“We are not done yet!” – Candace Conti reacts to appeal court decision

by Watchtower-Free 51 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The court decided that, though Watchtower had neglected its responsibility to supervise known pedophile Jonathan Kendrick in field ministry, a “church-sponsored activity,” the organization had NO duty to warn parents in the congregation that a pedophile was in their midst or report him to authorities.

The Watchtower has no legal duty to "warn" the congregation when consenting adults commit fornication or adultery yet they waste no time in doing so from the platform when they disfellowship someone and then have a talk that hints at the offense shortly afterward and they tell every congregation that the person later attends. Their congregation file follows them wherever they go.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Mrs. Flipper - "What the hell could be worse 'adverse social consequences' than children being molested?"

If I had to guess...

...they're worried about a shit-ton of spurious cases being pursued and tying up the courts' time more than they can afford...

...they're concerned about pedophile witch-hunts similar to what happened in the 80s, when a public freakout occurred and overly-zealous cops and lawyers ended up sending innocent men to prison...

...they're afraid that the more the veil is lifted off of the institutionalized sexual victimization of minors (anywhere), cases that might be too close to home will be exposed and/or it'll look so bad that any remaining public confidence in the justice system will be buggered beyond repair.

Just off the top of my head.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Vidiot: ...they're concerned about pedophile witch-hunts similar to what happened in the 80s, when a public freakout occurred and overly-zealous cops and lawyers ended up sending innocent men to prison...

Are you referring to the Children of God abuse accusations that occurred during that time in California?

The Children of God Cult

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Yeah, pretty much.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Whoops, my mistake, no.

I meant just a general trend that happened in the 80s (although I think the CoG thing might have kicked it off).

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Whoops, my mistake, no.
    I meant just a general trend that happened in the 80s (although I think the CoG thing might have kicked it off).

Vidiot, I think you have brought up a pertinent point in regards to how the Conti case has been played out in the courts to this date.

It is valuable to understand the context of what Candace's legal team is up against. California is the birth place of the Children of God cult that faced many accusations of child abuse during its formative years in the 70s and 80s (and it still continues). It is against that cultural background that this particular case is being fought.

Changing laws through the process of court battles is a long and arduous undertaking. Candace and her legal team deserve the utmost respect for their dedication and hard won victories.

The rewards will have reverberations in the years to come.

• Land of Magog
  • blondie
    blondie

Each step that is taken by an individual, family, religious group, to fight religious groups who hide behind the law, the non-scriptural belief that religious groups can keep secrets, is a win. The Survivors Network Against Abusive Priests (SNAP) was a small group of Catholics and ex-Catholics that used their resources to fight a seemingly impossible goal. Since 1982 they have laid a foundation that other religions can building on. Hurrah for all those brave people. Good results are happening, laws are being strengthened, people are being educated.

http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_press_releases/releases_index_2003.htm

• Watchtower-Free
  • TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown

Apparently, this is Candace's response: "It will depend largely on whether Watchtower is content to lick its wounds and consolidate its losses, or fight to the death under the delusion that Jehovah will carry them to victory against Satan’s hoards."

Is Candace challenging Jehovah?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit