“We are not done yet!” – Candace Conti reacts to appeal court decision

by Watchtower-Free 51 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam
    You are such a great example of courage Candace!!
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

17 minutes ago
    You are such a great example of courage Candace!!
    I agree and givem hell!!
  • JeffT
    JeffT

It seems to me that a piece of the court's reasoning on this, is that determining the actual level of liability in these matters requires a legislative, not judicial, action. The legislature can pass laws saying that church leaders have a duty (for instance) to warn congregants about child molesters, but not shop lifters.

I think this is what's behind the talk about setting a burdensome precedent. If the court decides that the WTBS is liable it has no way of stating where that liability ends. This would flood the courts with potential suits.

So, what we all need to do is petition our legislators to pass regulations regarding background checks etc for ALL adults who work with children.

• steve2
    steve2

The Searcher is right on the money. This is a "victory" of sorts for the organization. It is a far less damaging outcome financially than expected. Even the GB will want this to go away - it just doesn't look good - unlike earlier court rulings that made the organization look morally superior, this case will not having them looking squeaky clean.

Keep in mind that dozens of cases aim for the Supreme Court each year; few make it through.

Lawyers are pragmatic, their clients less so.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Watchtower has painted itself in a corner. In the Conti case the court has consistently found them negligent and liable for the sexual abuse of Candace as a child. The court has consistently awarded Conti millions in damages.

Does the Watchtower and governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses accept this chastisement and legal decision as discipline from Jehovah or do they view it as an unfavorable legal decision.

The Watchtower book "Benefit from Theocratic Ministry School Education" emphatically states that they "appeal unfavorable legal decisions."

One option Watchtower can take is an appeal to the Supreme Court. In this they can present a very weak argument, one guaranteed not to be accepted, and then play the victim card.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

"Bearing thorough Witness" book pg 197

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    Watchtower-Free "Bearing thorough Witness" book pg 197

Thanks for the correction. I just noticed something in the picture that I had never seen before. In the background is a clergyman with a big smile.

Bearing Thorough-Witness About God's Kingdom

• ron rawson
    ron rawson
    Do what's in your heart Candace Conti....we are all behind you 100%. Is enough, enough? Or will you take the boat all the way down the river to the lake? Either way, we all love you. We support you!
  • flipper
    flipper

What the hell could be worse "adverse social consequences" than children being molested? Agh....

Mrs. Flip

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Agreed Mrs. Flipper.

It's so frustrating!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit