Was anyone basically 'imprisoned' as a teen by JW parents?

by myusername 9 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• myusername
    myusername

So in my mid teens I finally refused to stop all JW activity naively thinking I may be able to live a more normal life. (I was already taken out of school at 14.) After this I wasn't allowed to go outside even a few feet in front of the door by myself. I only went out with an abusive parent if they wanted me to tag along for an errand or something. I was basically imprisoned.

Most of the stories I read on here seem to be people who were shunned or kicked out instead of being kept inside, so I'm just curious.

• myusername
    myusername

P.S. The environment inside had no enrichment either. Books were discouraged in general and heavily censored and there was low availability of food.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

sounds horrible.... so sad (((((((((myusername))))))))) ..

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Sort of but not as extreme as your situation. When I was 16 my parents didn't like me going out with someone so they made me split up with him and restricted my movements and dropped/picked me up at work so they knew where I was at all times.

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

they tried with me, but the more they clamped down the more i fought back until i moved out at 15.

at one point, i was putting sleeping pills in thier drinks so i could sneak out at night.

it was a chess game with my parents. they would build a 8 foot wall, and i would find a ten foot ladder.

• myusername
    myusername

How did you move out at 15? I had a few offers to let me live with people I knew but I was already warped in my thinking. I guess I didn't think I deserved help and had very low self esteem.

• myusername
    myusername

p.s. my parents would have fought it anyway, so I'm not sure it could have really happened.

• fade_away
    fade_away

My wife was a prisoner in her home all her life. She had it about as bad as you had it. She couldn't go to the store without her younger sister or brother. Even in her early twenties, she was supposed to go to bed by 11 pm. After I started dating her, her mother even gave her a phone cerfew so her and I wouldn't talk till 4 am. At 10 pm she was to turn in her phone an our conversation would be interrupted...she was 23 years old for f&%ks sake!!! But she was extremely patient because she knew soon she would be out of there and on her own. Now she's with me and happy to be free.

• talesin
    talesin

myusername,, Yes, I was taken out of school at 14 and basically imprisoned all my life (I was only left alone to attend school pre-14) --- left home at 16, and the religion at 18.

Freedom ... ahhhh!

tal

• d
    d

No but my reading material was censored but not so much anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit