them know me, from the least one of them even to the greatest one of them," is the utterance of Jehovah. "For I shall forgive their error, and their sin I shall remember no more."

A New Nation

12,13. (a)

On the contrary, on several occasions where 'holy ones' are mentioned, it becomes clear that two distinct groups are being addressed - those who have a heavenly hope, and those who do not. (Read Matthew 25:34-40; Romans 1:7, 12:13; 1 Corinthians 1:2; 2 Corinthians 16:15; Read 2 Corinthians 8:1-4; Revelation 11:18) The selection of the priesthood began at Pentecost 33 C.E. and if it is Jehovah's will, could continue up until the start of the Great Tribulation. (Read Matthew 20:1-15)

See Insight on the Scriptures, page 130 - subheading, Last Night With Jesus.

Who are; 1) Abraham's seed? 2) The 'other sheep'? 3) The Israel of God?

Firstly, the New Covenant, which was offered to anyone, ("this means my ‘blood of the covenant, which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins". Matt. 26:28) and secondly, the 'covenant for a kingdom'. This was the selection of the heavenly priesthood, the 144,000. The 144,000 are taken out of the 'Israel of God', thereby leaving the rest of that 'nation' here on earth. (Read Revelation 7:4) Jesus confirmed this Bible truth by saying that the 144,000 would "sit on thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel." (Luke 22:30) These two covenants were not one and the same, just as the Sinaitic covenants were not. The accuracy and chronological order of Luke's spirit-inspired account of the Lord's evening meal is assured for us when we read the first four verses of his book. (Read Luke 1-4) Regrettably, Luke's version of events at the Lord's evening meal has been disparaged as inaccurate,
    Return to Mount Sinai: when Israel stood congregated in the wilderness, Jehovah inaugurated two covenants that day. First, the Law Covenant, which involved everyone there, and was validated by blood. (Ex. 24:8) Then, as mentioned earlier, Jehovah personally chose a section of the nation to act as a priesthood, to intercede on behalf of the nation. (Ex. 28:1)Similarly, Jesus instigated two covenants on the evening before his death.
    Who would replace the Jewish nation as God's chosen people?
    This 'new flock' would replace the Jewish nation as God's chosen people, as Jesus had stated when he said, "The kingdom of God will be taken from YOU and be given to a nation producing its fruits". (Matt. 21:43) This 'nation' would consist of those 'lost sheep of the house of Israel' and those whom Paul described as being 'grafted on'. (Read Romans 11:17) That 'nation' or 'one flock', was described by Paul as 'the Israel of God', and out of that nation, a priesthood or 'little flock' would be selected by Jehovah. (Gal. 6:16) There are no Scriptures to indicate that all first century Christians were compulsorily drafted in to the 144,000 priesthood. __________To whom would the New Covenant be offered first? (b) Who are the 'other sheep'?
    In fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy, the Old Covenant would be kept in force for the Jews for three and a half years after Jesus' death, and the New Covenant offered solely to them for 42 months. (Dan. 9:25-27) Then the 'other sheep' who were not of the Jewish "fold", would be brought in, thus becoming 'one flock'. The apostle Paul recognised this principle also; "For I am not ashamed of the good news; it is, in fact, God’s power for salvation to everyone having faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek" (Rom. 1:16) These 'other sheep' would not be different in any way - they would be indistinguishable by being part of the same flock with the same shepherd.
    Not only was the Law Covenant replaced with a "better covenant", (Read Hebrews 8:6) but crucially, the New Covenant was not restricted to Jews alone. It was extended to all the Gentile nations, as promised by Jehovah to Abraham when He said three times that "by means of your seed all nations of the earth will certainly bless themselves". Jesus highlighted this fact when he said, "And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those also I must bring, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd". Previously, when instructing his disciples to go and preach, he specifically told them "Do not go off into the road of the nations, and do not enter into a Sa·mar´i·tan city; but, instead, go continually to the lost sheep of the house of Israel". A short time later he said, "I was not sent forth to any but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." (Matt. 10:6; 15:24)
    So according to the Scriptures, the New Covenant is better because the law of the New Coven - ant would be written on hearts, not on stone or paper. Also, those who are involved in the New Covenant would enjoy a special relationship with God and have a personal knowledge of Jehovah, and their sins would be forgiven. These verses are unique, because they alone highlight the spiritual condition of the participants of the New Covenant, and show that they become God's people, not immortal spirit creatures! __________ 10,11. How would the New Covenant differ from the Law Covenant?

Who were participants of the Law Covenant? Explain.
    (a) Who were previously thought to be Abraham's spiritual seed? (b) Why is it vital that we know who they really are?
    Who was the 'seed' spoken of at Genesis 3:15? (b) How numerous would Abraham's seed be?

* because he specifically stated that Judas partook of the emblems for the New Covenant. Clearly, Judas was not included in the 'covenant for a kingdom'. Partaking of these emblems does not signify a heavenly hope - the Spirit bears witness to that hope, not bread and wine. The New Covenant alone was validated by means of Jesus' blood, for the sake of many, not just 144,000.

Our clear Scriptural understanding of who make up the 'Israel of God' is essential if we are to draw closer to our heavenly Father and demonstrate our appreciation of Christ's ransom sacrifice. We must recognize that we are no longer on the 'outside looking in', but rather, the opposite. To serve Jehovah and be acceptable to Him, we must be participants of His Covenant which was validated by His son's blood. The whole nation of ancient Israel and the proselytes had to be participants of the Law Covenant in order to offer acceptable worship to Jehovah. That Law was a shadow of the the New Covenant, which likewise was not offered only to the priesthood, but to the whole nation - the 'Israel of God'. We are serving in the courtyards of Jehovah's spiritual temple, in close proximity to His High Priest Christ Jesus. The rest of the under-priests will soon be serving alongside our High Priest and mediator, and then all the nations of the earth will bless themselves by means of Abraham's seed, Christ Jesus. _______________

15, 16.

(a) What werethe parallels between the covenants mediated by Moses and Jesus. (b) What were the differences between the two covenants? Explain. 17. What defines who is part of the 'Israel of God'?

* because he specifically stated that Judas partook of the emblems for the New Covenant. Clearly, Judas was not included in the 'covenant for a kingdom'. Partaking of these emblems does not signify a heavenly hope - the Spirit bears witness to that hope, not bread and wine. The New Covenant alone was validated by means of Jesus' blood, for the sake of many, not just 144,000.

Our clear Scriptural understanding of who make up the 'Israel of God' is essential if we are to draw closer to our heavenly Father and demonstrate our appreciation of Christ's ransom sacrifice. We must recognize that we are no longer on the 'outside looking in', but rather, the opposite. To serve Jehovah and be acceptable to Him, we must be participants of His Covenant which was validated by His son's blood. The whole nation of ancient Israel and the proselytes had to be participants of the Law Covenant in order to offer acceptable worship to Jehovah. That Law was a shadow of the the New Covenant, which likewise was not offered only to the priesthood, but to the whole nation - the 'Israel of God'. We are serving in the courtyards of Jehovah's spiritual temple, in close proximity to His High Priest Christ Jesus. The rest of the under-priests will soon be serving alongside our High Priest and mediator, and then all the nations of the earth will bless themselves by means of Abraham's seed, Christ Jesus. _______________

15, 16.

(a) What werethe parallels between the covenants mediated by Moses and Jesus. (b) What were the differences between the two covenants? Explain. 17. What defines who is part of the 'Israel of God'?

See Insight on the Scriptures, page 130 - subheading, Last Night With Jesus.

Who are; 1) Abraham's seed? 2) The 'other sheep'? 3) The Israel of God?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit