"erbie" thinks you miss the WT, do you ?

by Phizzy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The poster "erbie" on Cedars shunning thread posited that really we "subcosciously miss the peace of mind and purpose we had as part of a world wide brotherhood" and that the Elders or Xelders on here "miss the authority of speech they had in the WT", so they have to post their thoughts on here as an outlet for their ego, is the implication.

Discuss !!!

• designs
    designs

Some people need a nice neat story to life on earth, we bought one version hook line and sinker for a long time. Being an Elder was a weird trip and some of the guys really got off on the power of the position.

• cedars
    cedars

Well, I guess I can only speak for myself. Most men are prideful to at least some degree, and I feel it would be fair and honest to describe myself as a prideful man. Yes, I once briefly served as an elder. I believe that all elders get some form of thrill from the prominence that comes with that position, and the way people treat you differently and value your opinion more. However, I have no interest in wielding authority on this forum. If it were offered to me (i.e. to act as a mod, or something like that) I would turn it down.

Anybody who follows my posts and threads will notice that I have long periods where I fall silent and say very little. This is because I lead an active and fulfilling life beyond this forum, and do not lean on it as a crutch to compensate for any lack of brotherhood or community - even though I have taken therapeutic value from venting on here occasionally (as do many).

In short, I won't deny having an ego (I think most men do) but I don't think this is the driving force behind my work. I am blessed with a set of circumstances (i.e. time, working arrangements) where I can do more than most, and it gives me great satisfaction to think that my work will help others to get out of the cult more quickly than they otherwise would have.

I guess that's all I can say for now.

Cedars

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think you speak for most on here with that, Cedars, and long may your work continue, it will aid many.

What I found laughable too, was erbies contention that we missed " the peace of mind and purpose......."

I was many years in the WT, but had no peace of mind, too much cognitive dissonance for that, and the "purpose" was always a bit vague to me, it seemed to be just serving the WT, not God.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yeah, well I have trouble remembering how my 'cult-self' used to attempt to reason.

Miss the WBT$'s? Not really. If I'm perfectly honest even when I was 'in' and a zeaolous eldub, the way the 'faithful slave'(TM) were worshipped and praised never sat well with me.

I was cozy in my JW cocoon of going to live forever next to a waterfall and have a pet monkey. I miss the delusion that I was one of the chosen few.

Now I'm out I am unsure what I believe but unlike the propaganda the WBT$ pedals I don't stress over it. It's called REALITY and it's sometimes sweet and sometimes bitter...........but it's REAL!

Mrs Punk says that the reason I no longer go to meetings(TM) is becasue I'm too lazy to go out in failed circus. This is totally ironic given that I used to have to drag her out on the failed misery!

Now I can see the evil, vitriol, indifference of the WBT$ I'm glad I'm out, it was messing with my head.

Miss the WBT$. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! If I missed it I'd go back..DUH!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

posted that really we "subcosciously miss the peace of mind and purpose we had as part of a world wide brotherhood"

That "peace" only exists for as long as the blinders are on.

Once the blinders start coming off, the "Real Light" is even more disturbing than the "New Lite". At least at first.

DOC

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    Well, I guess I can only speak for myself. Most men are prideful to at least some degree, and I feel it would be fair and honest to describe myself as a prideful man. Yes, I once briefly served as an elder. I believe that all elders get some form of thrill from the prominence that comes with that position, and the way people treat you differently and value your opinion more. However, I have no interest in wielding authority on this forum. If it were offered to me (i.e. to act as a mod, or something like that) I would turn it down.

While I agree with you that most men are prideful to some degree, myself definately included, I have to respectfully disagree with you that all elders get some form of thrill from the prominence that supposedly comes with the territory. I actually stopped interacting with a certain poster on here for some time due to them offending me by stating I get off on the the thrill of being in such a position which was a ridiculous assertion her part and really enlightened me as to just how ignorant she really was/is regarding my own situation and that of others. It goes without saying that yeah, there are plenty of elders who get off on the so called power trip, but for every egotistical, backstabbing, conniving, politicking elder I know, I can still find plenty who really are genuinely concerned about the congregation and the field service groups they're to head. At the same time, me personally, I hate the attention that comes with it. Can't stand it! I'd be just as happy if nobody knew my name, hell some days I wish I was never born and didn't exist.

As far as this Erbie guy goes, he's either ignorant of why some people post here, or simply a troll looking to stir a hornet's nest. Me personally, I don't really post as long winded as I used to as for the most part I've recieved the therapy I once needed on this forum from both getting things off my chest, and also reading other people's advice and experiences. When I read the posts of other people who've been where I'm at and are already where I'm headed, the common thing I pick up on is, pain. The only times that I've read posts where I picked up on individuals attempting to assert their false sense of dominence on this message board, is the schizophrenic and bipolar nuts on here who believe they've got a special line to God. They post their own little JWN prophecies and visions and other random nonsensible jibberish and often their arrogant to boot.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Peace of mind {God will kill you if you break any of these rules} and purpose {blindly serve an egomaniacal God who will kill innocent children and babies who never did anything wrong simply because they were born to parents who didn't believe the right thing} were not a part of my experience as a witness... maybe I was doing it wrong?

• cedars
    cedars

NRFG - I never suggested that prominence is the sole factor that motivates elders. I merely observed that there is definitely a thrill that comes from being taken more seriously; your words having greater gravitas, whatever you want to call it. If you are saying that you have never felt remotely important in your position, and never felt any buzz from receiving praise after a public talk etc, then I wouldn't dare to contradict this. You are the foremost authority on how eldership effects you personally. However, I would suggest that you are the exception rather than the rule.

That said, we both disagree with the arbitrary stereotype that erbie seems to impose on former/current elders on this forum. It's conceivable that one or two ex-elders might see this forum as a substitute for their former authority and influence, but it certainly isn't a factor with me, nor does it appear to be with you.

Cedars

• james_woods
    james_woods

"erbie" suffers from the classic apologist dilemna - if you are such a good JW, what are you doing posting here?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit